Leaving to Nice, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by neocell, Aug 2, 2006.

1. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Hey all, since this is such a well rounded community I thought maybe some of you may have had some good experiences in Nice to share, and suggestions of places I should go see.
    Funky bars, strange museums, obscure eateries, those kind of things.
    I'm going for 10 days, bringing the PB with me, so no doubt I'll be checking the forum over there.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I live in Nice!

Actually, Juan les Pins which is towards Cannes and about 15 minutes away. There are all kinds of things to do here, and right now it's crazy with all of the tourists. You should have a blast. Do you know where you are staying?

3. neocell thread starter macrumors 65816

neocell

I'm staying with friends.
    They live on Georges Clemenceau
    I think they have a few things cooked up.
    They've been there for a year so I'm sure they know a bunch of things to do, though I'm sure there's lots of people here who can suggest some things too

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Right now? Does it actually stop?

My friend was just there on vacation from Sweden. Had a good time.

Oh, and not sure about this, but I think there's a Matisse museum or something in the area, so maybe take a look at that.

And don't bother with the beaches. They're crap. I think the beach in Monaco is OK because it has sand, but otherwise.......meh.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The beach here in Juan les Pins is sandy as well, as are most of the ones near Cannes. Nice, though, is nothing but rocks.

I have to say, though, having just come back from Biarritz, that those beaches are way nicer.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I just got back from Surfer's Paradise. The sand there is "nice" too. ;)

Actually, the sand where I live is nice. I really don't have much reason to fly to a tropical environment for vacation, really. The Gold Coast/SP was great, but Manly really is just as nice, just not now (in winter).

Oh, and do go to Monaco and watch all the nice cars drive by. Look at the boats as well.;)

7. neocell thread starter macrumors 65816

neocell

Best sand, bar none ;)
    Squeaky Beach, Wilsons Prom

I heard that the beaches in Nice aren't that great, that's okay though. I'll probably end up going to Monaco and hang out at one there.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you're going to be in Nice this weekend, the international yacht show is in Cannes. Might be worth a trip down to check 'em out.

9. neocell thread starter macrumors 65816

neocell

Thanks gauchogolfer, that sounds good.
    My friend works at a yacht business, so I'm sure she'll be up for that.
    I leave in 8 hours...

10. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

I don't really like the beaches near Monaco / Cap d'ail. You're better off going to the beach near Cannes / Antibes.

If you like rock music, you will find a nice place to hang-out at a pub called 'Thor' which is where most of the english community hangs around.

In the vieux nice, find a pub called "Scarlet O'Hara", I think it's near the "place de la prefecture" and ask for a cocktail named "mother's milk". Then, you can die knowing you have experienced the greatest pleasure in life.

Regarding surfers, Nice is not a place for surfers... There's even a film about it called "Brice De Nice", worth a chuckle :)

If you like modern art, check the MAMAC, but you won't spend an entire afternoon there... still, check out their Cesar collection, as well as the "Bleu Klein" paintings.

Obscure eateries.. in the vieux nice, there's a very nice restaurant where you can eat Socca with some beignets de fleur d'aubergine & drink Rosé (cold), just get to the bus station and head for the place de la prefecture. You'll get on a plazza with benches and tables between a restaurant and a liquor shop, there you are!

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Acckk, brain problem with me. The show is 10 Sept, not what I told you before.

Sorry. I'm sure your friend will know more than me about what's going on in the yachting world here.

Yikes, I need to get back on track.

But, there is a pyrotechnic festival going on (I'm sure about this one ;) ), the 7th and 15th of August, in Cannes at 10PM. It's pretty nice, but go early or take the train to avoid a traffic nightmare.

Link (in French)

12. neocell thread starter macrumors 65816

neocell

Thanks guys, that's awesome
    I'll definitely try the lait du mere Palad1, and report back. And I'll check out Thor's and a couple of the museums
    I'll keep an eye out for this one too,
    I love directions like this, more like a scavenger hunt, and for some reason, when you do find the place, everything tastes better.

Thanks for the update on the boatfest gauchogolfer, wouldn't want my friends laughing at me when I suggested it :)
    How far is Monaco from Nice? Can you see it from Nice? Is it just like a suburb (ie the city doesn't stop), or are they completely separate cities (ie green space in between)? Doesn't look to far on a map.

13. bgd macrumors regular

Nice looks a wonderful place. Spent a day there recently so can't offer much advise. Did visit the Matisse musem and it has quite a few of his famous works on display.

While the beaches may not be as good as some they are fine for people watching.

14. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Driving on the 'Moyenne Corniche' (one of the most beautiful roads in the world, btw), when you leave Nice going east it takes about 20-25 minutes to get to the high part of Monaco. On the way, be sure to stop in Eze, which is the iconic hilltop town of the area. There is plenty of green space in between, with small towns down on the water's edge.

Here are some pictures from a recent drive:
    [​IMG]
    This is Eze as seen from the Monaco side.

[​IMG]
    This is from a garden at the top of Eze, looking towards Nice. It's around the very far corner way in the distance. So, you can see there is plenty of green between the two.

[​IMG]
    And finally, this is the old town of Monaco above the old port, looking down from the exotic garden up higher.

15. neocell thread starter macrumors 65816

neocell

Can't wait.
    5 hours till flight time.
    Should really finish packing.
    Do you (gauchogolfer) know if you can buy powdered Gatoraid there?
    Just got a last minute email requesting I pick some up here (I did, just got back), but I was thinking they would have it there :confused:

Man, a nice 7 hour non-stop flight in a cramped charter flight. Woohoo
    Definitely getting excited.

16. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Nope, in fact my wife brought some back from the US on her last trip. Also, no beef jerky! I have a list that my family knows to bring when they visit :D

17. neocell thread starter macrumors 65816

neocell

Thanks for the posting of the pics up there.
    This is going to be fun

18. neocell thread starter macrumors 65816

neocell

Do you want some Gatoraid? I can make another run to the grocery store :)
    Only frost iceberg, orange or fruit there though.

19. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks, but we had visitors 2 weeks ago so I'm well stocked.

I hope you have a good trip here. Good luck on the plane flight.

20. neocell thread starter macrumors 65816

neocell

Cheers :)

21. emmawu macrumors 6502

Have a wonderful time, she replied, turning green with envy.

22. neocell thread starter macrumors 65816

neocell

Wow!
    I've made it here and it is awesome. :D
    Been up for more the 24 hours, just past 2 here so I have another 10 or so to go.
    It's like I'm in a dream. A 7 hour flight and you arrive in a completely different world. It's so cool.
    Arrived here at 6:30am, went to see my friends before they left for work, went to see the Russian Cathedral (forgot my camera so no pics), went low (blood sugar 1.7) starting seeing some really weird things like an acid trip, actually managed to find my way back to the apartment (impressive considering the state I was in and only seeing it once, from the completely other direction). Got some food, strolled the beach (saw the scenery), got a bit wet with the nice salty Mediterranean (looks like a glacial lake), and then wandered around old Nice (vieux Nice). And it's only 2 o'clock.
    Think I got a bit of a burn though, oh well, only 9 more days to go.

I'm trying my hardest :)
    Don't turn green, save some greens, and you'll be here soon (yeah I know lame, lack of sleep)

Gotta go find the mother's milk...