LED Displays for Upcoming Apple Laptops?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ThinkSecret reiterates recent rumors that Apple will be incorporating LED-powered displays in upcoming laptops.

The rumor site believes that Apple already has systems in development and the new laptops are expected sometime in the 2nd quarter of this year, possibly alongside an expected Core 2 Duo processor bump (2.4GHz T7700) from Intel.

Meanwhile, Samsung has conveniently just introduced 15.4-inch LED-backlit monitors at the International Conference and Exhibition on Display LEDs.

The Samsung LED display offers the same 15.4" size and 1440x900 resolution as current 15.4" MacBook Pros.

2. macrumors 68040

iW00t

This is good news. Will we see higher resolutions?

3. macrumors 68040

iSee

TS is almost never right--I think they just make the stuff up.

4. macrumors 68000

dernhelm

I may have to scrounge my nickels and scrape up enough cash for one of these.

5. macrumors newbie

I just wish they'd tell us something concrete... I need to buy a new laptop, the MBP is my choice, but if all I have to do is wait a week or two after my expected purchase date, then I'll suffer and wait. If it's months, I'll buy one as planned.

Looks like I'll be looking out for the Superbowl ads, and more rumors for events on the 20th Feb!

Fletch

6. macrumors 6502

I like it :)

But I like the prospect of the T7700 with 800FSB support and new chipsets even better :D

7. macrumors regular

irbdavid

Same resolutions, but lower power and hence more battery life, or same battery life and brighter displays, or a bit of both.

Not sure whether this is an improvement or not in terms of producing a display with an even backlight though, and until recently LEDs weren't too hot on producing an even white light source, as opposed to cathodes, which are about as white as white gets.

8. macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Colour...?

262,000 colours (6 bit) doesn't sound good.
    Neither does a colour gamut only 45% of NTSC.
    It's not even much thinner than a Powerbook lid...

What is there to like exactly?

9. macrumors 601

Diatribe

Number of colors 6 bit? :confused: I always thought a display had more.

Anyway, looks pretty nice, the only thing I don't know is whether I'd want a Rev. A of those things.

10. macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

wow, that Samsung monitor only uses 3.1W? that's truly impressive, don't normal 15" displays use 15-20W? I can't wait to see that technology in a laptop, it should result in excellent power savings, and maybe put an end to having to reduce screen brightness significantly to prolong battery life.

11. macrumors 6502a

It's a crap display, why is anyone celebrating?

It's only got 45% of NTSC 's gamut when a conventional LCD display has 82%, and the best Samsungs have 97%. (Syncmaster 931C)

The power consumption figure is the only good thing about it.

12. macrumors 68020

samh004

That does sound good, something to look forward to, as well as true 64-bit ? Will the new MBP's see more than 3.2GB of RAM ?

That's what I was thinking, may actually be beneficial waiting until Penryn now... ugh!

What does that mean to the average joe. What will I notice in difference between a display in the current line and a possible future line.

13. macrumors 601

Diatribe

The color reproduction kinda sucks. I don't think Apple would use something like this until the color reproduction is on par with current LCDs, especially considering that many people using a Mac need exactly that.

14. macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

My thoughts exactly. I'm not very impressed with those numbers displayed by that Samsung panel.

I had hopes we'd finally get rid of the 6bit limitations by now. Let alone a measely 45% NTSC gamut.

I guess I was expecting a bit too much from this "new" technology. :confused:

Let's hope Apple will put something a bit better in their line up.

15. macrumors 68020

samh004

Especially considering the MBP is a pro system...

16. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i agree. i don't get the hype about these displays. the displays are good as they are (unless you get a bad unit). and the power savings make what? 10% difference overall for the MBP?

a high resolution screen in combination with a resolution independent OS would be more exciting (to me at least;) )

17. macrumors 601

Diatribe

They definitely are the future in terms of even brightness, longevity and energy efficiency but there are still things to improve.
    Eventually they will become the standar, just give them 2 more years.

18. macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Exactly. Colour response on laptops is already compromised compared to good desktop monitors. The only reason to let coulour response slip, not improve, is to fit the display into an ultra portable that is not primarily used for photo/video work. Hence it doesn't yet make sense to get it in the 15" until the display tech improves.
    ..now bringing out a 4lb 12" MacBook Pro with this LED display DOES make sense. Maybe they could slip in one of those new 60GB 1.8" drives to save more weight/power, and use a low power core duo chip, to get 5+hours life from a tiny battery.

19. macrumors 6502

As usual a stupid rumor posted at a site, wishing that a prototype technology just debuted woud be in the newest commercialized laptop in months. Get over it. It will come when it will come and it won't be in 6 months either.

These are not rumors. Some Apple koolaid drunk wishing for things by putting them together. Just give us rumors TS. I just about had all this nonsense.

20. macrumors 6502a

Take a look at a PowerBook 5300ce from 1995 to get an idea. (or similarly aged LCD). This Samsung would look nearly as crap as the 5300ce, only brighter with a wider viewing angle. I don't believe Apple would even consider using that particular model display.

There were earlier rumors of a different company's LED backlighting technology a couple of weeks ago that had 106% of NTSC gamut. (I can't recall the company name) However the power consumption figures were about the same as today's CCFL backlights.

21. macrumors regular

Boo

They need to bump the resolution too. For being such expensive machines, their displays are a little un-impressive. Probably the one last thing pushing me away from the MacBook Pro

22. job
    macrumors 68040

job

:) I submitted the link on the Samsung displays.

Like others have mentioned, I am a little surprised by how poor the specs of the 15.4" LED display are. While it looks great in the pictures, reading the spec sheet doesn't make one any more confident about the prospect of using one of these displays.

Only 262K? Hopefully they've got another version up their sleeves that is a little better than that.

23. macrumors 68040

iSee

Not 'til all the resolution independent stuff has been added to OS X.

24. macrumors 6502

Actually this "rumor" was first mentioned by Appleinsider. I do not have the exact link but I do remember seeing it.

either way, I thought most of the MBP users who need dead accuracy of color do not use MBP screen anyway....don't they hook it up to one of those $5000 15 inch monitor?

Personally, I don't know why some of the apple users are so picky. MBP is not super expensive compared to other brand notebooks, yet people complain every single day. and most of the complaints are such a nitpicky stuff it's ridiculous (I am not talking about the screen here....things such as how MagSafe is too loose and stuff)

25. macrumors regular

Resolution wise, yes the MBP's display is a little dissapointing, but in other ways its better than what i've seen on most pc laptops, including thinkpads.

I've always noticed a difference in colors when comparing my powerbook to other non apple laptops. I was always under the impression that this was given to us at the cost of higher resolution, and it was worth it to me. Does anyone know which specification explains this difference? Is it the % of NTSC?

The difference I'm talking about is easily noticed when comparing 2 picture, one will have the correct orange or yellow while another laptop just looks washed out and "boring"

(I'm still not willing to trade this apple advantage for higher resolution)