Legally instal Tiger on iMac AND iBook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ShaggyLR, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaggyLR macrumors member

I just want to confirm that if I purchase Tiger that I can install it on both a desktop (iMac G3) AND my iBook? They are both in the same household. Or can you install it on one computer only?

Thanks.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can install it on all of your computers, and anyone elses. There is no license key or any of that stuff with OS X (or any version of Mac OS for that matter).

3. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

you are comptley wrong there, im 100% sure it can only be installed once, just becuase it has no copy protection or keys doesnt change anything

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It seems like, from the OP's thread title, Legally install that s/he is trying to do the right thing.

I believe that if you read the EULA (assuming we're talking about the standard retail version of Tiger) that you are only legally allowed to install it on one machine period.

If you buy a family pack then you may install it on X number of machines in your household.

From the Apple Store online, on the page regarding Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger":

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It can only be installed once, Morally? Or Physically?
    You can take your lectures elsewhere on who is right or wrong, but I didn't think there is anything wrong with installing it on the Macs you own.
    Sheesh.

6. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

well if you ahve read he title it says legally not ilegally

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

If you read the FAQ of MacRumors, you'd see that talk of illegal activity and 'warez' is not tolerated.
    That's what I referred to first in my first post. ;)

8. neut macrumors 68000

neut

MacRumors does not condone software piracy ... you should re-read the Forum rules. Of course the Mac OS does not block you from installing it on multiple comps (there are many reasons why you should be able to), but if you are going to be using OS X (Tiger) on multiple computers (that did not ship with it pre-installed) you should buy a family license (which is less than the price of two copies). We can't all afford everything, but we should at least inform others what their legal options are before we start suggestiong piracy. :rolleyes:

peace | neut

9. ShaggyLR thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. For some reason, I thought I remembered something about the single user version being allowed to be on one desktop and one laptop, owned by the same person. I guess I must have been mistaken.

Dave

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm glad that you don't think so but the licence doesn't allow for that. So, the lectures are appropriate here. Suggesting that people do otherwise is seriously wrong--please don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.