Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
That does sound good, something to look forward to, as well as true 64-bit ? .

I was surprised to learn that only the Power mac G5 and the Macpro machiens are true 64 bit maschienes , ALL other macs are 32 bit.
Now i also think that you won't notice 64 bit over 32 bit unless you are working in a labratory butt still, i always thought that the mac maschiens all were 64 bit and that that was why we would benefit from the leopard all the way 64 bit OS .

Sorry if i'm going a bit off topic with this.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Only 262K? Hopefully they've got another version up their sleeves that is a little better than that.

What are the specs of the current screens ? Is this that whole thousands and millions of colors thing ?

I was surprised to learn that only the Power mac G5 and the Macpro machiens are true 64 bit maschienes , ALL other macs are 32 bit.

Yeah, apparently the C2D is 64-bit but the limitation is the current motherboard that is 32-bit, from what I have heard at least. The next revision should sort that out, at least for the MBP.

Then again what do I know...

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Yeah, apparently the C2D is 64-bit but the limitation is the current motherboard that is 32-bit, from what I have heard at least. The next revision should sort that out, at least for the MBP.

LOL , i just sold my core duo macbook of 2 months old to get the c2d macbook for that exact reason and now it seems i was misinformed and still am at 32 bit, that's a loss for me of 400 Euro in 2 months time on my book and aal i have to show for it is N net work support ,i sure hope i've learned froim this ;-), but i gues not.

fillz

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2003
As for a timetable for the laptops, sources believe Apple already has systems in development with the new displays and that production could begin as soon as later this quarter or, more realistically, some time in the second quarter.

Why does the Think Secret report state that this quarter is the first? Aren't we in second already?

Rocketman

macrumors 603

expected Core 2 Duo processor bump (2.4GHz T7700) from Intel.

Meanwhile, Samsung has conveniently just introduced 15.4-inch LED-backlit monitors at the International Conference and Exhibition on Display LEDs.

The Samsung LED display offers the same 15.4" size and 1440x900 resolution as current 15.4" MacBook Pros.

Aren't these statements in news releases by real companies and TS is only repeating them? You know, news not rumors?

Rocketman

iomar

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I am tired of the low life of my the battery on my MacBook Pro. I hope that they work this out it will be great to have longer battery life. I am sure when apple decides to bring this out on the laptops, it will be a good thing and it should work perfectly.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Its important to note the difference between this LED LCD and the high-end NEC displays.

The samsung uses white LEDs, thus giving it a low color gamut (white LEDs are not the best for truly white light

The NEC uses clusters of Red,Green,Blue LEDs, thus giving a much richer, pure white light, making a high color gamut possible.

This samsung is a step forward in energy consumption, a step backward in color performance.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
There were earlier rumors of a different company's LED backlighting technology a couple of weeks ago that had 106% of NTSC gamut. (I can't recall the company name) However the power consumption figures were about the same as today's CCFL backlights.

I can see apple doing this just to start the adoption rate, and for bragging rights. and later on watch the power consumption drop.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
This samsung is a step forward in energy consumption, a step backward in color performance.

Could we see this screen geared for highly mobile use, e.g. extended battery life in a light-weight and highly portable Macbook?

As much of a step back as it is, I'm sure there are people out there that would trade accuracy for longer battery life and a cooler running computer that weighs less.

I know I would.

aleck

macrumors member
May 6, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
I have Sony SZ1XP/C which has the LED-based display. Good sides: really bright (glossy is an overkill here), very very thin (1/4 to 1/3 thinner than other SZ1 models). Bad sides: far from color accurate - so much that I couldn't really manage to get it just right.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I'm very curious to see how these work, as anything that touts low power consumption is a good thing in my book.

Too bad I have to wait another 2 years before I can afford to upgrade again! :(

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
As usual a stupid rumor posted at a site, wishing that a prototype technology just debuted woud be in the newest commercialized laptop in months. Get over it. It will come when it will come and it won't be in 6 months either.

These are not rumors. Some Apple koolaid drunk wishing for things by putting them together. Just give us rumors TS. I just about had all this nonsense.

Cheer up Whistleway. It's not the end of the world.

I'd like to see this in an 11-13 inch MBP...

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
I just wish they'd tell us something concrete... I need to buy a new laptop, the MBP is my choice, but if all I have to do is wait a week or two after my expected purchase date, then I'll suffer and wait. If it's months, I'll buy one as planned.

Looks like I'll be looking out for the Superbowl ads, and more rumors for events on the 20th Feb!

Fletch

Depends, are you interested in the SantaRosa architecture, lower power requirements, LED display, Higher resolution screen, 4 Gig memory, included Leopard and iLife?

If not, buy now.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

If you mean the same as I do when you say "64 bit machine", all the current MacBooks, MacBook Pros and iMacs are 64 bit machines.

If you have some weird, different understanding of "64 bit machines", then the PowerMac G5 and the MacPros are NOT "true" 64 bit machines: The G4 was 36 bit, the G5 is 42 bit, and the MacPros are something around 40 bit.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
What are the specs of the current screens ? Is this that whole thousands and millions of colors thing ?

Curious...

If you mean the data path from RAM to CPU... well, that's been 64 bits wide ever since the original Pentium.

If you mean the internal register size, and thus the ability to execute any code that makes use of 64-bit atomic operations, that is present in any G5, Core 2 Duo, or 64-bit Xeon Mac.

If you mean the logical address space, and thus the possibility for a single process to allocate more than 4 GB of "memory" (be it real RAM, or paged from the hard disk), then that's also available in any G5, Core 2 Duo, or 64-bit Xeon Mac.

If you mean the physical RAM address space, then there is not now, nor will there likely be any time in the near future, any hardware that can actually make use of the full 64 bits worth of addresses. Different machines can address different amounts of physical RAM, as has been noted elsewhere.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If you mean the physical RAM address space, then there is not now, nor will there likely be any time soon, any hardware that can actually make use of the full 64 bits worth of addresses. Different machines can address different amounts of physical RAM, as has been noted elsewhere.

If we assume that there are 500 million PCs in the world with 1 GB of RAM each (which I think is quite a bit higher than the real numbers), then the total amount of RAM produced in the world, ever, is about 1/32nd of filling a 64 bit address space.

If RAM price goes down to one dollar per Gigabyte (it is about $100 today), filling a 64 bit address space will cast you 16 billion dollar.

I absolutely need a MacBook with 64 bit address space.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
If you mean the same as I do when you say "64 bit machine", all the current MacBooks, MacBook Pros and iMacs are 64 bit machines.

If you have some weird, different understanding of "64 bit machines", then the PowerMac G5 and the MacPros are NOT "true" 64 bit machines: The G4 was 36 bit, the G5 is 42 bit, and the MacPros are something around 40 bit.

I saw it on some develepors talk vid from apple were they clearly said with a picture and everything that the 32 bit platform still is, mac-mini, imac,mabooks,macbookpro's and only the G5 power mac an Mac Pro support 64 bit all the way . So i don't see how i can misinterputed that at all ;-).

I don't know if this is because of hard or software , but i was surprised to learn that, i thought all macs were 64 bit for at least a year or 2 now.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
:)

this would be awesome to have the led's and a little speed boost...if only the battery life could be increased...the led's should boost it by a little bit but its not going to add on anything close to 2 hours...i'm getting a laptop by june so hopefully they will come out with these:apple::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.