Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
11.2mm v 10.5 for the AW. The Gear S2 3G is thicker at 13.4 mm.

The oft-quoted and misleading 10.5 mm measurement leaves out the sensor pod.

The Apple Watch 42mm is actually 12.46 mm thick.

image.png

Last edited:

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I am so looking forward to this, great work samsung. I hope apple greatly improves their smartware then ill buy another apple watch

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
except the Apple Watch is thinner than the Gear S2 with more usable screen area.

The Apple Watch does not look chunky at all next to the Gear

apps_1454537571_Dr_Uw_column_width_inline.jpg

But it's ok because it's round. Round is automatically better!
[doublepost=1460678331][/doublepost]
Assumptions, hmmm. Well, considering he clarified in a follow up quote that he was referencing the limited number of apps in the Tizen app store... hindsight being 20/20 does make it pretty obvious.;)

"Emojis make my points seem clever" <- You

csglinux

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
LA
I own iPhones and Android phones, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. I understand some people like the rectangular design of the Apple watch, and I respect that; I happen to prefer the round (watch-looking) appearance of the S2. I love the Gear S2. I'm using my S2 now with a Galaxy S7 Edge. TBH, the iPhone vs Android phone experience is very similar, but the Gear S2 watch is AWESOME, and to me, has so many important features that the Apple watch is lacking. I have the 3G version of the S2 and hand-off between bluetooth and cellular functions on the watch are seamless. When I go running or biking, I no longer have to haul a clunky phone with me. The watch receives all notifications I'd get if I had my phone with me. I get GPS, maps, tracking of workouts (the S2 automatically figures out when you're running or cycling), incoming and outgoing calls and messages and (due to numbersync) all outgoing calls and messages effectively originate from my standard phone number. I can even reply to 3rd party notifications like Whatsapp (I have no idea how that even works, because I have no Whatsapp app installed on the watch). It's true that there are fewer apps for the S2 than the Apple watch, but there's only so much you can do on any watch screen. All the essential stuff is there and it's great to be able to leave your phone at home and still have a way of keeping in touch in case of emergencies. Honestly, there are so many cool features with this watch, I'd run out of e-ink with all the typing.

But here's what worries me about this article: "the Samsung Gear S2 Lite app has to be running in the background for the connection between the watch and the app to be maintained". I used to have a Pebble Time, paired with my 6S Plus. The connection was constantly dropping (either because the BT connection would drop, or because iOS would kill the Pebble Time app - which always happened on reboot/restart). It just meant that I couldn't 100% rely on getting notifications on the Pebble. I strongly suspect the iOS experience with the Gear S2 is going to be similarly crippled (intentionally or otherwise?) as a result of Apple's high-walled garden. My experience with the S7 Edge + Gear S2 has been absolutely flawless. As much as I love Apple, I can't remember the last time I had a flawless experience with an Apple product.

Ok, I love the Gear S2 and was unimpressed with the Apple watch. So perhaps I do have a small puppy in this fight...

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is not an Android Wear device, and I'm not sure your statement regarding them is even accurate.

You are correct, thanks for pointing that out. The S2 is Tizen and not Android Wear. However as a non-iOS device, it's functionality is still limited in the same ways as Android Wear devices. That is, you'll get notifications, like the Pebble; but there's no way to interact with them. And you will not have access to the thousand of smartwatch apps.

Last edited:

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
I use mine with the Note 5. I like that I can still use the watch while my Note 5 has been sent in for repairs.
[doublepost=1460670887][/doublepost]
My Gear S2 doesn't look like any Timex Iron Man i've ever had. I am curious where you got yours at.
[doublepost=1460671421][/doublepost]

My Gear S2 has its own number. AT&T's numbersync automatically syncs your phone number with the watch though. That way you can answer a call on your phone or watch. Also when you are away from your phone you can make calls with just the watch.

I don't own a Gear S2 and never will. Junk.

Reactions: igorsky

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
ROUND. See, Apple? That's how to make watches. Make them ROUND.

