Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
So pending some possible transactions with fellow members, I may buy a Powermac G4 Sawtooth from Wegener Media. Does anybody have any experience with them? Are they a legitimate dealer?

Forgive my skepticism, i just don't wanna get ripped off...

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Steamboat, I would be uncomfortable doing business with them. Simply because of the post above. Right after you post asking if anyone thinks wegenermedia.com is legit and less then 40 minutes later someone posts a rave review of this company.

They are so enthused that they even post price for multiple items. That looks more like a Craigslist spam then anything.

drummerbooker14

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2006
Georgia
i doubt it is a legit retailer. but you can check with your credit card co. to see their policy on moneyback from being ripped off. i know american express gives ful rebates

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
G5power said:
Steamboat, I would be uncomfortable doing business with them. Simply because of the post above. Right after you post asking if anyone thinks wegenermedia.com is legit and less then 40 minutes later someone posts a rave review of this company.

They are so enthused that they even post price for multiple items. That looks more like a Craigslist spam then anything.

That was my first impression, too, but it's not that member's first post or anything. It would be weird that this person who had already begun posting here just happened to be in cahoots with that company. Not that it's impossible, just that it's not as easy to tell as usual. Also, I have not looked at the site yet, so I can make no comments about how it looks.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Their web site on one page states this: 803.926.1555 õ Columbia, SC õ In business since 1990 õ

However, on their home page it states this: Greetings, and thanks for stopping by. We've been in business since 1989,

So is it 89 or 90? If they can't get their scam story right then what (or who) else will they screw up?

The web site is pretty crappy...

and this seems like a sketchy policy...1. Any item sold as working is guaranteed non-DOA. If it is DOA (dead upon arrival), we will replace or refund at our discretion, UNLESS it was purchased without shipping insurance. Please purchase shipping insurance--it really is worth $1 or $2 on an item worth hundreds! Shipping insurance collection is the obligation of the purchaser.

My question is this- why would insurance change anything? Oh yeah, it is a way for them to say they didn't mess up the computer- go to UPS or Fed Ex and try and get a new computer out of them. Ha!

I say, if you have to ask don't buy! There are so many other reputable companies out there to buy from - all it takes is one scam in a life time to cost you more than you would save buying a cheaper mac each time you purchase. (For example, if you get scammed for $1200 machine lets say- you would have to be saving $300 on each computer purchase four times to break even! Not worth it in my book!)

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Then can you reccomend any companies that sell refurbished G4 Sawtooths and are legitimate?
You guys are probably right, but i can't understand why Low End Mac (click)
would list it as a seller if it wasn't legit.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I googled them, and found mixed reviews. Some people sent their computer in for repairs, and they were returned with additional problems. A couple people seemed to have no problems at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.