1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Learning to develop OS X apps

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by david06, Jul 23, 2006.

1. macrumors member

I'd like to learn how to develop simple apps for OS X. The only programming experience I have is in Java, and that is purely in a command line, computer science, data structures and algorithms type of way. The only graphical programs I've ever done are using Visual Basic 6 which doesn't count as programming.

Any suggestions for books or web sites that would be good for someone who is pretty close to a newb, but does have some minimal programming experience?

2. macrumors 68000

savar

This is widely-accepted as the best beginner's book for Cocoa:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...716836/ref=sr_1_1/103-8530663-9878256?ie=UTF8

3. macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Oh yeah, that is the best.

Also, for Objective-C (whether or not you have programming experience) get: Programming in Objective-C by Steve Kochan. It's on amazon.com as well.. too lazy to search for it. --Objective-C so you understand how Cocoa works better - e.g. Autorelease pools, objects, etc.

4. macrumors member

Kaioshin

Check the "Better Together" section of that URL. :p (What? I found it funny...)

Anyway, thank you for suggesting this. Even though I haven't asked the question, I will benefit from the answer since I'm trying to learn to program in OS X, too.

5. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Download XCode and try out the sample applications. At some point you'll need to decide with Carbon and C or C++, or with Cocoa and Objective-C; C++ probably looks more familiar if you know Java.

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 601

HiRez

MacRumors needs to install some sort of filter that detects when someone is asking "How do I start learning Cocoa?" and then autoposts the Hillegass book link. Seriously. :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

if ([title containsWords: arrayOfWords] == [title matchWithAutomaticPhrase: [title containsWords: arrayOfWords]]) {
    [autopost relevantInformation];
    }
    =P Ok so its not the beset code, but it may work.