Honest question: are you aware that wristwatches have been made in shapes other than ROUND since the beginning of watchmaking? Have you ever seen the Cartier Tank, which is considered a classic?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Honest question: are you aware that wristwatches have been made in shapes other than ROUND since the beginning of watchmaking? Have you ever seen the Cartier Tank, which is considered a classic?
Rectangular and square watches wet dominant from 1920 - 1935, especially in expensive watches, it's the influence of big ass round aviator watches and cheap mass produced round watches issued during the war to soldiers that made round the more dominant design post war. Round watches were cheaper to make and that,s the main reason that design dominated when they entered the market in mass post war.

Watches pre war was mostly a luxury few could afford

The reason many watches were round was because it enabled pocket watch makers to cheep lay convert their production. So, it is supply side imposed design rather than people clamouring for them. With watches initially being a luxury, this fact had less effect in the inter war period

Square and rectangle designs though we're popular in female fashion well after that

warrior2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
I can't help but think Apple Watch adoption would be a whole lot quicker if it actually looked like a watch. I think Jony Ive fundamentally misunderstood that watches are above all jewellery at this point. They should either look funky and fashionable, or high end and classy. Samsung are doing classy here and to be frank the Apple Watch is incapable of competing. It looks like a bloated square devoid of design.

I know looks are subjective, but with the iPhone 6 and now the Apple Watch I fear Jony's gift for making beautiful objects may have left him.

Apple Watch is incapable of competing with the Samsung S2? WTF! I mean you have a right to an opinion but Apple has sold over 10,000,000 Watches by now and Samsung has not even sold 500,000 Gear S2 yet.

So Apple sells 20x more units at a much higher average selling price and you say they can't compete? LOL.

IMO the Samsung S2 looks decent. It isn't an eye sore like the old Moto360 or the older Samsung watches. But it looks like a $20 generic watch. Not ugly, but not something that cost over $20. The Apple Watch on the other hand looks expensive. Even the Sport version looks expensive and its obvious even the bands are super high quality. One thing is for sure. No one is mistaking an Apple Watch for a $20 digital watch. Its look is iconic and having many smartwatch designers thinking why didn't they think of that first.
[doublepost=1460682183][/doublepost]
I own iPhones and Android phones, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. I understand some people like the rectangular design of the Apple watch, and I respect that; I happen to prefer the round (watch-looking) appearance of the S2. I love the Gear S2. I'm using my S2 now with a Galaxy S7 Edge. TBH, the iPhone vs Android phone experience is very similar, but the Gear S2 watch is AWESOME, and to me, has so many important features that the Apple watch is lacking. I have the 3G version of the S2 and hand-off between bluetooth and cellular functions on the watch are seamless. When I go running or biking, I no longer have to haul a clunky phone with me. The watch receives all notifications I'd get if I had my phone with me. I get GPS, maps, tracking of workouts (the S2 automatically figures out when you're running or cycling), incoming and outgoing calls and messages and (due to numbersync) all outgoing calls and messages effectively originate from my standard phone number. I can even reply to 3rd party notifications like Whatsapp (I have no idea how that even works, because I have no Whatsapp app installed on the watch). It's true that there are fewer apps for the S2 than the Apple watch, but there's only so much you can do on any watch screen. All the essential stuff is there and it's great to be able to leave your phone at home and still have a way of keeping in touch in case of emergencies. Honestly, there are so many cool features with this watch, I'd run out of e-ink with all the typing.

But here's what worries me about this article: "the Samsung Gear S2 Lite app has to be running in the background for the connection between the watch and the app to be maintained". I used to have a Pebble Time, paired with my 6S Plus. The connection was constantly dropping (either because the BT connection would drop, or because iOS would kill the Pebble Time app - which always happened on reboot/restart). It just meant that I couldn't 100% rely on getting notifications on the Pebble. I strongly suspect the iOS experience with the Gear S2 is going to be similarly crippled (intentionally or otherwise?) as a result of Apple's high-walled garden. My experience with the S7 Edge + Gear S2 has been absolutely flawless. As much as I love Apple, I can't remember the last time I had a flawless experience with an Apple product.

Ok, I love the Gear S2 and was unimpressed with the Apple watch. So perhaps I do have a small puppy in this fight...

