Leading ‘Ex-Gay’ Organization Closes, Apologizes To LGBT Community

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Jun 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

You heard right folks, I never in a million years expected this but it happened. The founder even gave a sincere, heartfelt apology.

LINK

2. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just saw that.

Whether or not the gay community accepts the apology will depend on each individual, but I think it was classy of Chambers to offer it.

And that's our feel-good news for today. :)

3. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Doesn't make me feel good. I ruined a bunch of lives but hey I'm sorry.. :rolleyes:

4. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

While this is great news, I'm a bit perplexed here. How does a board (I'm assuming anywhere from 6-12 members) just up and decide to dissolve. What changed all their minds?

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

This is what I'm wondering as well. It seems like the whole organization had a major change of heart. And it was a unanimous decision too. Very interesting.

6. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

Maybe God blessed them with gay children of their own and now they see it's not a choice?

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Maybe. Or maybe they just realized that being a bunch of filthy bigots is no way to live their lives.

8. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Or, maybe their god came down and was like; "Hey... HEY! I said DON'T be a twatwaffle! It wasn't Opposite Day when I said it, so STOP BEING *******S!"

9. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

That's a new word for me. :D

10. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

And now that you have learned a new word, to make it your own, you must use it 5 times a day in conversation for 3 days so it becomes part of your daily, working vocabulary.

Finding new friends, a new job, and re-connecting with family members after doing that really won't be too hard.

:p ;) :D

11. macrumors G4

skunk

Sounds delicious! Mmmm! Can I have that with maple syrup?

12. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

Yeah I am at urbandictionary.com right now looking for clarification and how to use it. :D

13. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

It's a glorious word, even my mum uses it now. It actually slipped out when I was playing Tomb Raider, there is a scene in the game where you have to fight off this guy, and when Lara shot him, I was like "Take THAT ya twatwaffle!".

My roommate just stared at me before giggling herself into a case of hiccups.

I. regret. nothing.

14. macrumors 68020

I'm wondering if anyone in charge of this place came out of the closet and accept who they really are?

15. macrumors 68000

VulchR

Or maybe they listened to what scientists have to say.... Nah.

16. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

How could you ignore twatwaffle?

it's such an intriguing mix of words :p

17. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Omg, this is my absolute new favorite-est word ever! I can't wait to use it in conversation!

18. macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

That's two for the price of one. The Twatwaffle that I think is tres fey, and the closing down of the ex-gay group. My week is made.

KGB:cool:

19. macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what the motivation for this (I'm assuming sudden) change of heart? Not complaining, just curious.

Wonder what the fall out amongst far right and fundie religious groups will be.

PS twatwaffle is a frikkin awesome word!!

20. macrumors 68000

VulchR

It was a long day at work yesterday... :p LOL - 'twatwaffle' does kinda roll of the tongue well. The problem is that I have meetings scheduled all day today, and I'll be stuck with a dumb-ass grin on my face the whole time...

21. macrumors 68040

renewed

22. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

23. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Sorry, but as a gay man, there's no way that it can be made delicious. And, I'm even eating ceviche at this very moment!

To be honest, I think even the most extreme right wingers are having to rethink the issue yeah, there are a lot of elderly Americans who will never be able to come to terms with 'teh gays' but, for those under the age of fifty, it's a non- starter.

24. macrumors 68030

Nothing remotely sincere or heartfelt about his "nopology."

They're just rebranding under a new name - he still believes gay people should never have sex and shouldn't be allowed to marry. The goal now is celibacy instead of the conversions they never achieved.

He still claims Exodus did a lot of good. It destroyed lives and families. It drove people to suicide and preyed on children.

He thinks he has something to offer the LGBT community. He doesn't. What he owes us is nothing less than complete withdrawal from public life.

25. macrumors 601

mscriv

The journalist/documentarian Lisa Ling has a show called Our America that is on Oprah's network. She did an episode in 2010 entitled "Pray the Gay Away" that focused on Exodus and this issue in general. Just this week a follow up aired entitled "God and Gays" that specifically deals with Alan Chambers and his efforts to adjust the direction of Exodus International. I watched the episode last night and found it to be very interesting. He meets with a group of "gays and ex-gays" to hear their stories and deliver a personal apology. Here's a link.

[​IMG]