Left speaker has more bass than right?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iCaleb, Feb 13, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

I've done quite a few tests on my new 2012 21 inch iMac and have concluded that the left speaker has more punch or bass too it than the right speaker.

I did this test by going to settings and sliding the speaker balance to the right and left while listening to a song like this.

On the iFixit teardown it shows that the left speaker part is larger the the right speaker maybe the left has an added mini subwoofer?

This isn't a big issue for me since I use headphones most of the time.

Anyone else want to report their findings?

2. macrumors 603

My 2012 27" is the same, so I'm guessing it's normal.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Im glad that its not just me. ;)

How many other neatfreak ocd mac owners are there? (That check both L & R speakers individually) for any differences? :p

To further discuss my original question......

Why is the left speaker case much bigger than the right?

Is there some sort of mini subwoofer hiding in there or what? If not than why does it sound better than the right?

In the picture below the right speaker is on the left and the left speaker is on the right.

[​IMG]

4. macrumors regular

There probably is a bass or midrange speaker in one side or the other, however since bass is for the most part non-directional, it doesn't matter that it's offset. In a home theater system you typically don't put your subwoofer in the center of the room...it's usually to the left or right of your display.

5. macrumors newbie

Does anybody else have anything to contribute? The issue is still apparent in my new 2012 iMac when I use my external monitors going through an external audio interface.

6. macrumors 6502a

Mine is the same, it has too much bass as far as I'm concerned, it really muddies up some of my metal music.

7. macrumors newbie

I actually have the same problem.. its pretty weird. My husband thought i was just joking. But he can hear it too

8. macrumors 68040

What is happening? Or what is the problem? The bass tech is put on the left side of the speakers line. Instead to put 50%-50% they decide to put it all in the left one

9. macrumors newbie

So did anybody actually resolve anything? I promise whether imac speakers, headphones, or monitors through external soundcard the left is always bassier and causes that respective speaker ( in all 3 cases btw) to rattle as if clipping. Please help!

10. macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Buy a set of external speakers. The iMac speakers (although not terrible) are just not powerful enough and quite tinny sounding.

11. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

12. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

The left one is always bigger than the right one.

Oh...wait...

Never mind!:eek:

13. macrumors 603

Different levels of bass is normal for the iMac. However, rattling sure isn't.