Legendary hacker to get unleashed and online

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by madamimadam, Jan 19, 2003.

1. madamimadam macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2002
    "One of the world's most famous computer hackers gets off probation this week and plans to dive back into the Internet, his former playground where breaking-and-entering landed him in jail for five years.

On Tuesday, 39-year-old Kevin Mitnick will log on to the Internet for the first time in eight years, during the live TechTV show "Screen Savers." Also scheduled to be on the program are Shawn Fanning, creator of Internet music downloading pioneer Napster, and Steve Wozniak, a co-founder of Apple Computer Inc."

Full Article Here
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Re: Legendary hacker to get unleashed and online

oh yeah, i saw this guy on a special on tlc or some channel like that. this guy did some badass stuff online. i hope he learns his lesson and doesnt do stupid stuff like that again.

3. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2002
    Re: Re: Legendary hacker to get unleashed and online

Well, while he has been out of jail he has been working in the security industry advising people on ways to secure their technology. Only difference is that now he is actually allowed to use the technology he teaches about.
  4. dricci macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2001
    Fr33 Kev1n! :D

I hope he uses a Mac for his first time online... But I doubt it since it'll be on TechTV ;)
  5. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

May 2, 2002
    Mitnick is the man, his new book is out, The Art of Deception -- supposed to be some security book on social engineering, but I read it because it's basically a story book of alot the SE incidents, well worth the $15, very fun read.
  6. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Re: Re: Legendary hacker to get unleashed and online

Mitnick did not do some badass stuff online. He just wanted to do it and it wasn't that bad at all.

I'm so glad one of the most well known hackers on earth is finally free.
  7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    You know hackers say that they are security experts whenever they are in a place that people might be listening in, I expect many many domains to start going down again.

Hacking is to profitable not to start doing it again, yeah I'm gonna get a low paying security job, No.
    I don't think so.
  8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    i wonder if he'll do up the RIAA's site just for fun

though that might be like sloppy seconds...no fourths... for him he he :D
  9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Poor guy's got to learn to deal with popup ads, popunder ads, floating ads, interactive ads, flash ads, and musical ads all in one day. i feel very sorry for him indeed.

glad he's finally free. i thought the punishment was a little (lot) severe and unusual... but then i'm not a judge.

i'd kill for the guy's email address. have a few ideas of my own.... >:)

10. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

Aug 26, 2002
    In a dark corner somewhere. Help me..

What are you an idiot?? Hacking is profitable?? Domains start going down again?? Do you even know what he was in jail for? Geez you are sadly misinformed.