"Legalize marijuana" ads protected by U.S. Constitution.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcfudd, Jun 5, 2004.

1. mcfudd macrumors member

Marijuana policy ads protected as "free speech."

In a stinging rebuke, a federal judge strikes down a law prohibiting the display of marijuana policy reform ads in public transit systems, saying the government’s attempt to censor ads was "illegitimate and constitutionally impermissible." The judge also issues a permanent injunction prohibiting its enforcement.

The law, known as the "Istook Amendment," cuts off more than $3 billion in federal funding from local transit authorities nationwide that accept advertisements critical of current marijuana laws.

The court ruled that Americans have a right to hear the message that marijuana prohibition has been a cruel and expensive failure.

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

It seems like there are more important things to do in the world than worry about Marijuana being legalized. :rolleyes: Why do people get hung up on such stupid campaigns. Why not take that energy and use it somewhere useful.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We have a little thing or at least we would like to think we do called FREE SPEECH and our stinking govt is allways finding ways to take that away along with any thing else they can control. Police state big brother or whatever you want to call it we have more to fear from our own govt then we do from someone burning one.

4. mcfudd thread starter macrumors member

think before speaking

The whole point is we want to take the energy and money the government is spending on the war on drugs and use it somewhere more productive.

For example, spending money on education, healthcare, roads, etc.

There is also the deeper issue of whether or not the goverment should be telling me what I can and cannot do with my body.

If the police spent less time locking-up college students for smoking pot, they could spend more time catching terrorists who are trying to smuggle nukes into the counrty. Wake up!!

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

isnt that the truth, the whole making of weed illegal was another lie and had nothing to do with marijuana but had everything to do with mexicans and politicians many years ago, its time to start being honest instead of the false war on Drugs so govt can build itself up in prisons,laws,police state and judges and coutrooms who want to suck every tax dollar they can out of us under the pretense of fighting drugs. This is another example of Govt going to far and if people want to voice their opinion( Free speech) then let them. way to go judge!

6. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

It is stupid to have cigarettes and alchohol legal but not marjuana.
    Do you own your own body? Or does the goverment?

If all it does is harm yourself and you have been informed that it does in fact do so then there should be no law limiting your actions. Unless it harms others.

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Like I said...

8. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

Some of us can multitask.

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

So multitask to on an issues that are important...

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm with Von Troll on this one, though on little else: the VAST sums you lot spend on the politically fraudulent War on Drugs are comparable to the VAST sums spent on the politically fraudulent War on Islam - whoops, Terror. Both need to be addressed.

11. dopefiend macrumors 6502

I really hope your not implying that the U.S. has a problem with Islam.....

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perish the thought! :rolleyes:

13. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Good, becuase you would be dead wrong.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm biting my tongue as we speak.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"It seems like there are more important things to do in the world than worry about Marijuana being legalized."

Of course there are. That's the whole point.

The real issue is not the legalization of marijuana. It's a summation of many issues, such as freedom of speech, in this particular instance. The summation includes the waste of time, effort and money in the War On Some Drugs and the reductions of liberty that accompany: The impacts on the Fourth and Fifth Amendments, among others. "No knock" raids; "Arrest the money"...Further, the majority of all violent crime has to do with acquiring the money to buy high-priced, black-market drugs, or to control the sale thereof. That's the primary source of the emotions about gun-control, a Second Amendment issue.

All these factors have contributed to the police-state atmosphere now extant in the U.S.

The last time I saw numbers (a few years back), the cost to the taxpayer for the WOSD was some $90 billion, and the expenditures for these high-priced black-market drugs ran about the same.

(Who but Gummint could take $20/ton cattle fodder and by some scribblings render it into a $500/pound controlled substance?)

And in 1973, the LA Times ran a lengthy analytical article pointing out how the WOSD had been lost.

'Rat

16. mcfudd thread starter macrumors member

whatever

I know, I could spend my time trolling forums looking for topics that I think are boring. Then, I could post condescending replys in an effor to stall the debate.

Sorry Neserk, this is a very important issue --- we do not need your stamp of approval to proceed.

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

A) since when does anyone care what I think? B) I have as much right to say this is a stupid discussion as you do to say it is an important one!

So there :p

18. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

My comment was not on the freedom of speech part. It is on why people are so hung up on having a stupid drug legalized. Get over it already! Is there life going to missing something of great importance because they can't smoke something that makes it near impossible for them to function? I think not.

19. benguru macrumors newbie

Sorry

Hi,
    You say Americans doesn't hate Islam, then why do some sell this? I'm not saying everyone does, I certainly don't. But some people are very racist.

20. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

wow. you really have no clue. the laws against pot are those laws that are the most meaningless. it hurts no one but the user and even then it doesn't hurt them really. its an altered state of mind that is harmless. this horrible world western society has created has been done because so many bend to the will of corporate or political (both are the same thing anyway) authority. if more people smoked weed the earth would be in better shape I can promise you.

rastas and hippies or whoever else is known for smoking weed are some of the most peaceful and moral humans alive.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if it walks, looks and quacks like a duck...

...it's the Democritization of the Middle East!

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what about the harm caused by minimum sentencing laws that lock up people who otherwise contribute to society and pushes out more violent criminals on the other side due to lack of space?

23. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

California sends drug abusers/users to rehabilitation, not jail :rolleyes:

24. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Yes (though the term is 'muslims') - The lesser US press (read, Fox) always seems to focus on the Islamic specifics of terrorism and its off shoots. For example, a section of the press seems to relentlessly refer to the "God is great" phrase heard during the Berg decapitation. There seems to be a clear anti-Islamic agenda going on. In the British press at least, the IRA were never referred to as 'Catholic terrorists', simply the 'IRA'.

25. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Wow you really have no clue. I guess when you've been smoking pot and get in your car and kill all your friends in the car it didn't hurt anyone, huh?

It impairs your memory and cognitive functioning for 28 days after you quit.

http://www.researchmatters.harvard.edu/story.php?article_id=309

And with that argument you do realize that using cocaine, heroine, and opium doesn't hurt anyone but the user either?