Learning Mac Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phifer8390, Sep 13, 2009.

1. macrumors member

I am still a little new to OS X. I have had a couple older macs to get me transitioned over and now I am using one full time. But there are a few shortcuts that I love for windows and I would like to know if the equivalent is available on my mac.
    1. When I highlight something on my vista machine in a browser and click search in Google it opens in a new tab. Is this possible on my mac. I have not tried Firefox on it and that is what I use in windows, but does it work there or is there a way to get it to open in a new tab in safari?

2. When I click a link on my windows machine in my e-mail it opens in a new tab and not another window. Can i make this happen on my mac in Safari?

3. Last one. On my windows machine I hit control enter after typing the address in the address bar and it throws in the www. and the .com/.net Is there a replacement shortcut in OS X?

Thanks for your help

2. macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

3. macrumors 65816

emptyCup

1. Application Menu (e.g Safari) > Services > Search With Google

2. Safari > Preferences > Tabs > Apple-Click = Open in New Tab

3. No Shortcut necessary. www. & .com are added automatically if not entered.

4. macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Firefox will automatically do a Google "I'm feeling lucky" search if the web address is not found, and you can configure Safari to do the same using Keywurl.

5. thread starter macrumors member

1. I need to remember to click command when clicking link

3. Just need to stop clicking command when i hit enter

6. thread starter macrumors member

Not much of a shortcut. Just about as fast as opening new tab and pasting in my search... Unless I find out whae "up+command+l" is. I tried up and I guess that is not the correct key?.?.?.

Any new thoughts? can this shortcut be changed?

7. thread starter macrumors member

As soon as I posted this I realized it is shift command L. I guess that will do. Lock those in the memory bank. it is going to get difficult at work throwing the wrong shortcut into internet explorer