Learning to shoot

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bob5820, Oct 28, 2006.

1. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2006
    35°0′36″N 80°40′45″W (35.0
    Years back when learning to shoot I remember the thinking was stick with a 50mm lens and stay on manual. It seems from what I have read about DSLR's the recommendation is to learn with a single medium zoom lens. But what about the program settings, unless I'm mistaken it looks like shooting in a pure manual mode has fallen out of favor. So while I'm learning do I leave the camera on P or chose either aperture or shutter priority depending on the situation.
  2. wisredz macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2006
    I'm learning as well and use generally manual mode. Dunno why, it's just the way I used my point and shoot as well. It all comes down to sam thing if you ask me though. My D200 shows which combination is the right exposure values, then I compose and shoot...
  3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Mar 18, 2006
    It all depends on what you want to do! When I started photography, you had to adjust the aperture, shutter speed and focus. Few cameras had built-in meters and so we used a separate one in order to calculate correct exposure (I've still got my Western Master IV!). Nowadays it's "auto everything" which removes most of the effort - all that's necessary is to frame the shot and press the shutter.

Technology is moving ahead at such a rate, I should imagine that the majority of todays budding photographers haven't a clue what happens when they press the shutter release! Having said that - why should they? As you say - "just leave the camera on P or chose either aperture or shutter priority depending on the situation" - and have fun!
  4. greenmac macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2006
    I just leave it on P most of the time, unless I'm shooting moving obects, then S, or I want a particular DOF then A. I'm no Pro, but I'm sure they wouldnt use M too much, unless they specifically want to overexpose/underexpose.
  5. beavo451 macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2006
    I shoot manual 90% of the time. The only times I shoot in A or S mode is when the lighting is changing too quickly and I don't have my flash. I never shoot P mode.
  6. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2006
    i have a d50 and personally I enjoy setting all the setting all th settings myself... it makes me feal like i own the picture more, the settings i dont like is the sports setting... It just doesn't fit my standareds :cool: