Leaving the factory screen protector on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by casjohnr, Nov 16, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

I opened my iPhone and noticed it has a extra plastic sheet over the screen area in addition to the outer layer.

Can I leave this on and just cut the tab off?

2. macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

You can if you really want, you will need to make holes for the ear piece to hear people...

3. macrumors 65816

THE JUICEMAN

i would say no, dont leave it on. its not worth your time to cut holes out for it. plus it was very tacky from what i can remember and it seems like it would interfere a little with the touch screen operations.......just pick up a power support crystal film its by far the best way to go for screen protection

4. macrumors 6502a

Go back to the Apple store and get there protecters they come in Crystal Clear and Anti Glare, there in a Green package and work on Static electricity not adhesives, there great and work really well. 15 bucks for 2. Everyone I know that has the iPod touch or iPhone uses these

The name of the company that is being sold at the local apple store is " Power Support " or u can goto the www.powersupportUSA.com web site and see what I am referring too.

5. macrumors G5

Consultant

In rare cases, the factory plastic sheet may interfere with pressing of the home button.

It also makes your screen not as precise as intended.

In other words, remove it.

6. macrumors 6502a

I left mine on until I got the invisible shield. I just cut the tab off at the bottom of the screen and poked holes in the ear piece with a pin so I could hear. It worked fine. I never had any trouble with pressing the home button either.

7. macrumors regular

taylor200588

i took mine off but wish i left it on

but today i went into poundland (yes everything really is £1) and got a pack of screen protectors, got home and CAREFULLY put it on my iPhone and using a stanley knife i cut round the edges and holes. I must say i did a pretty good job :)

8. macrumors 6502a

Thats a Redneck for ya :D

I'm sorry after reading your post and your name I just had to say something

9. macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Why would you want to leave it on???

these people that think theyve got to protect things with their life make me laugh, just take what needs to be taken off and use the thing!!!

Theres always the warranty or just get a case, enjoy it instead of worrying about scratches or breakages, whatever happens, happens!!!

Ahhh rant over!

10. macrumors 68040

nickspohn

11. macrumors newbie

Well I don't have the iPhone yet. Once I get it I will remove the film and put a protective case on my phone. Or atleast a screen cover.

12. macrumors 6502

Take it off. The screen doesn't scratch.

13. macrumors member

There have been cases of it scratching in peoples pockets with nothing else in there.

14. macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Damn those phantom iPhone scratchers!!!

WTF?????

15. Moderator emeritus

devilot

I left mine on until I got my shield for it (from BSE). But it's annoying leaving it on-- yes, it obstructs the sound. And yes, it makes it more difficult to press the home button. It's always such a relief when I finally take that packaging off (I've had 3 iPhones).

16. macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Am i just lucky to have got one on the 9th without any issues with the screen or is it the minority making a big sound, because im getting the impression if you got a iphone on the 9th and it works your lucky?!?!?

17. macrumors 601

I agree. Reading all the complaints all I can say is I must have great luck. I queued up, Apple sales guy picked an iPhone off a huge stack of them, I paid… and well it is flawless. No deadpixels, no dodgy blackness… no problems.

I'm off to buy some Lotto tickets methinks. :D
    Mind you, I have had great "luck" with all my Apple products. They all just seem to work. What is wrong with me?

Or, a case of a minority making a lot of noise… hummmmm… I wonder… :rolleyes: ;)

18. Moderator emeritus

devilot

Pardon?
    The OP asked if the factory, plastic wrap gets in the way.

I, and others, happen to think yes, it does. Go back to the first two months the iPhone launched; plenty of posts where people complain of too-quiet volume then sheepishly admit that they'd not removed the plastic wrapping and that that's what hindered the sound.

How on Earth does that translate into a minority moaning about iPhone issues? :confused:

19. macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

No, no, i didnt mean it like that, i just wondered if there is a known problem with all iPhones, or is it just luck as to which phone you get thats all.

20. Moderator emeritus

devilot

Um, well, then start a different thread as that's OT.

To the OP, again, to answer your question, I would NOT leave the factory plastic on "forever" but as a temporary solution if you were going to use a different protector/ shield.

Otherwise? I'd just say 'f' it and use the phone nekkid.

21. macrumors 6502

Think about what you just wrote. It doesn't make sense.

22. macrumors member

Then maybe you should re-read it.. let me break it down for you.

People have put the iPhone into their pockets with nothing else in there (I.E. Keys) and its been scratching. From what I've heard something as small as a grain of sand in your pocket can scratch it, while people going over the screen with a razor can't. There have been several posts about it on this forum.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4409516&postcount=14

Now do you understand or do I need to break it down more?

23. macrumors 68030

CD3660

No, I suspect that you're an average Apple customer!

24. macrumors regular

I've just left it on until I buy a screen protector. I always have the headphones in anyway, so it doesn't make a difference. But the Home key is almost impossible to press.

25. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

How many? I've never heard such a thing. The original Nanos, yes, but not the iPhone.

Take the plastic off, man.