Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcelNBG

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
Bavaria
199$ - 16GB
299$ - 64GB
399$ - 128GB

would make a lot of sense. 100$ for the first additional 48GB, 100$ for the next 64GB.

(Right new it's 100$ for the first additional 16GB, 100$ for the next 32GB, which is a bit uneven, as well as expensive.)

The steps you see are OK, but it's so funny you Americans always forget that these prices are not the real prices. They are:
$649
$749
$849
You pay the difference via the monthly Carrier fee!

No wonder you always buy wooden Houses you can't pay... ;-)

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Maybe Apple has removed the 32GB model- that was, there's a cheaper 16GB option, a 64GB option that cost the same as the old 32GB model and the 128GB model that costs the same as the 64GB model did beforehand.

Just an idea. ;)

sandmanfvr

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
Wow everybody says 32 gb is dead, ever thought two 16 gb chips may be cheaper on them and there is 32 gb OR they are starting at 32gb? Just saying, I don't see them going from 16 to 64, but if they do then $100 to jump that amount wouldn't be to bad.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
A 64GB at $749 would be fantastic.

I would love if they skipped the 16GB and went to 32GB.. It would still be nice if they skipped the 32GB and went straight to 64GB.

This would at least make marketing sense. People would still buy the 16GB at $199/$649 but even more would opt to pay the extra $100 to go to 64GB than they do now.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The steps you see are OK, but it's so funny you Americans always forget that these prices are not the real prices. They are:
$649
$749
$849
You pay the difference via the monthly Carrier fee!

No wonder you always buy wooden Houses you can't pay... ;-)

My monthly phone bill with AT&T is $125. I haven't forgotten anything. :rolleyes:

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
It's not a gimmick. Not if you've had the opportunity to actually use a phone as your daily driver and use the feature. It's like setting it down on a table when not in use only it's charging instead of draining.

Once apple gets it in their phone you will understand.

It's a niche capability... not a gimmick, but focusing on 'mobility' is critical. A smaller form/weight factor by not having the inductive components is a critical trade off, as you'd still need the lightning connector for other needs (secure data/SW sync.), let alone sending the charging pad with every unit. These add up in terms of costs up front and afterwards, for something 99% of the people DON'T think about when buying a mobile phone. People would rather have an an hour more talk time than spending an ounce on wireless charging.

You can always add on inductive charging, for yourself, and not affect the masses. But adding 15-30gm to the phone is something Apple can't take off for millions of people who don't need/want it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Maybe Apple has removed the 32GB model- that was, there's a cheaper 16GB option, a 64GB option that cost the same as the old 32GB model and the 128GB model that costs the same as the 64GB model did beforehand.

Just an idea. ;)

it makes kinda sense in a marketing kind of way. people who usually buy the cheap base model will be like hmmmmm with 100$ more i can get so much more space. win win for apple.

its like selling a coke for 1€, 2€ & 4 €. most people would pick the middle cuz it indicated something is probably wrong or too cheap on the 1€ one but if u give them only a 1€ and 2€ option they pick the cheaper one.

sandmanfvr

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
it makes kinda sense in a marketing kind of way. people who usually buy the cheap base model will be like hmmmmm with 100$ more i can get so much more space. win win for apple.

its like selling a coke for 1€, 2€ & 4 €. most people would pick the middle cuz it indicated something is probably wrong or too cheap on the 1€ one but if u give them only a 1€ and 2€ option they pick the cheaper one.

You might be right, I like 32 gb for me I use half of it and have plenty of space, I have lived on 16 gb but it sucked. Maybe the 32 gb is just not sold enough? I was planning to do $299 for my upgrade and if that is 64 gb, then that is awesome but to me Apple should just start at 32 gb, but we know this has been talked about to death on here. :D

What the peoples want is a slot for an SD card.

Not happening, and I can say "ever" with 99% assurance. Why? Apple wants FULL control of their ecosystem, not left up to consumers. IF that changed with a new CEO later on, then yeah but right now I don't see this happening for a long time if ever. :(

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
With all the efforts to keep things secret, why would Apple allow some random repair company early access to its schematics? Especially when there are no iPhone 6's available for sale yet - forget about repair.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Apple hoses consumers on the price they charge for RAM. They do it on all of their devices and have made it virtually impossible to add RAM after purchase save for the Mac Pro. I wish they'd allow external RAM ...like a Samsung ....there, I said it.... and let the consumer add RAM as needed.
:cool:

You could buy a lighting adapter for any of the idevices and put as much storage as you want.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
64GB has been great on my 5. I hope they stop offering 16GB and drop prices down a bit. It would be nice to pay $100 less for the 64GB this time around.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Wow everybody says 32 gb is dead, ever thought two 16 gb chips may be cheaper on them and there is 32 gb OR they are starting at 32gb? Just saying, I don't see them going from 16 to 64, but if they do then $100 to jump that amount wouldn't be to bad.

no... 2 16s wouldn't be cheaper. because of 3D real estate, power consumption and . This is not a PC motherboard with 8 PCIe expansion slots. it's a mobile phone with every cubic mm spoken for.

For me, I have a hard time retiring the 32 size, and more in retiring the 64. There are 2 types of apple users... those that keep their data center in their pocket, and those that keep it in the cloud. The latter shouldn't need more than 32 (16 is too small if I'm any indicator of the hybrid... about 4GB of synced audio/podcasts, and 8GB of photos and video as of today) and the former will pay for the maximum amount they can get.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014

What if they keep current prices, so
16GB 199$
32GB not available
64GB 399$
128GB 499$

in the coke example is like having the small for 1$, medium for 3$ and big for 4$
If the small one is not enough for you, it's very likely that you'll go for the big, since is only 1$ more than the medium.
Is just 100$ more, but what if I need the extra space in the future?

Anyway I don't think they'll skip the 32GB option

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
What the peoples want is a slot for an SD card.

peoples = you and a few antiquated luddites, and a couple prosumers who have huge data needs (photographers/vidographers).

when you're selling 150 Million units over a 3 year life span, the last thing you want is adding something to the base model that 140 million people WON'T use.
That's space/cost you could use to add that everyone could use.

connect your SD via a connector.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
What if they keep current prices, so
16GB 199$
32GB not available
64GB 399$
128GB 499$

in the coke example is like having the small for 1$, medium for 3$ and big for 4$
If the small one is not enough for you, it's very likely that you'll go for the big, since is only 1$ more than the medium.
Is just 100$ more, but what if I need the extra space in the future?

Anyway I don't think they'll skip the 32GB option

At mcdonalds the coke is just a dollar for any size.....

I really hope the 128 is true and I really hope it's not 949+tax off contract, if it is apple should start accepting cars as trade ins...

TypeEE

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
They will make only 64gb and 128gb 4.7" and lure you to subscribe to their 1tb icloud drive

aleksoctop

macrumors regular
May 8, 2011
So how is it the lowest is 16GB, the stepup is 64GB and the max is 128?
Why doesn't Apple raise the standards and have 32GB be the BASE model?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.