LCD TV or monitor for consoles?

Discussion in 'Games' started by kinesin, Dec 16, 2006.

1. kinesin macrumors regular

The gaming good of Macrumors help me.

I'm looking at getting a new display device for my consoles, at the moment that just means my xbox as the s-video on my Relisys LCD monitor sucks. Once the Wii is in stock I'm planning on picking one up, and them grabbing a 360 (2nd hand) around xmas 07. Now I don't have a TV, don't need a TV, and very happy without a TV but I would like to hook up my DVD & macbook to any device purchased.

FYI i live in the UK so my xbox technically doesn't do 480p, but it's been chipped and hence can be enabled (given the correct cables). I don't have any other HDTV source, and certainly no [BR|HD-DVD] stuff. The 360 will be the only thing that can output in 720p and above.

So the question is: WTF is the difference between a HDTV and something like the Dell 24" LCD monitor. The TV's seem to do everything the monitors do, but at much lower cost for a larger screen size.

//confused

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

A TV is likely not going to offer the same resolution as a monitor, which is one big reason for the price difference. A typical LCD TV runs at about 1366 x 768 resolution, while the Dell monitor you mentioned is at least 1920 x 1200 (possibly as high as 2560 x 1600). In other words, LCD monitors have more and smaller pixels than TVs; that's why they tend to cost more.

The monitor should be able to handle anything you throw at it at whatever resolution you like, as long as it has the proper connections. The 24" Dell has, IIRC, component video inputs and VGA, so you can use it with a gaming console, a computer, or a cable box/external tuner, all connected at the same time. The only thing you may find on a TV that's NOT on a monitor is HDMI... I've not seen any monitors yet with HDMI.

BTW, those Dell monitors are pretty cheap now, aren't they?

3. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I went with a westinghouse 42" that I found as an open box special for a 37" price. It's awesome to work with editing and then play some xbox stuff on there.

But yeah if you watch closely you can get a great deal on dell 24" monitors. And they are really awesome reviews and stuff

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Truly, though, anything beyond 1920 x 1080 (or 1200) resolution in an LCD monitor is overkill from the perspective of a gaming console, since none of them support anything above 1080p. So I guess the important question for you is, What are you going to use the display for the most? If TV/gaming, then any TV will suffice as long as it supports 720p/1080i/1080p. If computing, then you'd want 1920 x 1200 or higher. The trade off of that higher resolution is smaller size than a TV will offer.

5. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

2407wfp

I have a 2407WFP hooked up to my Intel 17" iMac, 6 game consoles, a region free DVD player, VCR, and a set top box HDTV tuner. I love it. I don't have much space and this set up is just the right size for me. My consoles are all current or i guess now previous gen hardwae. The highest being a PSTwo and the lowest my trusty Sega Saturn. 480p/i games are beautiful over component video. DVD over the component video can be a little dark depending on the movie. The lower inputs are of course less sharp, but not bad. I do get some trouble from the Saturn and N64. They tile because the display reads them as some rediculously low resolution ?x228 or something. I fixed the problem by passing the video for those 2 consoles through my VCR so it reads as stanard NTSC video. My Dreamcast and GameCube use the same inputs, but don't have this problem.
    Of nothing beats the HDCP signal from HDTV tuner over the DVI port. Although when I first got the the tuner I detected no differnce between HDTV over the VGA and DVI inputs. HDTV over the component inputs produces much more saturated colors and darker blacks, but not as sharp as the DVI. The only real short comming is the DVI only goes up to 720p with HDCP signals. The component can do up to 1080i, but I like 720p over DVI as it takes absolutely no tweeking of the settings to get a perfect picture. I assume the DVI port can do 1080p as long as the video isn't HDCP.