LCD TV v. LCD monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wichard, Feb 14, 2007.

1. wichard macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2003
    I plan on buying a macpro soon with dual monitors. I have been reading around and I have found a couple that I like, Dell 2407WS and Samsung 244T. Check out deal sites now to see if I can pick up one sooner for a better price and run it with my 15" AL powerbook. I am a design major in my last year and every little inch of real estate would help me right now
    -which monitor do you like?

another question, I see on the deal sites mostly ( that the LCD TVs are better priced and some of them look like they have the same 1000:1 ratio to them. I have not read much about this. I did a search and really could not find anything. Is there a big difference from the TV to the monitors besides maybe a cable input?

Thanks very much!
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    the resolution i think is the difference. lcd tvs dont have as high of a resolutions. hopefully someone can confirm that
  3. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    This is a true statement. Right now, LCD HDTVs top out at 1920x1080 (aka 1080p), with most of them at 1366x768. There are no 1080p LCD TV's under 32".

4. wichard thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2003
    ok, thanks for the information. I think I am going to get one dell now and then pick up another one when I get my macpro.
  5. Ironduke Suspended

Nov 12, 2006
    many lcdtvs do not have as good resolution support as a monitor.
  6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    also, don't be fooled by the label "lcd hdtv monitor." this is simply an lcd hdtv without built-in digital hd tuners. but yes, generally monitors have higher resolutions. my 20" display is 1680 by 1050, where my [soon to be] 50" hdtv will have a resolution of 1366 by 768.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2006
    Color Control is Huge Factor As Well

If you are a graphics, video, or internet professional then Color Management is a HUGE factor in this disucssion as well.

An LCD TV will most likely not provide any sort of ColorSync profile (which contains a LUT (Color Look Up Table) that helps the OS, Printer, Monitor, Camera, etc display colors properly.

Additionally, many LCD TV use panels optimized for videos as opposed to the IPV panel which is optimized for color accuracy.

Big factors if you make, or plan to make, your living graphically.