Lebanon in the aftermath of war

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

While I don't necessarily disagree with the decision to close the last thread, I do think there is a need for a thread for those who wish to follow the developments in Lebanon in the aftermath of the war that is larger in scope than the use of cluster bombs. In that regard, I'm opening this thread. It is not meant to be a generalized discussion of Middle East issues, but rather a focus on what is happening now in Lebanon.

Today saw the announcement that Syria has pledge to UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan to end the shipment of arms to Hizbullah. While many in Israel and elsewhere are understandably skeptical of this pledge, it is nonetheless notable that Syria sees it in its interest to make the statement.

This is a critical time period over the next 10 days for Lebanon while the IDF withdraws its troops across the blue line. It is also a time in which Lebanese political forces are maneuvering for power. For those who wish to comment on these developments I encourage on-topic contributions and meaningful debate.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

part of a backdoor deal to end the naval blockade, perhaps?

3. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

That would be a welcome development, but I haven't seen anything to suggest Israel is willing to bend on the blockade as of yet. I hope your guess is right.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nope, part of the deal is with Iran supplying Hezbolla.

5. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This story from Naharnet gives the first indication that I've seen that Israel's blockade will end soon. I also note that the timetable for withdraw of the IDF has lengthened in this article.

6. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is a very important step in disengagement.
    Haaretz

7. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It appears as if the blockade is over. Now, if the IDF will finally get south of the blue line, the initial, and most dangerous part, of the ceasefire will be over. Still no movement on prisoner exchanges.

Haaretz