LDS Prophet passes away

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by P-Worm, Jan 28, 2008.

1. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

2. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

3. macrumors 601

Don't panic

i thought this thread was about Tim Leary.

Is 'prophet' a purely honorific title for the church leader?

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Haha. That's pretty funny.

No. Members of the church (myself included) believe that the current president of the Church is a prophet in every sense of the word - that he receives guidance from God to direct people on the earth at the time. He can be thought of as a modern day Moses.

P-Worm

5. macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Based on that, is it fair to compare the president of the church to the pope?

6. macrumors 68040

takao

actually i thought the very same thing... ;)

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think that's a fair comparison, but I'm not a Catholic theologian so I can't be 100% sure. But what I understand they are the same 'position' as it were.

P-Worm

8. macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Thanks--I'm not LDS or Catholic, but the parallels seem fairly clear (with the obvious theological differences!).

How is the next president selected? Is there an analog to the College of Cardinals? Or is the number 2 person simply elevated?

9. thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

The answer is that the number 2 person (in this case Thomas S. Monson) becomes the new number 1 (Gosh, this is starting to sound like that old BBC show The Prisoner), but it is much more deep than that. Read on if you care.

The Church believes that when Jesus Christ was on the earth he started His church and called 12 apostles to run the church with a first presidency as head of the 12 apostles (in the New Testament, this was Peter, James, and John). When an apostle dies, a new one is appointed in his place. This can be seen in Acts 1:24-26:

Here, Matthias replaced Judas as one of the Twelve. After this, the history gets muddled and it isn't clear who replaced who. We know Stephen was stoned and that the famous Paul was not one of the original 12, but whether Paul replaced Stephen I don't know.

The Church believes that all of the apostles were killed off quick enough that the Church foundation crumbled and the world fell into a time of darkness and apostasy often referred to as the Dark Ages. At this time, Christ's Church was not on the earth because the direct link with God was not present. The Church believes that the Church was reestablished later when God called Joseph Smith to be the new prophet and president of His Church and called new apostles to rebuild the Church and that it has continued on until today.

What makes the line of succession a little deeper is that I believe that God has chosen when His apostles are ordained. So although Thomas S. Monson is the next in line, he was placed in that spot by God so that he could be the prophet at this time.

Now that Gordon B. Hinckley has died, a new apostle will have to be chosen to fill the vacancy that is now there.

P-Worm

10. macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

With an aside to Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home

11. macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Thank you for taking the time to post that! Very interesting.

12. macrumors 6502a

gusapple

I am not being sarcastic in what I am saying. What you have said here is mostly true, however, when the Prophet dies, the 2nd and 3rd in command (or what was the "First Presidency") is dissolved back into the 12 apostles, so it's more like there are 14 (temporarily). Then, the new prophet and 2 councilors can be chosen out of the 14 men. Historically, however, the "second in command" if you will, has become the new Prophet. Sorry, if you didn't get the lingo, it's kinda hard to explain it all out.

13. macrumors 68030

nbs2

Almost. Traditionally, the longest serving Apostle, after the former counselors rejoin the Quorum, is called to be the President of the church. However, the decision is founded in revelation - that is, it is entirely possible you could be called to be the President of the church.

Naimfan, one big difference in the election is that the College of the Cardinals votes, and selects based on a 2/3 majority (from my understanding). Within the LDS doctrine, the vote must be unanimous. Additionally, any decision must be sustained by the membership of the church at the following General Conference of the Church (held in April and October of every year).

Regarding President Hinckley, his passing is sad and his contributions to the church have rarely been matched. Yet, you could see a sadness behind his joy ever since his wife passed away. I'm sure that he is at peace.

14. macrumors 6502a

gusapple

I agree with that completely, he loved to serve, but he was very lonely without his wife.

15. thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Both of you are right. Sorry about the misinformation.

P-Worm