Lebanon's Pro-Syria Government Is Dissolved After Protests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 1, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

interesting day, eh?

2. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I'm surprised no one has responded to this post yet. I find this situation to be a beacon of hope in an extremely unstable region. My gut reaction to this (and this is coming from someone who has been ademately opposed to Bush and the entire reasoning we were given for going into Iraq) is that the history books may have a bit of a different view of our recent actions in the middle east than I had initially thought.

I still don't like the fact that we as a country were basically duped into the war for the wrong reasons, but news like this gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that maybe we did the right thing, and maybe just maybe we have helped bring a little stability to a region that sorely needs assistance.

Anyway, thats just my two cents... And here's to hoping for more good news to come!

3. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Lebanon has been a very unsual place politically for years. I for one am glad I'm no longer anywhere near there. I was in the Navy and was off the coast back in 1983 when the marines got truck bombed. We were required to do gunfire support and help with the evacuations.

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

While I am hopeful as well that the "Cedar revolution" will lead to a transformation of Lebanon, I don't see any evidence that the Bush administration or its policies have anything to do with it. Let's give credit where credit is due - the people of Lebanon who are marching in the streets knowing that Syrian tanks could be coming.

5. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

One thing to keep in mind: this has happened in Lebanon before. The various hostile groups once united in opposition to an occupier in the 1940s. The occupier was France. Once France was out, they went back to fighting each other again, although they did have a semblance of democracy for a while. (Far more than any other Arab country can claim.) So this may be the beginning of another era of chaos there, not necessarily a milestone for democracy.

6. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

Thats very true, but I can't help to think that free elections in Iraq may have been somewhat of an inspiration to these people. On that note, I don't claim to be any kind of an expert on the topic, but that's just my outsider perspective.