Learning to connect to Windows domains

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GFLPraxis, Mar 20, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    One of the higher-ups at my company turned out to be a Mac fan and was wondering if I could help connect her MacBook Pro to the VPN when she brings it in on Thursday. I'm trying to learn all the little quirks of Active Directory on a Mac by connecting from my MacBook.

I've got that all set up and I logged in with my domain account. My question is, how do I access shares?

On a Windows PC, I'd type \\****home01\username\ and I'd be in my directory. (I don't know how much information is too much to give so I've replaced some key words with *'s)

On the Mac, I've tried Finder -> Go -> Connect to -> smb://****home01/username/ but it didn't work. Network browser isn't showing everything (and it never has worked properly for me).

What do I use to connect?

Also, when signed on to my domain account, Entourage crashes every time I open. It's not as important, but anyone have a guess as to why?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    That should be fine if the PC sharing the files is running a regular version of Windows such as XP. However, if the PC is running Windows Server then a few changes might need to be made at that end. Are you allowed to tweak anything on that computer? :)