Leaving subwoofer on (all time)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Chomolungma, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Chomolungma macrumors regular

I've always leave the subwoofer on all the time, but I have never owned a descent speaker until now (Klipsch 2.1 System). I left the subwoofer on for several days now, and everytime I wake my mac, there is the loud bass beat that accompanies it (I assume this is typical).
    Anyhow, getting to the point, is it safe to leave my Klipsch subwoofer on all time? It is kind of inconvenient to reach down under my desk to turn it off everytime when I put my mac to sleep.

Thank guys,

Chomo

2. GrizzlyHippo macrumors member

Klipsch humming...

Chomo,

I think it's safe enough to leave them on but I have a different question for you...

I've got an issue with my new Klipsch 2.1 system - namely that they hum quite loudly. Of course when the Mac is on it drowns out the hum, but when the Mac is switched off, the subwoofer hums away annoyingly under my desk.

Can you let me know whether your system hums when your Mac is off as I'm contemplating returning my Klipsch as faulty.

Thanks,
    Grizzly.

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Re: Klipsch humming...

i found that this humming is related to a problem with dirty power...you either will need to get your lines checked or get a really nice surge protector.

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

As with most electronics constantly turning it on and off will do it more damage than leaving it on all the time. Its a bit more expensive on the power, but its a subwoofer, its supposed to deal with bass.

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

You might want to look into searching the Klipsch forums. I'm the owner of a 4.2(2x2.1) and two SWS. I recall reading their FAQ and there was a question to a popping noise and the likes whenever powering on the computer and or subwoofer. Klipsch's response was rather nonchalant, indicating that it will do no harm to your subwoofer. I've had the 4.1's previously and I stand by Klipsch as by far the best computer speaker manufactuer to date.

6. Chomolungma thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Klipsch humming...

Grizzlyhippo,

Perhaps it is too early to tell if I'll have this problem. However, I had this problem before with other lesser quality sound system. I'm sorry, I can't offer much on this topic. I hope you brought your system from a dealer that knows their sound. Best bet would be to contact them.

7. Chomolungma thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Klipsch humming...

Interesting!

I live in an old apartment above a shoe store recently, and every morning when they open shop (turning on whatever machines and lights they have) a very loud humming sound would come out of my subwoofer. In addition, their radio would blare through my floor for a few second. It serves as the second alarm should my clock alarm fails:mad: The building was built in 1910, and the electric wiring is a mystery to all that lives there.