Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Since bands are now shipping, I think it's finally time to ask a question to which I haven't seen a definitive answer... And a question I've seen many people make.

How is it like a Sport + Leather Loop? Does it blend perfectly with the watch (no stainless steel visible?) Does it scratch the aluminium while putting the band on? Does it really cause corrosion in the aluminium as some say it will?

Pictures would be cool too. I'm particularly interested in the Sport Space Gray + Black Leather Loop combo :)

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I don't think there will be any corrosion problems since the lug mechanism seems to be the same on the sport and leather bands. I doubt it will be any more likely to scratch either.

I have ordered the blue leather band for my Sport, so I will post pics when it arrives.

spytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
I don't think there will be any corrosion problems since the lug mechanism seems to be the same on the sport and leather bands. I doubt it will be any more likely to scratch either.

I have ordered the blue leather band for my Sport, so I will post pics when it arrives.

Thank you, I'll be waiting then :)

spytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Incidentally I held off on buying the band because I didn't like the black leather loop when I tried it on in store, and I couldn't bring myself to pay £129 for such a tiny piece of leather. These photos swayed me: http://www.cultofmac.com/314123/apple-watch-sport-looks-like-pricier-bands/

These are from mixyourwatch... I think I've exhausted every combination possible since they opened the site up until the Watch release! haha :)

I'm in need of real pictures, things rend to look different from what's on the Apple Website.

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
That's true. I think the sport looks better in real life than the renders (the crown inlay isn't nearly as dominant when the watch is worn as it is in the renders).

I'm glad that Apple made a non-sport band without stainless steel lugs, even if it is obscenely expensive.

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
The only visible stainless steel part that won't match is the piece that it loops around. However it doesn't look out of place with space grey sport. I really like the blue leather loop with SG sport look but I'll wait and see if nice third party ones come out first. $150 band is a bit much for a $400 watch.

spytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
The only visible stainless steel part that won't match is the piece that it loops around. However it doesn't look out of place with space grey sport. I really like the blue leather loop with SG sport look but I'll wait and see if nice third party ones come out first. $150 band is a bit much for a $400 watch.

It's gotta be REALLY good for me to opt for the 3rd party one instead of the black leather :)

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I tried a black leather loop on my Space Grey Sport 42mm today and it looks SWEET. Really thinking about picking one up. Kinda hard to get over the $150 price, though. We'll see if I pull the trigger.

iSimon

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Glasgow
Got a blue leather loop with my silver sport and loving it so far - think it goes really well and it's very comfortable.

Attachments

• watch1.jpg
    watch1.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 4,966
  • watch2.jpg
    watch2.jpg
    825.2 KB · Views: 2,345
  • watch3.jpg
    watch3.jpg
    903.4 KB · Views: 1,174
Last edited:

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Got a blue leather loop with my silver sport and loving it so far - think it goes really well and it's very comfortable.

This is the combination I will have when my band finally arrives!

I suspect that a lot of people who think that the Sport looks like a 'toy' or 'cheap' haven't seen it in person. It looks a little toy-ish to me in this photo, but I know that it doesn't in real life.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008

Thank you iSimon for posting these photos! Your watch looks great! These pics really help me and I think I'm going to order the blue leather loop now. Only thing left for me to do is swing by my local Apple store and confirm that medium is the right size for me.

Thanks!

spytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013

Woah, this just looks amazing, thank you for sharing!

Still looking for amazing pics like these... But for the Space Gray + Black Loop

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Woah, this just looks amazing, thank you for sharing!

Still looking for amazing pics like these... But for the Space Gray + Black Loop

Here you go. It's from http://smartwatch.me/t/heres-over-100-photos-of-apple-watch-combinations-colors-and-sizes/884

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 925

irentamac

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
Tempe, AZ
I just wish they would make them for the 38mm ...Sigh ...

I saw a video where someone attached it to a 38mm and he stated that it locked in place and just that it protruded a bit from the end. It wasn't much and it got me thinking. The part that is protruding out is just the leather part (or at least it looks to be just leather) so I wonder if there would be a way to trim it properly.

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles

I dismissed this color band until I saw it in person and tried it on. Came away liking it very much. It's a dead heat between the Milanese Loop or Blue Leather Loop or a quality third party band. Tough call...

asuandy

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Apple Watch Sport 42MM with black leather loop (and hairy arm) :cool: Totally changes the look of the Sport IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 944
  • IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 965
  • IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 966

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
Apple Watch Sport 42MM with black leather loop (and hairy arm) :cool: Totally changes the look of the Sport IMO.

damn this looks good. Looks like a square Braun watch. Maybe I like this better than the space grey w/ leather loop!!!

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Got my blue today. Looks great with the sport. Comfy too. Glad I went sport + band which was still cheaper than SS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.