Learned a lesson this week

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cooknn, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

With all the hoopla about Safari and Tiger developer releases I decided against better judgement to look to the dark side and see what I could find. I took a chance and installed the Safari 1.3 developer release - I didn't want to get near Tiger. Safari is wrecked now and I only have myself to blame. Well, it's not wrecked completely, but it isn't rock solid like it used to be. Removed everything "Safari" from Finder and reinstalled 1.2 to no avail. Not asking for mercy here :rolleyes: I figure maybe I can save someone else from trying the same thing if they read this.

Now I know why I like my Mac so much. It just works! There is a lot to be said for their developers and beta testers. Much more so than on other platforms. It seems as though Apple has a pretty good system in place and I for one will allow them to do their thing and get my stuff through the correct channels from now on.

On a positive note, this experience has driven me to look for browser alternatives and this morning I found Camino. Looks sweet. Gonna give that a try...

Dave Cook | PowerMac G5 Dual 2Ghz | Viewsonic P225fb | Panasonic PV-GS200

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Reinstall the OS? ;)

I tried Camino, I don't like it very much, and it crapped out on me a lot.

3. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Nah. It's not that critical.

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

When I'm at work, there is no better browser than Firefox

However, I still like Safari the best for my Mac, #2 is Firefox though ;)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do you think it works better with Tiger? Just wondering if maybe it doesn't like something in Panther.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Are you crazy? Save that for the big super serious problems--like not being able to boot because your file system is screwed up. Of course if you get a problem like that you probably caused it anyway, but that's beside the point. Most of the time any damage you cause is limited to your home directory, which is fixed by creating a new account.

Cooknn, are you sure you got every bit of Safari off your computer? Anything left in Preferences or Application Support? Have you repaired premissions?

7. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Pretty sure. I searched for "Safari" in Finder and trashed everything. I can wait for an official Safari update. I'm digging Camino (on my lunch break) right now.

Dave Cook | PowerMac G5 Dual 2Ghz | Viewsonic P225fb | Panasonic PV-GS200

8. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Did you repair permissions with disk utility? Also, make sure you removed 'everything safari'. Safari has its own folder in username/Library/ as well as the preference file inside of username/Library/Preferences/