lebron james, powerade, stupid friend, have n e info?

Discussion in 'Community' started by rock6079, May 12, 2004.

1. rock6079 macrumors 6502

ok, so for whatever reason my friends and i got onto the topic of that new, cool, lebron james powerade commercial. you know, the one where he swooshes like four shots in a row from 80ft or so.

well the commercial, is undoubtably fake. no offence to anyone here who make think it is not, but i mean, c'mon.

so i made a bet with my buddy that it was fake, since he was under the impression it was real.

he's come to the point that he will pretty much admit that he realises it's not real but he is very stubborn and says he wont give in until i prove it to him.

so i was wondering if you guys could think of n e wase that i could prove this to him. i know it may sound stupid but the guys jsut so stubborn i jsut want to see him admit he was wrong for once.

thanks

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

You can basically think of most basketball commercials this way. If the player shoots and teh ball leaves to the top of the screen, this is where digital editing takes over and makes a virtual ball. This is what you see going through the net.

BEN

3. crookedcharlie macrumors member

I would say that the fact that LeBron is making multiple 80 foot shots should be enough...

4. NokiaKiller macrumors newbie

Guys, I'm sorry... but only one of the frames actually loses the basketball. The powerade commercial is definitely real.

1) He hit multiple shots, not just one

2) 80ft isn't that hard if you practice as much as he does (A kid I know can hit them too.)

3) It's LeBron... I figured you would have already assumed it to be real, but I guess not.

So in conclusion, don't just assume things are fake because they're on TV or the Internet.

5. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

you don't need the ball to leave the screen to 'digitally correct' the shot...

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

personally, i have no doubt that it's NOT real, even if the ball leaves the screen only for one shot. the reason is the way he's shooting. his shooting motion is as if he's shooting free throws.

sure, he can make 80 ft. shot, once in a while. maybe even a few times in a row. but i bet he can't even propel a basketball 80 ft. with the shooting motion like in the commercial.

when billups made the half court short to send the nets-pistons game to OT, he had to shoot leaning into the shot. and that was "just" a half-court shot.

(but of course, his effortless shooting motion is a part of what makes the commercial hilarious to begin with, even if you knew it was fake.)

7. rock6079 thread starter macrumors 6502

and of course the michael vick powerade commercial is also real right ..

8. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

While Im not exactly sure about this commercial, its very easy to have these things done. If LeBron made 1 shot over 10 takes, theyd use that. Essentially he shot hoops for 5 hours, each shot was filmed and the best successful baskets were put in. Youre saying its fake because he did them all in a row, when in reality he probably hit only a coupe over a # hour period and the shots were all from the same spot and with the same constant lighting to make it look like they were concurrent.

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    contact powerade or the ad agency to get the real deal

you are asking a rumors site where ppl will come up with all sorts of explanations.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The fact that people would even have to debate this is laughable. Come on. No *@$&ing way this is real. I'm not even going to tell you why I don't believe it because anyone that thinks this is even remotely real won't listen to what I have to say anyway.

11. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

that tiger woods spot where he juggled the golf ball on the end of his club before swatting it out of the air was real; why not this? just because he's a pro basketball player doesn't mean he can't also have a party trick.

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

it took tiger about three tries.

well, i think hitting a golf ball in the air is at least an order of magnitude easier than swishing four 80 foot jumpshots in a row. it would be like having tiger hit the wedge in the air and then the ball finding the cup for a hole in one.

13. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

It's fake. His shooting motion is not in the form it would take to shoot a 80ft shot.

14. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Think about it:
    He is a pro player. He is making a commercial where he is supposed to do 80f throw.

Do you think he wouldnt try to at least to do it in a realist way?

I dont think he wants to look like a fraud, honor and respect mean much to players, so I guess these are real throws BUT he had to do it several times before succeding to do 3 (?) in a row.

15. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

16. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

man, i can't believe we are even having this discussion... now i understand what the orig. poster was talking about.

it's a commercial. and it's supposed to be funny. it's supposed to be outrageous. it's supposed to look real, but not real. james knows it's not real. he's not worried about looking like a fraud because he knows no one would really take it seriously.

it's powerade making fun of itself, sort of, jokingly implying that drinking powerade will enable you to do outrageous stuff. if making several 80 ft jumpshots in a row was somehow doable in real life, then the whole point of the commercial is lost.

17. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

http://www.methodstudios.com/index.cgi?f=o&f2=x&f3=599&f4=&c=pxyqgvitYAFoE&cok=222446

here you go. it was created by a company called method.

digital imagery is the keyword here. while it's not explicitly stated whether the commercial is "real" or not, why bother waiting (and paying) for lebron's time to try to make impossible 80 footers in a row when you can just do digital image manipulations?

they also make mountain dew commercials, which clearly aren't real.

i hope this rests this issue. :D

18. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

btw, if you look at the commercial, you'll note that the ball goes off the screen on EVERY shot after it leaves lebron's hand.

19. Mantat macrumors 6502a

My point was not about the video being real or not. IT was just that he would at least give it a try to throw the ball in a 'realistic' way, it was more a comment to the people who previously said that his motion was wrong.

But I guess it cost less to digitaly edit the video than having the guy throw the ball for 5 hours until he gets it right....

20. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

his motion is wrong. i mean he looks like he's throwing regular 10 footers. that's why it's funny!

if it looked like he was really trying to make 80 footers, leaning into the shot and throwing it up there strongly, then it wouldn't be funny because it would be too realistic.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You don't get it. He is doing a free thow motion, implying that he can shoot an 80 foot shot like everyone else shoots a free throw. If you ever watched a basketball game and someone takes a half court shot or more, they put everthing into it. No one short of superman has that much power for the ball to go 80 feet with that style shot.

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    You could even go low-tech. Set up a cloth shelf above the camera where his balls land and have someone in the rafters dropping balls.

23. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Another point, do you really think that lebron's' coach and agent would allow him to shot full court shots for 5 hours? Do you have any idea what that would do to his shoulder?

24. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Okay, just watched it.

It's fake guys, come on. Funny, but fake.

Here's the proof: the link you provided has like 5 credits for visual effects supervisor and 3D designer.

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

1. I can't believe anyone thinks that is real. James hitting those shots is as fake as the sports reporter waiting to do his stand-up.
    2. I can't believe this thread is so long.
    3. The idea of him shooting for hours is out because the commercial is all done in a single shot (no edits).

Lethal