Learning Xcode

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by blackbelt, Mar 6, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I am new to macs, but have taken classes in java. Does anyone have any suggestions of a book where i could get a good start/ handle on xcode and programming on a mac, and potentially an iphone/ ipod touch?

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

To program on the Mac and iPhone you need to know Cocoa programming. I suggest picking up a book.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

so i should get a book on cocoa programming, any suggestions?

4. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X

5. thread starter macrumors regular

sounds good, think that i will go out and buy it. (This would be ok, since i have never programmed on a mac, right. Will it take me from the start?)

Thanks!

6. macrumors newbie

7. thread starter macrumors regular

looks very helpful, i think that i will also get a book, but this will give me a good idea of what it is all about!

Thanks!

8. macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Good call

I think that i will wait, i probably won't start learning it for a few months anyway.

10. macrumors 68040

iSee

11. JPT
    macrumors regular

Are there any free, online resources (Especially those that will be adding iPhone/Touch resources soon)? I know there's Apples Dev area, but for me that isn't really a viable option :(

Though messing around with some of their samples can get me started!

The book, Cocoa® Programming for Mac 3rd looks good, but I don't want to wait until the update is on my doorstep! haha

12. macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

http://cocoadevcentral.com/ is pretty good, but other than what Apple offers, there isn't really any other good resources out there.

13. macrumors newbie

14. macrumors 603

Cromulent

Don't bother with Cocoa until you know the language it is written in.

Learn Objective-C first then think about GUI programming. Jumping into Cocoa first is just going to make it take longer to learn and understand.

15. macrumors member

Wow, thanks for the link. That's a really great site, much easier to digest than some of the books I've been trying to read.

16. macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

You should also check out CocoaCast, a cocoa podcast (with video). This has probably helped me out the most, it's almost like a class lecture.

http://www.cocoacast.com/

Watch from either episode 2 or 3. The first episode is just an introduction.

17. macrumors 68000

crees!

Looks like in November when the 2.0 update to this book will be out.
    http://www.amazon.com/Programming-O...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210299040&sr=1-5

So are there not many Obj-C 2.0 books out there now? It's been many years since I've programmed in C, C++, or Java. Nowadays I'm working in AS2.0 and would like to learn to program OS X/iPhone apps; figuring starting from scratch would be best as Obj-C code/syntax I've seen just looks so foreign.

18. macrumors regular

Apple Developer Center has loads of tutorials/guides/videos/references and I'd start there if I were you. Buying a book is probably a good thing as well :)

19. macrumors 603

Cromulent

You'll need to learn Obj-C 1 for the iPhone anyway. As I understand it, it does not support some of the Obj-C 2 features such as GC. Best just to read an Obj-C 1 book, at least then you will remain compatible with previous versions of OS X (Obj-C 2 only works on Leopard).

20. macrumors member

Thanks, I'll give them a listen.

21. macrumors newbie