Thanks for your review.

I think for your use purposes the S2 is the better watch. You own a Samsung phone and use the GPS/3G frequently. But what kind of battery life do you get? I've heard with 3G turned on it won't last even a day. Or do you turn off the 3G when you have your phone with you?

I guess for myself (and 10 million others) we prefer a Watch with a stronger App store and more intergration with an iPhone.
[doublepost=1460682245][/doublepost]
The oft-quoted and misleading 10.5 mm measurement leaves out the sensor pod.

The Apple Watch 42mm is actually 12.46 mm thick.

View attachment 626863

And that's good design by Apple. When an Apple Watch is worn you can't even see the sensor pad so the Watch does look 10 mm thick.

Last edited:

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Apple Watch is incapable of competing with the Samsung S2? WTF! I mean you have a right to an opinion but Apple has sold over 10,000,000 Watches by now and Samsung has not even sold 500,000 Gear S2 yet.

So Apple sells 20x more units at a much higher average selling price and you say they can't compete? LOL.

I really have to question what reality some of these people live in, because it sure as hell ain't this one. It's like the 20 people on this site who think the AW is ugly and that smartwatches should be round think that they represent the entire smartwatch market.

jlo1158

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2014
West County
I don't own a Gear S2 and never will. Junk.

Nice to know you can have an unbiased, uninformed observation.
[doublepost=1460685241][/doublepost]

IMO the Samsung S2 looks decent. It isn't an eye sore like the old Moto360 or the older Samsung watches. But it looks like a $20 generic watch. Not ugly, but not something that cost over $20. The Apple Watch on the other hand looks expensive. Even the Sport version looks expensive and its obvious even the bands are super high quality. One thing is for sure. No one is mistaking an Apple Watch for a $20 digital watch. Its look is iconic and having many smartwatch designers thinking why didn't they think of that first.
[doublepost=1460682183][/doublepost]

Thanks for your review.

I think for your use purposes the S2 is the better watch. You own a Samsung phone and use the GPS/3G frequently. But what kind of battery life do you get? I've heard with 3G turned on it won't last even a day. Or do you turn off the 3G when you have your phone with you?

I guess for myself (and 10 million others) we prefer a Watch with a stronger App store and more intergration with an iPhone.
[doublepost=1460682245][/doublepost]

And that's good design by Apple. When an Apple Watch is worn you can't even see the sensor pad so the Watch does look 10 mm thick.

For you apparently the Apple Watch would be better. I have the Note 5. For me the S2 is the better watch. I have the 3G version and haven't had any problem lasting all day. Currently my Note 5 just made it home from being sent in for repair (I'm away from home at work). I can still use the watch to do anything I would do with it if my phone was here. Except install apps. Currently the phone came with all the apps I need preinstalled. I haven't even checked out the app store. Now if you want to go by numbers sold I suppose you would have to agree that Windows is a better OS than OSX. Or is it possible that even with fewer sales it could still be as good or better?

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
Nice to know you can have an unbiased, uninformed observation.
[doublepost=1460685241][/doublepost]

For you apparently the Apple Watch would be better. I have the Note 5. For me the S2 is the better watch. I have the 3G version and haven't had any problem lasting all day. Currently my Note 5 just made it home from being sent in for repair (I'm away from home at work). I can still use the watch to do anything I would do with it if my phone was here. Except install apps. Currently the phone came with all the apps I need preinstalled. I haven't even checked out the app store. Now if you want to go by numbers sold I suppose you would have to agree that Windows is a better OS than OSX. Or is it possible that even with fewer sales it could still be as good or better?

Let's not be coy here. Your on a Apple based website stating why you like your Gear S2. That's nice to hear. I'm not biased, I don't own a Gear S2, I'm sure it has its advantages over the Apple Watch. But let's honest, the Gear S2 and Apple Watch are entirely different Watches. The Gear S2 looks and feels cheap to me, call a spade a spade. The Apple Watch is aiming to be a fitness/health Watch, yet is way more eye catching with its variations of style. I could care less about who has the better battery life, ect.

When I'm wearing my stainless steel version of my Apple Watch and someone says, "Hey, that looks really nice." Then I prefer style with functionality, which the Gear S2 is lacking in one of those Departments. Is it my opinion, yes, but there is no denying the points I listed above.

sznt

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016
If only the Apple Watch did not look like a fat little iPhone and were round I would not need to wait for this app to release.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
If only the Apple Watch did not look like a fat little iPhone and were round I would not need to wait for this app to release.

I sense a Troll a in this forum. I'm glad to read your in depth analysis of how you perceive the Apple Watch. Clearly this post is from someone who has no concept of the Apple Watch or its capabilities.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Unfortunately all of these watches will only work on the level apple allows, which is to say not very well and with many restrictions.

I'd love to pick up a moto 360 sport but it's just too limited. I'm stuck waiting for a better apple watch it seems.
[doublepost=1460697634][/doublepost]
I sense a Troll a in this forum. I'm glad to read your in depth analysis of how you perceive the Apple Watch. Clearly this post is from someone who has no concept of the Apple Watch or its capabilities.
I prefer round watches too. Not to the point I hate apple watch but I don't much care for how it looks. To each his own I guess.

sznt

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016

I don't like walking around with a Pip-Boy on my wrist and that makes me a troll? I am fully aware of what the Apple Watch can do. That doesn't change the fact that it looks just awful, though.

This is straight from my order history by the way:
apple store.png

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
I don't like walking around with a Pip-Boy on my wrist and that makes me a troll? I am fully aware of what the Apple Watch can do. That doesn't change the fact that it looks just awful, though.

This is straight from my order history by the way:
View attachment 626885

Perhaps you should consider the Pebble Time then, very thin, crappy software,lack luster customer support and best of all...You get 7 Day battery life. Your opinion of "It looks awful" makes zero sense. Why would you buy a Watch knowingly what it looks like ahead of time. Thats like I saying, I"m going to but a Toyota Prius, then arrive home with it in the driveway and then saying, "Gee....This car looks awful, why did I buy this." Sounds like someone will selling his Watch on Ebay.

sznt

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016
Perhaps you should consider the Pebble Time then, very thin, crappy software,lack luster customer support and best of all...You get 7 Day battery life. Your opinion of "It looks awful" makes zero sense. Why would you buy a Watch knowingly what it looks like ahead of time. Thats like I saying, I"m going to but a Toyota Prius, then arrive home with it in the driveway and then saying, "Gee....This car looks awful, why did I buy this." Sounds like someone will selling his Watch on Ebay.

I kept it for about four months and then sold it. I bought it for its functionality, but eventually the hideous look of the abomination in question transcended its capabilities, most of which I very much love. I don't like the look of the Pebbles either, or any of the other Android Wear devices. I do like Gear S2 Classic though.

PS: Pebble Time isn't even round by the way. I don't understand why you had to bring that one up.

Last edited:

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
I kept it for about four months and then sold it. I bought it for its functionality, but eventually the hideous look of the abomination in question transcended its capabilities, most of which I very much love. I don't like the look of the Pebbles either, or any of the other Android Wear devices. I do like Gear S2 Classic though.

PS: Pebble Time isn't even round by the way. I don't understand why you had to bring that one up.

PS: Pebble makes the "Pebble Time Round." See the link below. You clearly have not done your homework. Know your source before you make a post stating a claim. Stat 101.

ttp://www.amazon.com/Pebble-Round-Smartwatch-Android-Devices/dp/B015N8XR9O/ref=sr_1_1?s=wearable-tech&ie=UTF8&qid=1460699400&sr=1-1&keywords=pebble+time+round

sznt

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016
Last edited:

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
Pebble Time Round =/= Pebble Time.

PS: STAT 101 would be more about probability and random variables by the way.

You stated verbatim "Pebble is not even round by the way". In your vague and non-descriptive previous statement, I replied with a post stating your misconception and corrected you. You do not have an argument. It appears your much more talented in mathematics iwth probability and variables then you are making accurate/legitimate posts. Welcome to Macrumors. Good to know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.