Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Reasons Two-Tone iPhone Leaks are Real:

1. Multiple consistent rumors of a 4” 16:9 iPhone.

2. Actual part leaks from various sources, all consistent. (And no, last year’s ‘tear-drop’ iPhone never had part leaks. It was just pure speculation from websites).

3. Dock Connector changing, along with Headphone Jack (Why would you change a trademark Apple port on a fake leak? If anything you would keep it consistent with the current iPhone to make it credible).

4. Why would Apple put out fake leaks? It would only draw attention to the fact a new iPhone is coming, causing Apple to possibly lose sales by people not buying a 4S (Note: You may argue Apple wouldn’t lose sales, they would be delayed. However, if people hate these fake leak’s appearance, they may purchase another smartphone now. Also, people in the market for a new phone may buy an intermediate phone; but, they may never upgrade to the new iPhone because their intermediate phone works fine.)

5. Here’s good one from Apple-nerds and people who are smarter than the average-bear: sites like Daring Fireball or LoopInsight haven’t posted these recent leaks at all (as of 8/27/12). Both sites are well connected to Apple (Apple often confirms things to The Loop). Those sites would never do anything to piss off Apple; they never post negative things. Don’t you find it odd that those well-connected sites that are all about Apple didn’t post a very convincing leak (it would be like MacRumors completely ignoring this current leak).

6. The fact that it looks like a subtle realistic change makes it hard to deny. Every other mockup looks insanely ridiculous.

Regardless of what Tim Cook said about secrecy, a product of this size and magnitude will leak (like it has).

Edit: Lastly, I want to reiterate something; we never had consistent major part leaks from various sources be fake. To note, the iPhone 4 leaked in January - April of 2010. All were consistent. This Two-Tone iPhone is following the same path.

Last edited:

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
OnT: It looks like something Apple could do, i don't think the black is something that would look good IRL. The white right now seems much better. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I apologize if there are others just like this; I didn't see a thread that discusses that the leaks are real and not fake.I've seen threads showcasing the leaks where people are complaining about the design but not one like this.

Also, I visit these forums daily. I haven't seen a thread started like this. The main purpose of my thread was point out things people have missed (apparently, a lot of people think this leak may be fake because last year tear-drop iPhone leaks weren't real (FYI: a tear-drop design never leaked, just mockups)).

Last edited by a moderator:

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
But rumours are still just rumours. Remember all of the crazy rumours before the iPhone 4S? They were all wrong. Well, most of them anyway.

However, we have to look at how the phones upgrade.

iPhone 2G (1.0)

iPhone 3G (2.0)

iPhone 3GS (2.5)

iPhone 4 (3.0)

iPhone 4S (3.5)

The new iPhone..? (4.0)

Technically, you can say that the next generation iPhone is the 4th generation. The "speed" versions are, like the names suggest, faster variations after all.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
All your points also applied to last year's wedge shaped iphone 5...

Uhh...no they don't. Did you even read what I wrote? Reread my second point about the tear-drop/wedged design. And also there was no consistent rumor about the wedge design; there were many rumors about it, but there were a handful of rumors of about a thinner design, along with the "4S" rumor (which turned out to be true).

Currently, we only have one rumor that has been consistent for over 3 months.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
But rumours are still just rumours. Remember all of the crazy rumours before the iPhone 4S? They were all wrong. Well, most of them anyway.

However, we have to look at how the phones upgrade.

iPhone 2G (1.0)

iPhone 3G (2.0)

iPhone 3GS (2.5)

iPhone 4 (3.0)

iPhone 4S (3.5)

The new iPhone..? (4.0)

Technically, you can say that the next generation iPhone is the 4th generation. The "speed" versions are, like the names suggest, faster variations after all.

If you're going off strictly design changes, you are correct. However, the jump from iPhone to iPhone 3G was the most underwhelming update to date. As far as I'm concerned, the iPhone 3G was 1.5

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I don't see how multiple rumors of the same dimensions prove any of them right. Maybe they are all just bandwagoning, hoping this will be the case to say they were right when the time comes.

2. Actual part leaks from various sources, all consistent. (And no, last year’s ‘tear-drop’ iPhone never had part leaks. It was just pure speculation from websites).
Were any of these confirmed parts? I thought they were all just claimed part leaks.

3. Dock Connector changing, along with Headphone Jack (Why would you change a trademark Apple port on a fake leak? If anything you would keep it consistent with the current iPhone to make it credible).
Again, someone probably caught wind of this from "someone at apple" and everyone ran with it. I'm not saying it won't happen, because I think it's likely. But the stories about "apple to provide adaptor for new dock connector"? WTF? Of course they're going to provide an adaptor.

4. Why would Apple put out fake leaks? It would only draw attention to the fact a new iPhone is coming, causing Apple to possibly lose sales by people not buying a 4S (Note: You may argue Apple wouldn’t lose sales, they would be delayed. However, if people hate these fake leak’s appearance, they may purchase another smartphone now. Also, people in the market for a new phone may buy an intermediate phone; but, they may never upgrade to the new iPhone because their intermediate phone works fine.)
I'm pretty sure it's been established that Apple has put out fake leaks before to determine the source of a leak. Why would news of a new iPhone drop sales? They release a new one each year. Everyone should know by now that the next model is always going to have some new feature that last years didn't. If you don't know this, you're a retarded consumer. Please put down your credit card....now.

