least expensive camera that will work in tether mode

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nissan.gtp, Nov 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I need a camera that can work in tethered mode (to a computer) but with NO internal memory card.

Looks like Canon DSLR are the best (only?) choice. I'd like to find something inexpensive.

This is for taking pictures of whiteboards BTW.

I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions. thanks !

2. macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Not sure what software you're using, but aperture has a nice tidy list of cameras that they've certified for operation in tethered mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4176

3. macrumors 6502a

I've never paid much attention to tethered shooting other than knowing my camera works. But I'm surprised by the Aperture list. I would have thought that there would have been some of the more traditional studio cameras included, Hasselblad, Leica S2 (or M9 even), some of the digital backs, Leaf etc.

To the OP, it looks like pretty much any Nikon or Canon DSLR, including discontinued and entry models are a very safe bet!

4. macrumors 603

Try looking at Capture One software. There is a trial version, I believe. Otherwise you will need to buy it. And it's not cheap. But... if it's just for one project.

5. macrumors 6502

cool. i didnt realize my D70 could do this. I'll have to try it out sometime and make a claymation or something

6. macrumors demi-god

acearchie

Hasselblad's own Phocus software works nicely for tethered shooting so people tend to use that.

7. ytk
    macrumors regular

If you don't need really high resolution (i.e. above 1920x1080) then you could just use a webcam. In terms of simplicity and cost, it'll beat out any DSLR solution hands down. Remember that all DSLR cameras will need external power, but webcams are generally bus powered. Also, if whiteboards mean this is in a classroom setting, consider the annoyance factor of the shutter going off every time you take a picture.

8. macrumors 6502

thanks for all the info :cool: