Lee Tamahori Busted for Solicitation

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by clayj, Feb 5, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just saw this on IMDb.com... Hugh Grant has nothing on this guy:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

[​IMG]

He deserves to be arrested anyway for making Die Another Day (and that's coming from a Bond fan).

What a sirry arse :rolleyes:

3. ecche macrumors regular

exactly!

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

What was wrong with Die Another Day, sure it lacked the Bond grit but that has been lacking since Sean Connery ended his bond career.

This made big news in NZ the other day.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hmmm, maybe he should have written a transvestite-prostitute cameo into Die Another Day... it would have been the most exciting part of the film.:rolleyes:

6. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

From IMDb today:

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Hollywood really does attract weird people. I mean, beyond Tamahori, there are all sorts of examples of bizarre behaviour coming out of Hollywood.

Eddie Murphy and his transvestite.
    Larry Wachowski and his weirdness.

I only named two examples, but there are countless examples of weirdness in Hollywood.

What is it about that place?

8. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Lots of money + unstable entertainment-type personalities = anything can and will happen.

That's the difference between an actor or actress who earns an obscene amount of money for pretending to be someone else and a businessman who earns his money by running a business... actors are pretty much allowed to get away with murder, so many of them do.

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Tamahori and Wachowski aren't actors though.

Really, it extends a lot further than simply what actors and actresses do.

At the same time, having lived so close to the area for quite a time, it's old news, and doesn't really bother me. That is, what they choose to do when they are not at work. If it doesn't directly affect me or people in general, I'm not against what people do.

I am fascinated by the fact that it happens so often amongst an identifiable group of people though, if for no other reason than to know why.

The more you find out about the things that go on in Hollywood, the more you'll be surprised.

I am just curious about why it is that way, which is really nothing new for me.

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

In one aspect, while it is out of the popularly perceived norm to dress as woman and whore yourself out, who really cares. The people who are going to pick up a man dressed as woman for whatever are as weird, according to those of us who know what weird is, right?

I do happen to think that it is weird, I couldn't imagine myself in that position.

But, isn't there at least a little part of everyone that is curious as to why someone in Tamahoris position would do this?

Simply commenting on the fact that it is weird behaviour doesn't really answer the more fascinating question of why this seems to happen so often in Hollywood.

Is it really just a result of boredom?

11. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Certainly, I am curious as to why some of the people who've been busted doing stupid crap in LA have done it...

Hugh Grant: C'mon, man... you were practically married to Elizabeth Hurley! Eddie Murphy: Another case of "hot wife/GF at home, so let's go do something stupid". Lee Tamahori: All I know about him is he's from New Zealand and he's directed some films. Winona Ryder: Shoplifting?

The only thing I can figure is that these people are all so bored with their idyllic lives that they feel the need to do things that are (1) perverse, (2) illegal, or (3) preferably both.

It just goes to show how so many successful people in the entertainment biz are spoiled and indulged to the point where they feel like they can do anything they want to. And it doesn't help that their influence in LA is so great that many of them receive just a slap on the wrist when anyone else would be doing real jail time.

12. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Life needs purpose in order to be rewarding. I am guessing that's what your saying, I couldn't agree more.

13. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Yeah, it's a good thing that businessmen are so ethical, decent, and hardworking. They can sell us flashing LED belt buckles to frighten away those pervert actors.

14. angelneo macrumors 68000

Maybe it is due to the fact that they are prominent figures, anything they do seems to be amplified, broadcast by the news, so it gives a illusion that many people in the entertainment circle are weirdo where in fact it is the same ratio as our average people?

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

In regards to call girls/hookers Charlie Sheen once said something to the effect of, "I don't pay them for sex. I pay them to go away afterwards." :D

I agree w/angelneo's post. It's not like Lee Tamahori was the first guy in drag to get busted soliciting an undercover cop in the history of the world. He's just famous enough to make the event "news worthy." If I get into a bar fight no one cares. If Russell Crowe gets into a bar fight it's national news.

LA is just such a H-U-G-E and diverse city that of course there are gonna be more "odd balls" here than in Indianapolis (my home town). But then again there's more of EVERYTHING in LA than in Indy (more blacks, jews, whites, hispanics, koreans, gays, straights, etc.,.).

Lethal

16. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it could be just an observer's bias issue.
    altough it might be true in general that artists tend to be more eccentric than non-artists (it might come with the package), you cited four examples of questionable behaviour. it's not that much, really.
    couldn't it be that actor/directors are just as weird, on average, as the 'normal' people? only, when THEY act weird, it makes the news.

edit: angelneo and lethal already made the point.

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

That's a good point, if the spotlight were focused on more than just those in Hollywood it probably wouldn't seem so focused amongst a small concentration of people.

Come to think of it, whenever I watch shows like Cops, I am surprised by the number of people out there doing strange things.