5. Here’s good one from Apple-nerds and people who are smarter than the average-bear: sites like Daring Fireball or LoopInsight haven’t posted these recent leaks at all (as of 7/30/12). Both sites are well connected to Apple (Apple often confirms things to The Loop). Those sites would never do anything to piss off Apple; they never post negative things. Don’t you find it odd that those well-connected sites that are all about Apple didn’t post a very convincing leak (it would be like MacRumors completely ignoring this current leak).
I'm not familiar with these sites, but have they ever posted "leaked" or rumored photo's of any previous products? You say they don't do anything to piss off apple. Why would they start now? This point seems ill-grounded and seems to contradict itself.

6. The fact that it looks like a subtle realistic change makes it hard to deny. Every other mockup looks insanely ridiculous.
I'm still under the impression that one fairly realistic rumor design came out, and then everyone latched onto that design so eventually, if everyone says it's the new iPhone, well then *****, it must be the new iPhone.

Regardless of what Tim Cook said about secrecy, a product of this size and magnitude will leak (like it has).
Some things will get out, yes. But I doubt any of this stuff is real considering how long before release day we still have to go.

Honestly, to me, these "leaked photo's" look like a well made chinese knock off.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Some things will get out, yes. But I doubt any of this stuff is real considering how long before release day we still have to go.

Honestly, to me, these "leaked photo's" look like a well made chinese knock off.

Literally an exact quote I read on the iPhone 4 thread when it leaked in April 2010 (which made it's first leak in January 2010, then in March 2010, and finally in April by Gizmodo). Even if you only look at the historic Gizmodo leak, it leaked 2 months before iPhone 4 was released.

Also, for your response to my number 5 point that says "You say they don't do anything to piss off apple. Why would they start now? This point seems ill-grounded and seems to contradict itself." : Why would those sites worry about pissing off Apple if these are obvious fakes? And no, they don't post leaks. They post about that leaks (Ex. Last year, Daring Fireball commented on how the tear-drop iPhone was flawed and most likely not true).

The "multiple independent sources" and part leaks for this iPhone have been verified by other Apple sites (iMore, CultOfMac, iLounge, MacRumors as well); as in, those sites only posted those rumors once they heard it from multiple independent sources (therefore, sites can't bandwagon since it would after the fact).

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I guess what I'm getting at, is who verifies that these are actual parts? Did someone walk into FOXCONN and ask them "Hey, did you guys make these parts?" How does one verify a leak if the sources are legally held by an NDA? I've been trying to read back on old macrumors news and so far I have only still seen "claimed" parts for next iPhone.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I guess what I'm getting at, is who verifies that these are actual parts? Did someone walk into FOXCONN and ask them "Hey, did you guys make these parts?" How does one verify a leak if the sources are legally held by an NDA? I've been trying to read back on old macrumors news and so far I have only still seen "claimed" parts for next iPhone.

This is the same thing I'm thinking. Everyone talks about these parts as if they were purchased at an Apple store. It's not that hard to imagine multiple "Parts" being made based on a single rumor. Hell last year we had actual cases being sold on ebay based on renderings. And for the naysayers, most of these leaks help only one group of people...the site that leaks it. Don't think it's not in their best interest to push stories that drive page views.

FSMBP said:

Do you see the irony in your first statement? Your claiming that rumors are proof. Kind of like me saying Aliens exist because multiple people in Arizona have mentioned seeing something in the sky at night.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
This is the same thing I'm thinking. Everyone talks about these parts as if they were purchased at an Apple store. It's not that hard to imagine multiple "Parts" being made based on a single rumor. Hell last year we had actual cases being sold on ebay based on renderings. And for the naysayers, most of these leaks help only one group of people...the site that leaks it. Don't think it's not in their best interest to push stories that drive page views.

Do you see the irony in your first statement? Your claiming that rumors are proof. Kind of like me saying Aliens exist because multiple people in Arizona have mentioned seeing something in the sky at night.

Just making sure I wasn't the only one with that line of thinking.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009

I see what you're saying. But this could be said about every rumor. And last time I checked when we got multiple consistent part leaks, it turned out to be true (see the consistent iPhone 4 leaks from Jan - April 2010).

We're talking about iPhones. Last year, there were *many* rumors; all different from each other: tear-drop iPhone, a super-thin aluminium, and a "4S".

My point was, we've only got one rumor. And multiple independent sources say the same exact thing. It's one thing when we gotta multiple different rumors and various different part leaks; it's another when we got one rumor and all consistent part leaks.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Also, for your response to my number 5 point that says "You say they don't do anything to piss off apple. Why would they start now? This point seems ill-grounded and seems to contradict itself." : Why would those sites worry about pissing off Apple if these are obvious fakes? And no, they don't post leaks. They post about that leaks (Ex. Last year, Daring Fireball commented on how the tear-drop iPhone was flawed and most likely not true).

