Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Greetings all,

I've been an exclusive Apple user for about 10 years now, and I recently had a chance to try a Nexus 7 and really liked it. It's kind of given me the bug to try something other than Apple for a change, to see what the "other guys" have going on, but I'm just not sure how hard it would be to move some of my computing life into a new ecosystem.

Right now I use an iPhone and a Macbook Air. Would love to get a tablet. I basically use my devices mostly for web browsing, e-mail, keeping a calendar, and music through iTunes.

How hard would it be to introduce a Nexus 7 into my life so that all my devices remain synced? I'm already using Google Chrome and G-Mail, I know how to sync my iOS calendar with Google calendar if I wanted, but what about iTunes? Would something like moving it to Amazon Cloud storage be a solution? Am I better off waiting to see what the iPad Mini brings (it should be said also that I love the 7in form factor).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Google Music can read the iTunes library and allows you to access all your music.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Google Music can read the iTunes library and allows you to access all your music.

But only applicable in USA. ;). Sadly if your in Europe Google music is yet to launch.

If you have a gmail account syncing contacts, calendars between Android & iOS is easy.

If you want to sync media from iTunes to your nexus, you can use apps like DoubleTwist to act as a bridge between the device and iTunes.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Thanks I had no idea Google Music could do that - I'm trying it right now.

So in reality is there really no such things as ecosystems then? It seems like if you had a mix of iOS and Android you can get everything to talk together. Heck, you can read Amazon books on an iPad, read Barnes and Noble books on a Kindle Fire, etc.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Well, there is a Google ecosystem, in which everything Google works really well together, but you can make just about anything work in the Android world.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I have a Nexus 7 along with an iPad 3rd Gen and iPhone 4S and find it integrates just fine. My iPad and iPhone are my main devices with the Nexus being a toy of sorts so I really don't care much as it's not my go-to tablet. The price was too good to pass up and it satisfies my Android craving, a very nice device overall. It also makes me realize why I'm sticking with iOS for now. ;)

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I have a Nexus 7 along with an iPad 3rd Gen and iPhone 4S and find it integrates just fine. My iPad and iPhone are my main devices with the Nexus being a toy of sorts so I really don't care much as it's not my go-to tablet. The price was too good to pass up and it satisfies my Android craving, a very nice device overall. It also makes me realize why I'm sticking with iOS for now. ;)
Install boat browser or dolphin HD. Chrome for android sucks. They should have included the regular jellybean browser on the nexus 7. You can get it with root. No at band dolphin are just as smooth though.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I am considering picking up a Nexus 7 myself. As there are a few apps that Android has that iOS doesn't and it allows me to sync my go to device (iPhone 5) with my rMBP along with having fun rooting and installing roms without having to worry about if my GPS/Data/MMS is still going to work.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I am considering picking up a Nexus 7 myself. As there are a few apps that Android has that iOS doesn't and it allows me to sync my go to device (iPhone 5) with my rMBP along with having fun rooting and installing roms without having to worry about if my GPS/Data/MMS is still going to work.

Yeah. Nexus device are awesome. You pretty much never see a what works and what doesn't section in ROM threads. Even the CDMA versions fully work all the time. Had jellybean on my verizon galaxy nexus the day of Google io.

They also are super stable. Everything is so well optimized. Google really goes all of on tailoring the software. Even the old nexus s runs jellybean butter smooth and lightning quick. As a bonus all the galaxy s1 people can run jellybean as they were pretty much identical to the nexus s.

Last edited:

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Yeah. Nexus device are awesome. You pretty much never see a what works and what doesn't section in ROM threads. Even the CDMA versions fully work all the time. Had jellybean on my verizon galaxy nexus the day of Google io.

They also are super stable. Everything is so well optimized. Google really goes all of on tailoring the software. Even the old nexus s runs jellybean butter smooth and lightning quick. As a bonus all the galaxy s1 people can run jellybean as they were pretty much identical to the nexus s.

Yeah I ran a Samsung galaxy nexus before my iPhone 5 I just missed my iOS apps but I can def do a Nexus tablet especially finding out that it can do GPS.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
But only applicable in USA. ;). Sadly if your in Europe Google music is yet to launch.

I found it relatively easy to enable Google Music for my Wife and I. Google Music coupled with Three UK's totally unlimited data plan is a dream come true (especially for her as she has over 80GB's worth of music in her iTunes library).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.