Learning PHP...?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by DesignIt, Feb 10, 2007.

1. DesignIt macrumors member

Does anybody have any recommendations for Intro type books for learning PHP? I mean, something that really explains the concepts of what php is for designer types like myself. =)

I mean, I look at php and it looks like a foreign language to me. hee hee Ok, sorry for the sad attempt at humor. =)

I was leaning toward the "dummies guide..." for php at the moment. Any opinions on this book?

2. nightelf macrumors 6502

I read "PHP and MySQL Development" from Luke Welling and Laura Thomson.

Also check tutorials and sites like W3Schools.com.

I would recommend you to activate PHP and Apache in your Mac. To activate PHP you need to modify 1-2 files only. For Apache turn on Personal Web Sharing. Try the codes you read, and experiment with them.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I recommend PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Websites. This book took me from the stage you are in now (thinking PHP looks like a foreign language) to creating PHP sites and selling them to clients. Highly recommended. Use the internet as a resource as well, after you get some of the basics down.

4. DesignIt thread starter macrumors member

Just curious, what files do modify?

Thanks! :D

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Instead of modifying files, download MAMP and drag it to your applications folder. Now open it up and it'll start an apache server with PHP4/5 support and a MySQL db already set up. By far the easiest method I've come across to date.

6. nightelf macrumors 6502

You uncomment 2 lines in /etc/httpd/httpd.config to enable PHP, but probably is easier and safer to install MAMP.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

8. purplelizzard macrumors newbie

If you need any help, feel free to contact me and I'll do my best, I'm not great at PHP, but I can try to help.