Leap Motion Controller Delayed Until July for Longer Beta Test

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 25, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The public release of the Leap Motion controller has been delayed until July because the company feels it needs a longer beta test, reports TechCrunch. Best Buy has sent notifications to customers who preordered the device, and Leap today said the device will ship July 22th.

Leap Motion's controller is a touch-free device that allows users to control their computers via hand gestures in three dimensions. It works in conjunction with the Leap Motion software, and development units have been sent to 10,000 developers around the world.
    The Leap Motion controller is currently available for pre-order from the website for $79.99. At the moment, however, the Leap Motion website still says it will ship on May 13th.

Article Link: Leap Motion Controller Delayed Until July for Longer Beta Test

2. macrumors 6502a

cerote

Very sucky. It was only a couple weeks away and I was getting excited for it.

3. macrumors member

Ah- I was hoping to hear that apple took over the tech, then we'd see it in the new "iTV"

4. macrumors newbie

This is why big VCs avoid hardware startups. They're wrought with delays and issues that hurt the potential customers more than software delays.

5. macrumors 6502

Interesting. Maybe apple should look into buying them out. However I bet they already have experimented with this technology.

6. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

It a nice idea ; really hope they make it to market ...:D I want one

7. macrumors newbie

8. macrumors 6502

Controller may *LEAP* into July release.

I'll let myself out.

9. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh for pity's sake, I pre-ordered this at the end of June last year. 13 months is unbelievable ...... Hope they throw in some decent goodies for those of us that pre-ordered so far back.

10. macrumors 6502

11. macrumors member

Ugh, I know right. It was so close, I was getting super excited. :( lame

12. needfx, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

macrumors 68030

needfx

I'm so buying this

edit1
    if a piece of software should be added in their so called "airspace", that's zbrush.

edit 2
    browsing ponr on this is going to be an issue

13. macrumors member

Btw, question....

Is this going to function just like a USB mouse / input?

Will it work with our OS globally at launch and will all my native apps? What about third party apps like photoshop? Or do I need to wait until all third party companies like Adobe to support it in programs like photoshop?

14. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

And the email lands... :(

----------

You should be able to let it function like a mouse on most basic level, but obviously the more time developers integrate it into apps the more things it'll be able to do.

Bing able to grab an image in photoshop and pinch the air to zoom or control / move it around etc.

15. macrumors newbie

1st delay?

This is definitely not the first delay of the leap. When I preordered it towards the end of last year I was told it would ship in either December or early January. Then it was pushed back to the May date, and now July... Its getting to the point where I feel like its never coming. My initial excitement about the whole thing is long gone

16. macrumors member

17. macrumors regular

Exotic-Car Man

I'm waiting for the wireless second generation anyway. Hopefully that'll be out before 2015.

Too many people are screwing this up nowadays. It's not that hard: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.

18. macrumors 68000

Lancer

It would be fantastic if Apple could license this tech to go in future iMac's and their laptops. It would give a wow factor missing from some of it's products even if most users didn't use it every day.

19. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

HP are going to start building it into their laptops, I hope it works well in Windows 8.

20. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Well, it isn't as black and white as that. It's true that most of the pattern is simple, but consider this: 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th 16th etc... I imagine it can be confusing for people new to it, but then again with education as it is today, a lot of those people are native speakers.

To be quite honest, the lower 10s are a complete disaster.

21. macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

As someone who knows zero about this tech. Is this the same as what's incorporated in the S4? :confused:

22. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

No. This is VASTLY more accurate.

The S4 uses its camera and sensors but by all reports it s hit and miss most of the time.

The leap motion can detect depth and also 10 individual points (fingers).

23. macrumors 6502

I hope so too. I pre-ordered right after they showed that video last year ... it's been quite the wait.

24. macrumors 68000

Lancer

Yeah I saw that.

Maybe Apple is waiting for the tech to mature :D

25. macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Thanks for that.