Learn German

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I just got into a german 1 class for the remaining weeks of this school year. I need to get through the entire year of german 1 and be ready for german 2 in the fall. Does anyone have any tips or additional material that would be good for learning.

Also is their any way to get german TV in the US?

Gute Nacht.

2. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

hallo! I did German from year 7-10 at school. I don't remember too much of it :eek: Gets difficult when you have to learn all the male and female verbs etc

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Firstly, if you're taking a class, you'll have textbooks, right? That's a good start.

Buy some Audio CD + Course Book combos from the bookstore. Some of them are quite good. Even the ones that aren't great are still quite good.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

These tips work for learning any language:

1) Go to System Preferences > International and switch the primary system language to the language you are trying to learn.
    2) Look for newspapers in the language online
    3) Movies, Television and Music
    4) Explore Wikipedia in the language.

6. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Male and female verbs? Please explain... :confused: If you speak about verbs, I think you refer to "he goes" or "she goes", but it's quite the same in German ("er geht", "sie geht"). Maybe you are mixing things up a bit...?

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Maybe I mean just verbs in general ie ich essen du isst etc etc I can't remember back that far I just remember something regarding verbs confusing the life out of em

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

viccles, are you sure you're not confusing verbs with articles?

I've never studied German, but have studied Spanish and teensy tiny bit of French and you do deal with feminine and masculine articles.

Example:
    • el sol (masculine)- the sun
    • la luna (feminine)- the moon

9. noaccess macrumors 6502

Exactly. It's the same way in German as well. I'm almost sure they were referring to articles & nouns.

• die Zukunft (feminine)- the future
    • das Auto (neutral)- the car
    • der Himmel (masculine)- the sky

10. satty macrumors 6502

Another example:

die Katze (female) - the cat
    der Hund (male) - the dog

As a German I had some problems the other way around. Referring to that type of animal, i.e. "dog", we tend not to use the neutral form "it", but "he".

G: "You have a nice dog."
    E: "Thank you."
    G: "Does he eat a lot?"

You might get away with it, if the dog is physically male. For whatever reason bitch is not used often for a female dog in English, otherwise the dialogue would be like this:

G: "You have a nice dog."
    E: "Thank you, it's actually a bitch."
    G: "Does she eat a lot?"

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's fun until you get to la policia and el policia, which I believe would be the police and the policeman, respectively. I suppose they didn't consider that women might work for the police some day.

Rokem:

One of the local PBS channels just had two 30 minutes lessons in German although I don't remember hearing the name of the programme. It was likely a bit boring as in the one lesson, she was naming everything in the house.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Well, like most languages there are anomalies, especially since most languages aren't dead like Latin.

Another anomoly example for Spanish?

El agua-- the water (singular)
    vs.
    Las aguas-- the waters (plural)

13. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

Well I understand the masculine feminine, I had spanish until friday dropped the class and am auditing german 1.

The reason was I have plans for traveling/ staying for an extended time/ living there(germany or german speaking countries). Also I didn't much care for the teacher.

14. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Hello,
    To get German TV in the United states you can A get it through satelite, though that costs a bit

or

http://www.onlinetvrecorder.com/ Is a website youll have to make an account and you than download tv shows right after the are aired in germany.

Id say the best way to learn german Is to go to Germany for a few weeks. (Which it seems you already have planned, out of curiosity where are you going?)

Good luck!

15. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

16. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

1.Like other have said, movies. Try to get movies that have a German closed-caption track or German with an English track that you can read until you've mastered the dialogue.
    2. From what I remember of my German lessons, getting used to the long words was the second hardest thing to get used to.
    3.The hardest was reading to the end of many sentences only to find the "nicht" (not), negated the construct I've built up in my head. Kind of like Valley-girl speak from a couple of decades ago. Or not;)

17. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

Damn that Rosetta stone is expensive. Is it worth it?

18. Frisco macrumors 68020

Well a lot of people recommended it in this thread about learning a foreign language in general. I have never used it myself.

Rosetta Stone German got 3.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Customer Reviews

I read a few of the comments on Amazon and some people are saying that Tell Me More is better.

The Premium Version got 5 stars on Amazon. Read the reviews. The only downfall is that it is Windows only!

Hope this helps you somewhat--I plan on learning German myself.

19. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Try Before You Know It German free learning language software. If you find it works for you, you can buy more advanced lessons. After you've mastered the basics, Pimsleur would be the next logical step up.

This and Rosetta Stone worked for me. :)

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I know what you're talking about - verb conjugation.

e.g. ich gehe, du gehst, er/sie/es geht, wir gehen, ihr geht, sie gehen, Sie gehen.

21. Frisco macrumors 68020

I just tried "Before You Know It German." It's great--I love the flash cards!

Danke schön!

22. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Since you're just getting into the basics, this should be a good help for you. I found that fairly useful for testing myself when I was learning.

Also, the website for the Treffpunkt Deutsch textbook is pretty good, even if you don't have the book to go along with it :D They have all sorts of listening activities too.

23. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Hrmm how good is rosetta stone, really, Someone offered to buy it for me as a gift, but i declined out of skepticism. Are you conversational in German?

24. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Ah, ok - that makes sense.