Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130826-6g_nano_4g_touch_cases.jpg

Claimed next-generation iPod nano (top) and iPod touch (bottom) cases
iLounge points to a Chinese site showing cases purportedly for Apple's next-generation iPod nano and iPod touch models. The cases come from Chinese case manufacturer X-Doria.

Most interestingly, the iPod nano cases appear to be designed for a device roughly square in shape, suggesting that Apple's redesigned iPod nano could transition away from the widescreen display used in the current generation to a square touch-enabled display. The move would seem to be an odd choice, however, given that Apple specifically widened the device's display in the last revision to allow for true widescreen aspect ratios to go along with the device's integrated video camera.
The nano 6G case features an open strip on the rear - perhaps for a camera or built-in clip - as well as what appear to be volume buttons and a larger button on the top side while a Dock Connector and headphone port are along the bottom.
The redesign would also bring the iPod nano much closer in size to the iPod shuffle, and it is unclear what that device's future might be within that context.

Earlier today, analyst Shaw Wu claimed that Apple has been sourcing parts for a smaller iPod nano that would lack a traditional click wheel, and these case designs obviously seem to match that assertion.

The claimed next-generation iPod touch cases suggest little beyond that revealed in another purported case leaked earlier this month. Based on the cases in circulation, the new iPod touch is expected to gain a video camera with flash in the upper left corner of the rear of the device, as in the iPhone. The cases also suggest that the new iPod touch will retain the tapered back shell of the current design rather than moving to the flat back seen in the iPhone 4.

Neither of the claimed iPod touch cases include a cover for the front of the device, so there is no evidence regarding a front-facing camera. Several part leaks have, however, shown a small hole centered on the front panel of the device, presumably for just such a camera.

Article Link: Leaked Case Design Suggests iPod Nano May Gain Smaller Square Form Factor

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Peace said:
Well that would explain that story about the small touch screen.

Indeed.

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
I'm not sure where Apple is going on this one.

Seems odd that they would go this route. I mean, they tried the more square shape with the 3rd gen, and seemed to admit that people didn't quite like that shape when they announced the 4th gen.

Maybe the shuffle is getting bigger!

EnigMoiD

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
Well that would explain that story about the small touch screen.

But it doesn't explain why apple would want to give up the larger, widescreen design of the nano. It just seems a little... too small. If Apple is going with this design, the ipod line will have a low-storage, feature-rich gaming touchscreen device, a large-high storage media machine, a tiny touch screen something, and an even tinier music shuffler. Seems like the midline device (the nano) is going to be replaced by something a bit too small.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
But it doesn't explain why apple would want to give up the larger, widescreen design of the nano. It just seems a little... too small. If Apple is going with this design, the ipod line will have a low-storage, feature-rich gaming touchscreen device, a large-high storage media machine, a tiny touch screen something, and an even tinier music shuffler. Seems like the midline device (the nano) is going to be replaced by something a bit too small.

Well that's because the small form factor seen here isn't the Nano but the shuffle.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Rather than flap my chops about this and throw my self righteous, uninformed theories around on this forum, I'm going to wait until Sept 1st. :)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Here's the deal:

The iPod Touch is now the "real" iPod.

If you aren't going to buy that, Apple seems to be saying, then you obviously want something tiny and simple because you are going to the gym or you are a tiny child or something.

Sorry if that doesn't describe you, but I'm just the messenger here. I think it's pretty clear that this is how Apple sees it.

I loved my iPod Mini but the last few versions of the Nano have been very clear about the fact that they're aimed at tweens and not me. This is just an evolution of that philosophy.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
I'll go out on a limb...

the small, square touchscreen is a remote for the new apple TV. Functions like Remote.app but for people who don't already own an i-device.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
Here's the deal:

The iPod Touch is now the "real" iPod.

If you aren't going to buy that, Apple seems to be saying, then you obviously want something tiny and simple because you are going to the gym or you are a tiny child or something.

Sorry if that doesn't describe you, but I'm just the messenger here. I think it's pretty clear that this is how Apple sees it.

Of course the touch will soon repalce the classic. But not untill theres at least over 100GB of storage. More storage means more space for media files as well as apps - the touch's top feature.

thenbagis

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Philly
First the rumor of no more click wheel... now this... I really really hope they don't do a shuffle-style headphone remote control for the nano... that'd really piss me off.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Rather than flap my chops about this and throw my self righteous, uninformed theories around on this forum, I'm going to wait until Sept 1st. :)

Ahhh dammit, I couldn't resist...

Square screen is so it can display a floating click wheel which appears and disappears depending on contact/gesture.

Think I hit the nail on the head there..assuming rumors/pics are accurate and it's a touch screen of course.

Also think the tiny shuffle will be put on ice for now.

Back to iPod and iPod Nano.

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
I reckon the classic will be retired if the touch reaches 128GB.

Also why does the article assume the small square case is for the nano, and not for a new shuffle?? Is there evidence that the shuffle could be retired?

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Looking at the bottom of the pink case it looks like it has a 'lock' button on the left like the iPhone and also + and - on the right (as you look at the picture).

Very interesting.

Maybe the Shuffle will be know more and the nano and shuffle with become one?

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
A totally new form factor makes sense.

At the moment, Apple are pushing the touch in the same way they used to push the nano, as their top end iPod, but the nanos last generation got this odd bulge of features that didn’t suit its form factor, control input etc. and while it made it more relevant in a competitive market, it also did some things that the current ipod touch doesn’t, for instance video.

The best way to remove features without people crying foul is to change the form factor. Plus they can keep the capacities down, maxing it out at 8 gig or something.

At least it’s not going to look like that old chubby nano. That was hideous!

It also seems like the death knell for the Shuffle!

Also ... transparent back on the new touch? Since when did anyone care about seeing that stainless steel scratch magnet? Might suggest new coloured backs for the touch? ... but probably not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.