Leaker in Plame case - Karl Rove?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Lawrence O'Donnell claims to know the source for Matt Cooper's information on Valerie Plame's status as a CIA agent. None other than Karl Rove himself. It has been rumored for a long while, but if true could well mean a trial for Rove.

link

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"suggest a perjury rap?" what about treason and a death sentence?

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Indeed. This is the kind of thing which, in the past, has gotten people executed for treason.

Rove has always been my #1 suspect. From what I've read about him, he's mean-spirited, a sociopath and a revenge freak. It would not be unlike him.

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

You know Democrats support a womans right to choose though. Besides that, Valerie needed to be exposed, she was asking for it.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How would O'Donnell be privy to this information, I wonder? If he isn't right, he's going to look quite the fool. If he is right, Rove deserves to be hung by his thumbs. And I'm sure every Republican agrees. Right?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Funny, it's gone awfully quiet in here all of a sudden...

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

This is coming from many different sources now. The basis for these claims supposedly lays in the documents that have been ordered released.

As the scandals add up, the lies become exposed, and the hypocrisies are exposed, you have to wonder how much more has to be done before people really start questioning why they want to put their faith in these people.

There is no low for this Administration, and yet there are people who believe in and defend them. Religious people as well, who are still under the impression that it is for some kind of greater good.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The precedent is unfortunate but I can't help but wonder if Time is doing this more out of political motivation. Whatever, if it is Rove, how will he run the country from inside a prison, or worse in front of a firing squad? bushco is all in favor of executing those without redeeming social qualities, n'est ce pas?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Isn't that a recipe for mass suicide at the White House?

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Being a conservative, I respect Carl Rove. However, if he is in any way responsible for this, he should be removed in some way, shape or form from his position...

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

If you believe lying under oath is a crime then yes he should be treated like a criminal if it is proven he is, Just like clinton should have, I think every democrat would agree, right! I thought so.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Even I, an ignorant foreigner unfamiliar with your arcane language, can tell that you are comparing apples with oranges. Not a productive occupation in any language.

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I don't think Clinton should have been put under oath in the first place. Instead of answering the question and lying, he should have said "that is none of your business and is not relevent to my presidency," or something similar.

14. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Lying under oath is Lying under oath. When apples lie under oath, they are doing the same as oranges when they lie under oath. No matter your definition of "is".
    If you are comparing why they are under oath, than yes these are different reasons. Murder is murder whether for love or money, different reasons with the same real outcome.
    If Rove is found guilty, then sentence him. I have no problem with that. I have no support for the illegalities of Nixon nor Clinton.

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Is he an apple or an orange?

Or Carter, or Johnson, or Kennedy, or every single President before and since.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Maybe you don't acknowledge a difference between failing as a man and failing as a President. I do.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Wether or not I agree with the political ideas of a party or not, does not close my eyes to the fact that every single administration has done illegitamate crap from time to time. White lies, black lies, boldface lies, whatever. Based on the "man" or the "office" it still happens and will continue to.
    Are some more or less worse than others? I don't know, I just know that when our leader, dem or rep, stands up under oath and lies to the nation, it is the wrong thing to do. When they do it to pursue National Interest I can't say it is better either.
    If having sex and lying about it, is a failing of the man only, than I beg to differ. As president, it is a misuse of trust (intern and all) and as the Commander and Chief, an infraction of the UCMJ (uniform code of military justice), as well as the civilian problem of perjury.
    If lying about arms sales to the central americans is a failing of a president, than fine, atleast it was in that persons view, a benefit to a country and not himself. Still wrong, less selfish, and violates loads of laws as well.
    The man being the "apple" (biblical fall) and the president being "oranges", I see the apple as selfish and stupid, the orange being stupid.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think we're beginning to see the form damage control will take if Rove is indeed the leaker. We'll hear nonstop references to Clinton's alleged crimes and various other distractions and obfuscations, and little if any outrage coming from the Republican side directed at Rove, and certainly no insistence that he be prosecuted for what is clearly a federal crime. No Republican who wishes to ever attend a party function again will call it an act of treason, though every last one of them would if a Democrat, let alone a Democratic president's chief political advisor in the White House, had done anything even remotely similar.

It's all perfectly predictable, really. Defend the party at all costs.

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That's a valid point. Lying for your own benefit is clearly something different from lying for the sake of the country. The flip side of that though is if you're wrong about your reasons, you've added perjury to screwing the country over. It also seems hard to believe that the Bush administration was that naive and idealistic to believe that Iraq and Afghanistan would be easily set up in a few years into model democracies. I think you're right. They lied about this going into it because they believed it was in their own best interest: a state of permanent war that they could exploit for their own financial and political gain.

20. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Clinton?

This is about Karl Rove, who is currently the issue. And whose actions not only include lying but directly and purposefully breaking federal law for political retaliation.

Lets not forget the difference. Rove knew what he was doing and why he did it, assuming it was Rove. Whoever did do it, knew the same.

Clinton broke no federal laws and was his personal life was politicized because his political life was untouchable, though they tried to harm both. The sole reason of putting him under oath was to make a big deal out of the fact that he was under oath. Cause apparently that is what make all the difference, not what he was lying about or anything.

Besides, Clinton lied and nobody died. If you want to bring liars into the issue, our current President trumps all.

So, for once, it would be nice to stay on topic and actually deal with Karl Rove who is the issue here, like it or not. Karl Rove who has been acting with seeming impunity over the past decade or more may have finally gone too far again. Karl Rove is the person who has potentially broken federal law.

Unless you think that nothing should be punished because an example of someone else having done it can be found, it seems like people should be judged individually on the seriousness of what they have done. Or why not just go around killing people, OJ and Robert Blake did it.

21. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link.

Newsweek breaks the story. If only the Downing Street Memo had received this much attention.

22. mcarvin macrumors regular

Plame is to GWB as Watergate was to Nixon - the spark that lit the fire and broke an administration wide open. The Memo should (!) come into play if there's a grand jury or special investigation ordered.

23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I was thinking along similar lines, the DSM may have been too much to start with. But this is a good example of how these people operate. Either way, it is becoming apparent that the Administration had a direct role in exposing Plame and knowingly broke the law. Which makes a bold faced liar of GWB, who vowed to go after the leaker, in much the same way OJ is still looking for the real killer it seems.

24. mcarvin macrumors regular

I want to say that Rove's strategies and tactics over his career would eventually backfire on him at some point. And should that ever happen, it ain't gonna be for a stupid little jaywalking offense. I just hope that if there's an independent prosecutor, that that person is tenacious enough to turn over every rock during the investigation.

This has his fingerprints all over it. If the charge is levied against him and he's found guilty, and just one single undercover operative lost a life as a result, he should swing from the rafters. I would not be a fair juror for that case.