Legal selling of your old registered software....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gusanitoverde, Feb 5, 2005.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Since I have iLife '05, I am planning to sell my disks of iLife '04. How legal is it, if I registered my software?

Somewhere I read that Apple gives you the license to give your software to another person if you are not using it anymore.

Now, if it's true, then, I have another question.

I bought some disks from a guy time ago, he did not need his software and told me that I could register it.

I installed in my mac, and I tried to register the software. Once I did, after I tried upgrading the software. It locked and the key number that came with the CD's was no good to unlock the upgraded software. So I had to uninstall and re-install it, and never upgraded it ever since, so it won't lock again. So how does this passing of software works? I hope I am explaining my dilemma properly.

Thanks. :(

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

>I bought some disks from a guy time ago, he did not need his software and told me that I could register it. So how does this passing of software work?

If you have Version 1 of software and upgrade to Version 2, you are not permitted to sell the Version 1 disks. The upgrade was at a reduced price from the full purchase price --you have transferred your license for V.1 to V.2, you have not acquired an extra license.

If you have V.1 and you buy a full license of V.2, then you can sell the V.1, disks, serial and transfer the license to the buyer, subject to the terms of the End User License Agreement (EULA). Some companies have transfer of license forms you must submit, a few companies charge a fee to transfer ownership of the license and reregister, When selling, you should always type up a simple letter for the buyer that says you are transferring the license and all rights to the software to the buyer.

If you are a buyer, if the seller says the software has a serial number but is not upgradeable, that usually means it is already regisetered to someone else, and that license is not being transferred to you. Or, the serial # is a crack. Either way you are not buying legal software.

There are some exceptions to the ability to sell a software/license.

Eduactional versions: Most Educational or Academic versions of software cannot be resold or transferred, even if no longer being used by the student.

Not for Resale (NFR) software: Demonstration, promotional and bundled versions of software are often marked Not for Resale, which means just what it sounds like. NFR software may not be sold or given away. FOr example, the iLife 5 that came with my Mini is labelled Not for Resale. It is bundled for use on that particular Mac only.

Foe example, here is an excerpt from the Adobe EULA:

Adobe License Transfer

You may, however, transfer all your rights to use the Software to another individual or legal entity provided that: (a) you also transfer (i) this agreement, (ii) the serial number(s), the Software and all other software or hardware bundled, packaged or pre-installed with the Software, including all copies, upgrades, updates and prior versions, and (iii) all copies of font software converted into other formats to such individual or entity;* (b) you retain no upgrades, updates or copies, including backups and copies stored on a computer; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this agreement and any other terms and conditions under which you purchased a valid licence to the Software. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not transfer education, pre-release, or not for resale copies of the Software.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

Thank you so much.

I in fact bought the full version, of iLife '05, not an upgrade. But about the other sotware, I never got a letter from the guy that sold it to me. I never asked for one. So I guess, I cannot call Apple to get their help on upgrade.

Do everything the way is supposed to be and avoid headaches. I learned from this one. Thanks again.