Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekornreeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Santa Barbara
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702leddisplay.html

When should we expect to see the 17" inch macbook pro with LED lit screens?? Also i'm curious when well see a 1920x1200 macbook pro as well. Currently I have a dell craptop with 1920x1200 display so I want to stay at the same resolution. I own a mac mini as my desktop, which I love, and thus my next laptop is going to be 17" mac book pro. I'm just unsure whether I should hold out for the LED lit screens.. If the 15.4 pro gets the LED lit screen first, and they upgrade the native resolution, then I'd opt for that..

Thanks, Dave :cool:

garethlewis2

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2006
You are going to be disappointed.

Even with a 1920x1200 resolution. The MBP will still display OS X fonts larger than your Dell running windows.

On Leopard, the fonts, windows, icons, etc are all going to be the same size irrespective of resolution, except for NSView objects which can and do have their own co-ordinate systems as well as scaling factors.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702leddisplay.html

When should we expect to see the 17" inch macbook pro with LED lit screens?? Also i'm curious when well see a 1920x1200 macbook pro as well. Currently I have a dell craptop with 1920x1200 display so I want to stay at the same resolution. I own a mac mini as my desktop, which I love, and thus my next laptop is going to be 17" mac book pro. I'm just unsure whether I should hold out for the LED lit screens.. If the 15.4 pro gets the LED lit screen first, and they upgrade the native resolution, then I'd opt for that..

Thanks, Dave :cool:

Ships 3-5 business days after it's announced.:cool:

dougnewman

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Long Island, NY, USA
Apparently they are going to do the 15.4" first, or so the rumors say.

I am not so terribly excited about the concept of LED backlights (which is what these rumors are talking about). I am more interested in an actual OLED display, or SED display, which will replace LCD technology entirely.

In the meantime I would very much like to see a display with a good LCD panel; that is an IPS or even PVA panel. Right now except for some 15" Lenovo and HP notebooks, I think all notebook displays are TN panels which means not-so-great viewing angles and color fidelity.

An IPS panel might even convince me to buy a MacBook Pro. As it is I am about to order a MacBook as soon as my buyer commits to buying my PowerBook.

thekornreeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Santa Barbara
You are going to be disappointed.

Even with a 1920x1200 resolution. The MBP will still display OS X fonts larger than your Dell running windows.

On Leopard, the fonts, windows, icons, etc are all going to be the same size irrespective of resolution, except for NSView objects which can and do have their own co-ordinate systems as well as scaling factors.

I have my fonts turned way up, so I can read them on the Dell craptop, so it's not going to be an issue.

osiris24x

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2007
LED based screens won't hit the market for quite a while, due to cost. The 15" models are expected to get them first, then the 17's later. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.