Least Favorite Books of All Time...

Discussion in 'Community' started by themadchemist, Mar 2, 2004.

1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It had to be done. And now it has. Here are some of my picks:

Hemmingway's Old Man and the Sea. I read this five years ago and still can't believe that this was his crowning achievement to clinch the Nobel. Man is hungry. Man goes to ocean. Man catches biiig fish. Biiig fish gets away. Oh no! Man comes back without much of the fish. Man is still hungry. Man goes to sleep.

Pushkin's Yevgeny Onegin (Eugene Onegin). Hundreds of pages of poetry about a guy who has falls in love with a couple of girls but is essentially disinterested in 'most everything...Gimme a break.

Dante's Commedia, except for the last couple of pages. Most of this is total, radical evangelical garbage. Every now and then, Dante makes a few good points. I do not hate this as much as the above two, but it's mostly garbage. Dante's few bright thoughts are overshadowed by his parochial idiocy.

Austen's Pride and Prejudice...C'mon. Do I need to say anything?!

Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles...Hardy killed nuance. He killed logic. He killed plot. He nearly killed the novel, itself. If only he'd just killed this story before it had started...Hardy had this really big problem. He couldn't create characters, a setting, and circumstances that made his plot reasonable without random acts of fate. I remember writing a paper on Hardy's fatalism. Students shouldn't have to write papers tracing the copouts that authors use to get out of good storytelling. What a crock.

As with the books I enjoyed, I'm SURE I'll think of more...And please, be sure to add your commentary as to WHY the books of your choice suck royally.

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

trigonometry text from school...it was terrible and i wanted to lose it ;)

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

to kill a mockingbird. its a great book, but overrated in schools, by teachers.
    dont forget scarlet letter, thats a great book too but still overused in schools :p
    its basically everything that they use to teach k-10th grade maybe. then they do decent stuff.

4. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The analogous argument about McKee & McKee's Biochemistry would be strong, at least for the first several chapters. I did enjoy the chapter on the Electron Transport Chain, but most of the other ones were terribly written.

5. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon.

I had to read it for an English Lit. class at college, and I just hated it. It made no sense to me whatsoever.

6. bont macrumors member

Least Favorite Books of All Time...

Anything written by Richard Bach :eek:

7. AhmedFaisal Guest

Anything by Bertholt Brecht.....

.... 3 years of this communist bull**** in German class, no more! Too bad only the good authors got killed in the 3rd Reich. Oh yeah, Thomas Mann also sucks ass. Anyone who writes a sentence that is longer than a page has mental issues...
    Cheers,

Ahmed

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The first 2 books in the wi'tch series by James Clemens.

He is such a horrible author in the first two, but by the end of the series he had improved a lot.

ANYTHING by Kristin Britain, she is the WORST author i've ever had to read. Well, apparently she has the worst publisher too, because the page numbers were messed up and when I got to page 427 it went to 457 and then it went to the end of the book and then back to 427. But still all the pages weren't in there, and there was a huge gap where I had no clue what happened.

The writing was along the lines of:

"The crab creature approched Jenny's dying horse.

'Nooooooooooooooooooooooo'

She grabbed a sword and charged towards the crab creature. She had to save the horse!"

It was truely horrific to read.

scem0

9. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

This fellow named Stern wrote a book called Changing India (well, it's the second version of the book, but he also wrote the last one 12 or so years ago). Within the first couple of pages, you get the most astute phrase ever uttered in the English language, or any language for that matter:

"Arguments, it hardly needs to be said, are arguable."