LCD v CRT

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cait-sith, Apr 9, 2004.

1. cait-sith macrumors regular

hello apple children,

just wondering what the crt quality is on the new emacs. i'm thinking about getting a desktop emac, and also considering an ibook. the portability would be great for school, but i like working on desktops more. (so i'm basically stuck). is the crt absolute crap, or not too bad compared to the lcd? (it'd be the 12" ibook, which i hear is pretty cramped and hard to see anyways).

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

the CRT on the emacs is a flat 17 inch with 1280 by 960 as the max resolution
    all the emacs i've seen have great monitors the ibook isn't that bad but is at a lower resolution 1024 by 768 as the max
    either is great you can always use VGA out on the ibook to an external monitor
    i'd suggest getting the laptop, i got a desktop for college and regret it having a portable system so i can do my work wherever would be so nice can just go over to my friends and do lab reports together

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I have both a 12" iBook and an eMac. My iBook is old, but still everything is nicer and much brighter on the eMac's screen, not to mention much larger.

4. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

The eMac has a great screen, but I prefer LCD's because they are easier on the eyes.

5. cait-sith thread starter macrumors regular

are apple crt's typically good quality? i've heard of issues with the rev a imac monitors, going dim and stuff like that.

i've got a laptop with bsd on it for days i feel like programming at school. (which are seldom, i like to get the hell out of there asap!)

lcds are easier on the eyes, i agree. but i just sit a good 2-3 feet away from a crt and it's usually okay. they really suck if you lean in to look at them though :eek:

6. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Its also harder when you look at them for long periods. Since CRT's emit light and LCD's filter it, its harsher on the eyes.