Legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 90003, Nov 21, 2006.

1. 90003, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I always thought requiring pre-approved bidders was another warning sign but I'm not entirely sure why. I don't use eBay for large-ticket items.

3. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

There is another listing similar to this one floating around for an iMac.

The problems with the listing are three-fold:

1) The listing has no real pictures
    2) There is a pre approved bidding list. Screams danger. Probably will get you to pay him outside eBay by the time you've contacted him.
    3) The price is obviously very low. Whatever he says, even if he won it in a competition he's still going to get the very best price he can.

Stay away!

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I would be a bit concerned because he says he is listing it elsewhere and can cancel the auction at any time. It seems tricky to me. My opinion, don't do it.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The formatting looks awfully similar to the one mentioned here...you can see all the reasons that one appears to be a scam.

6. vniow macrumors G4

The general rule of thumb is if you have to ask, then probably not.

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

No real pictures is a big sign I think. I vote scam.

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I'm guessing that as soon as you request pre-approval, he'll offer to sell it to you outside of eBay... with Western Union or wire transfer as payment.

9. 90003, Nov 21, 2006
  10. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Contact him, ask for approval and if he asks you to do it outside of ebay report him, they will suspend the account (usually at least). If he doesn't offer, ask for real pictures.

11. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

12. 90003, Nov 21, 2006
  13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

At first glance, this one appears okay to me. It follows the style and template of his other recent successful auctions. Nothing about it jumps out at me as scammy.

Don't know what the reserve price is on it, but the BIN price is reasonable.

I'm also curious about why ChickenSwartz doesn't like it.

14. 90003, Nov 21, 2006
  15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I think it's just really crappy compression of the image.

16. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

OK maybe to say it is not legit would not yet be called for. I wouldn't buy though.

-Why is the picture so blurry? If you want to sell something, you need to be sure the person can see your product.
    -What's the deal with all the other pictures?
    -Before I would buy off e-bay I would make sure you see a picture of the screen and keyboard.

17. Mr. DG macrumors regular

Mr. DG

the 1st macbook one is a scam. Exactly the same format as this iMac auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-iMac-G5...oryZ4603QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The clever thing is it's not a take-all-your-money and leave you with no computer type scam; it's to get you to sign up to their pyramid scheme when they get in touch with you; telling you the computer has been sold elsewhere.

The 2nd one looks genuine. Plus Currys were selling off those CD macbooks for £699 so £650 doesn't seem too cheap like the other ones.

The real test is always contacting the buyer then using your common sense to read between the lines of the emails.

18. nitynate macrumors 6502a