Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

same0717

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
NC, USA
Hey all.

My blue leather loop band which I have had along with my Apple Watch for almost 9 months and wear daily is starting to really come apart! (See pictures) I wear it daily but would consider it's use very standard for a watch. I don't do anything extreme with it on and swap in my sport band whenever I wear it during exercise.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

From what I have read the band is considered an accessory, not part of the Apple Watch, and is thus not covered under AppleCare+ for Apple Watch. That seems crazy to me but that is also a completely different debate!

Any thoughts on the band being covered by the normal 1 yr manufactures warranty from Apple or another angle for getting it replaced?

It coming apart after 9 months of normal use doesn't seem like a very satisfactory level of quality for a $150 watch band. Especially from Apple!
jAoe1iel.jpg

MoQDnmol.jpg

same0717

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
NC, USA
Take it to apple. I am sure they will replace it. They replace defective iPhone cases so why not watch bands.

That is what I expected! I took my watch it in last Friday afternoon to a Genius bar appointment and got basically no help. Just some line about how the band is an accessory so it is not covered under AppleCare+ for Apple Watch ... but you can purchase a new one if you would like. I was in a rush to make a different appointment and not in the mood to argue so I said no thanks and left.

I need to try again and at least ask to speak with a manager if I get the same response.

Reactions: Simche

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Did you get it wet repeatedly? Not blaming... Just looking for a possible cause other than daily wear.

I have a leather loop as well, but only wear it on rare occasion.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Aren't these bands covered by 1 year warranty? I know that AppleCare does not cover bands. Did it split suddenly or gradually?

same0717

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
NC, USA
Did you get it wet repeatedly? Not blaming... Just looking for a possible cause other than daily wear.

I have a leather loop as well, but only wear it on rare occasion.

It has only ever gotten wet from what I would think is "normal use" ... a little sweat on a warm summer day, or a few minutes in a surprise drizzle. But never seriously wet, never been in the shower, dropped in any sort of liquid etc.

Aren't these bands covered by 1 year warranty? I know that AppleCare does not cover bands. Did it split suddenly or gradually?

I assume they are but as you can see above my first trip to the Apple Store didn't yield those results. But to be fair I was in a hurry and didn't push the issue.

It has come apart gradually but has gotten significantly worse in the last month.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
It's a $150 band. It should at least be a 1-year warranty, but if not you would think for that amount of money Apple would be good about it. I would go back in try to talk to a manager.

Reactions: xDKP

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Take it to apple. I am sure they will replace it. They replace defective iPhone cases so why not watch bands.
I know this is off topic, but i have one of those apple cases for the 6+ that i bought from apple and is made from apple (not sure what its called). But it started ripping off and now the whole soft part is off and the hard shell remains. It's the leather version

edit: http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-accessories/cases-protection
basically those in leather version. do u think its worth a shot and see if they can fix for free

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
It has only ever gotten wet from what I would think is "normal use" ... a little sweat on a warm summer day, or a few minutes in a surprise drizzle. But never seriously wet, never been in the shower, dropped in any sort of liquid etc.

I assume they are but as you can see above my first trip to the Apple Store didn't yield those results. But to be fair I was in a hurry and didn't push the issue.

It has come apart gradually but has gotten significantly worse in the last month.
You shouldn't have to push the issue.

Yet unfortunately Apple continues to allow quality and reliability to decline.

Perhaps it's because Apple is struggling to make a profit... :eek:

Simche

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2015
Europe
What in the world... They should DEFINATELY replace it! This would be not OK in EU at least, find a day to yell at them at the Genius Bar and make sure to talk with the manager. It's should'nt become like that with normal usage...

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
I could be wrong but I thought Apple had a one-year warranty for all "Apple" branded accessories (as opposed to 3rd party sold items). If so, the "Apple" watch band is an accessory. If you go to the Apple website, go to Watch, scroll down to Accessories, you'll see bands listed as the first item under Accessories. If you run into someone who says differently show them that.

Yep, see someone posted the Warranty above this post indicting the 1-year policy.

same0717

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
NC, USA
Thank you for all the helpful opinions!

Went back to the Apple Store this morning without a genius bar appointment or anything just walked in and showed it to one of the staff members on the floor. They were very helpful and in about 10 minutes the band was replaced and I was on my way.

same0717

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
NC, USA
Did you pick same color?

I did! I am very happy with the blue color and the leather loop in general. It was amazing how much darker the new blue leather loop is compared to my old one that had been used for 9 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.