Ok, thanks for that clarification. So what you were saying is that they haven't tried to refute these rumors yet like they did in the past?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Ok, thanks for that clarification. So what you were saying is that they haven't tried to refute these rumors yet like they did in the past?

What I'm saying is that they are completely mums-the-word on the leak. Which is unusual in general.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
What I'm saying is that they are completely mums-the-word on the leak. Which is unusual in general.

Are you talking about Apple? Please provide proof of an instance where Apple has responded to a leak prior to the device being released. And don't bring up the iPhone 4 because Apple responded to a Police investigation. At D10 Steve Jobs still claimed the phone was stolen from the bar and not lost at the bar...so Apple did respond with a police report which is different from commenting on a leak on some website.

And BTW...Tim Cook has stated repeatedly that Apple will double down on security. Not commenting on leaks is #1 on the list for keeping things secret.

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
From iMore:
*Take a ton of leaked parts, supposedly for Apple's next generation iPhone 5

*Rumors and feature wish-lists include a 4-inch screen, faster Apple A5X chipset, real 4G LTE networking, and, of course, thinner and lighter.

From CultofMac:
*Leaked snapshots of purported next-gen iPhone parts have surfaced in recent months,

*Obviously, these “parts” could just be elaborate renders or a prototype, but they do line up with the rumor mill’s predictions.

From iLounge:
More photos claiming to show a partly-assembled next-generation iPhone have appeared online. Repair shop iLab has posted a number of photos showing the various purported repair parts for the next-generation iPhone pieced together to form a hollow but otherwise very convincing shell of an iPhone.

I still have yet to see where these leaks were confirmed or verified as being legit.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
There's one thing I find weird though.

With the high number of leaks recently which come mainly from Asian sources, the leaked parts would likely be production units and not prototypes from Cupertino right?

Then they would require to have the regulatory FCC stuff written somewhere.

iPhone 4/4S:
newiphone4backpanel.png

It has "Assembled in China", FCC ID and FCC/CE logos which are all legally required on all production units AFAIK.

Now if you look at the most recent leak, which you would guess is a production unit given the timing and all related internal parts that are brand new and not assembled.

iphone-leak_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Now where are the regulatory writings on that one? Would Apple produce an illegal phone? I don't think so.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO

I agree with you, and I hope we are right. Every website which has a potential leak or a credible looking part would want to post it. They want web traffic, and people to click on the advertising links on their page.

Sales for the iPhone have dropped right before the next model EVERY year. You are right, people who don't know by now, are either buying their first one, or they need to work on their purchasing skills. Hell, store employees will tell you the new one is coming sometime soon. I have hear Best Buy Mobile employees tell customers they are pretty sure it will come out in the Fall (even though they shouldn't cuz they could lose the sale today if the customer had no idea).

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Are you talking about Apple? Please provide proof of an instance where Apple has responded to a leak prior to the device being released. And don't bring up the iPhone 4 because Apple responded to a Police investigation. At D10 Steve Jobs still claimed the phone was stolen from the bar and not lost at the bar...so Apple did respond with a police report which is different from commenting on a leak on some website.

And BTW...Tim Cook has stated repeatedly that Apple will double down on security. Not commenting on leaks is #1 on the list for keeping things secret.

Nope. I was talking about Daring Fireball and The Loop.

From iMore:

From CultofMac:

From iLounge:

I still have yet to see where these leaks were confirmed or verified as being legit.

No one can confirm it if it isn't announced. That's why they are rumors. I'm just using rational logic.

The same logic I used when I knew no new iPhone would be released at WWDC 2011 (where half the members here were certain), and the same that I guessed an iPod touch would get a camera (where members here argued that it wouldn't because it would eat iPhone sales).

However, pgiguere1 brings a good point about the FCC stuff.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If you're going off strictly design changes, you are correct. However, the jump from iPhone to iPhone 3G was the most underwhelming update to date. As far as I'm concerned, the iPhone 3G was 1.5

Really? Edge was awful. I had the original iPhone, and I was thrilled to switch to the 3G. Also, we got the App Store alongside the 3G... Granted that was a software upgrade.

I still remember hating when I traveled back and forth from College because I had 3G at home and 3G at school, but not while I was driving. If I wanted a song on the road, it took FOREVER to download it.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
From iMore:

From CultofMac:

From iLounge:

You obviously did not read the first post. The OP isn't saying they are DEFINITELY 100% real nor did he say a website has, but rather explaining WHY IT'S POSSIBLE they are real.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
There's one thing I find weird though.

With the high number of leaks recently which come mainly from Asian sources, the leaked parts would likely be production units and not prototypes from Cupertino right?

Then they would require to have the regulatory FCC stuff written somewhere.

iPhone 4/4S:
It has "Assembled in China", FCC ID and FCC/CE logos which are all legally required on all production units AFAIK.

Now if you look at the most recent leak, which you would guess is a production unit given the timing and all related internal parts that are brand new and not assembled.

Now where are the regulatory writings on that one? Would Apple produce an illegal phone? I don't think so.

A true and valid counter-argument. That makes me wonder too...it could be a manufacturing prototype, but maybe not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.