LCD Use a Computer Monitors vs. LCD Television Monitors??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Briarpatch24, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Briarpatch24 macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2007
    Pretty simple - I'm looking to get a second monitor to extend my desktop for graphics work. I'm thinking... if I'm gonna spend the money on a monitor (probably 22"+) i would like to be able to use it as a television as well.

So, the question is: What are the plusses and minuses to using an LCD Television as an external computer monitor? and how does that compare to the plusses and minuses of using an LCD Computer Monitor as a television. I'm most concerned with issues of functionality and ease for both uses, picture quality/clarity (as it relates to resolution and brightness).

Thanks, in advance, for all your help.
  2. apple1984 macrumors member

Aug 19, 2006
    I'd say unless you need something huge (30+), to go with a LCD computer monitor for TV and computing. Dell makes some great, cheap LCDs in the 20-30 inch range, and they have composite/component/s-video inputs for multimedia use.
  3. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Albany, NY
    TV monitors are bigger, but don't have a correspondingly larger pixel count. So you are getting quantity over quality. TV's also are designed and tested to different QA standards so if they have to compromise on TV quality or computer use you know which one will go first.

Get something that is primarily a computer monitor and you will not be disappointed. I will add my nod for Dell monitors, at this point you can pick up a 1920x1200 24" Dell for less than $600 and that includes inputs for other AV equipment.
  4. trlnlty macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2006
    im in the same situation..

im planning to get the 22" dell for 296 and a tv tuner..

any recommendations on tv tuners out there?

i know eye tv works well but the price is kinda steep,

im hoping to get something below $100 if possible.

im current using a 2.16 c2d mbp 1gb ram
  5. itsme92 Guest

Don't get the 22" Dell. Get the 20" or the 24" Dell. (make sure the model names don't begin with 'E') The E models run at a lower resolution, you want a higher resolution screen if you can afford it.
  6. trlnlty macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2006

even if i was just a casual user?

i wont be hooking up any ps3/xbox to it.. just as an external monitor/tv.

the 24" is double the price of the 22" tho .. :-/