Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Anyone had a chance to try out the new Leica Q? Opinions or thoughts except the usual bitching about Leica pricing?

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Anyone had a chance to try out the new Leica Q? Opinions or thoughts except the usual bitching about Leica pricing?
Not touched one myself yet, but haven't read one single bad thing about it. Seems to be a fantastic camera. I shoot 24mm and 28mm anyway, they're the only 2 lenses i have, so the Q is definitely on my radar.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I am ready to push the button. Just messing about with 28mm lens on my current camera to see if it is a focal length i can use.

If not then I am holding on for the Sony A7Rii...

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I am ready to push the button. Just messing about with 28mm lens on my current camera to see if it is a focal length i can use.

If not then I am holding on for the Sony A7Rii...

I'm salivating thinking I could have my first Leica. I passed on the X and T because of the reviews and sluggish performance. Now comes a FF compact with fast AF, I'm thinking of selling my Fuji X100T to help fund.

I recently took my Sony A7II with 28mm FE to Greece and actually really loved that focal length. 35mm was my favorite but now I'm really growing to love the 28mm focal length.

You can check out my photos here: https://instagram.com/explore/tags/hellomikeeingreece/

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'm salivating thinking I could have my first Leica. I passed on the X and T because of the reviews and sluggish performance. Now comes a FF compact with fast AF, I'm thinking of selling my Fuji X100T to help fund.

I recently took my Sony A7II with 28mm FE to Greece and actually really loved that focal length. 35mm was my favorite but now I'm really growing to love the 28mm focal length.

You can check out my photos here: https://instagram.com/explore/tags/hellomikeeingreece/
Pretty much same here. Paralysed right now. I have the 35 and 50 summiluxes for my Sony a7 and love using them. Also have the 35,50,70-200 FEs... but want IBIS as I suck at holding the camera still!

I have been bitten by the Leica bug and I am desperately trying to work out whether to upgrade my a7, do I bite the bullet and get an M - which I know is way beyond my capabilities as it the A7 - or do i get the Q so get into Leica world. I *think* I can see a Leica vs clinical sony lenses But I am likely seeing the glare of the red dot...

Turns out the 28mm is not that unfamiliar to most of us as that is what our camera phones are...

Of course the 28mm f2 FE would be a lot cheaper than a Q...

But man that is a nice bit of kit And Sony arent going to let this one pass so expect a RX1mkii at some point...

Also, I have a house to finish decorating so I could do without dropping £4.5k on two new bodies.. :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
If I could afford it I'd have one in a heartbeat. I love my X100T but those Q files look gorgeous and everyone seems to be raving about how good it is at the moment. Way out of my price range unfortunately.
I think you meant to type fortunately right? I honestly think a Q in your hands would be dynamite... just sayin'

:)

retroboyjinny

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
I bought a Leica X 113 last year. My first Leica. I just got the Leica Q from Mayfair, I called the day after it was released and I was told I was number 50 in the queue. Lucky for me they had one for me in 2 weeks.

Anyway part of me wishes I hadn't bought the X and had gone straight onto this one. But then we all can't predict the future when it comes to tech.

Anyway the new Q is amazing, I'm really enjoying it, it doesn't have pin point focus option unlike my X but other than that it is really good.

I think by having the X first I have really learnt to appreciate the Q.

I recommend it to everyone

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I bought a Leica X 113 last year. My first Leica. I just got the Leica Q from Mayfair, I called the day after it was released and I was told I was number 50 in the queue. Lucky for me they had one for me in 2 weeks.

Anyway part of me wishes I hadn't bought the X and had gone straight onto this one. But then we all can't predict the future when it comes to tech.

Anyway the new Q is amazing, I'm really enjoying it, it doesn't have pin point focus option unlike my X but other than that it is really good.

I think by having the X first I have really learnt to appreciate the Q.

I recommend it to everyone

Coming from the X, do you see an improvement in IQ? What is the low light capability like? Noise at high iso OK in real world?

By pinpoint focus what do you mean? I desperately want to try Leica for myself but coming from DSLR via mirrorless, the rangefinder of the M concerns me as I have become lazy with TTL methods now, so thought the Q would be ideal middle ground.

I love the images from my Summiluxes but GAS is making me yearn for a red dot body...

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I think you meant to type fortunately right? I honestly think a Q in your hands would be dynamite... just sayin'

:)

Lol. Fortunately might be right Ken. I think Mrs MacRy would be removing soft dangly items of my anatomy from the washing line if I spent that much on a new camera.

Thanks for the compliment, I'll just have to pinch whatever red dot camera you end up with and see whether that's true ;)

retroboyjinny

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Coming from the X, do you see an improvement in IQ? What is the low light capability like? Noise at high iso OK in real world?

By pinpoint focus what do you mean? I desperately want to try Leica for myself but coming from DSLR via mirrorless, the rangefinder of the M concerns me as I have become lazy with TTL methods now, so thought the Q would be ideal middle ground.

I love the images from my Summiluxes but GAS is making me yearn for a red dot body...

Yep it is much better than the X, it is great in low light etc.. It has so many extras vs the X 113 it's such an improvement. The AF is so much faster. But to be honest you would hope so, as it does cost double the amount of an X 113

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The Q is expected in New Zealand in mid July, so about a fornight. The estimated price will be $6,800 NZ.

KGB:eek:

See there is the question. As I have some summilux glass already, do I go queue for a Q or do I get an A7Rii and continue to use my M glass... OR punt my glass and fund a Q... decisions decisions... truth is I am not a good enough photographer to use M glass anyway... :-(

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
See there is the question. As I have some summilux glass already, do I go queue for a Q or do I get an A7Rii and continue to use my M glass... OR punt my glass and fund a Q... decisions decisions... truth is I am not a good enough photographer to use M glass anyway... :-(
I personally think that you should just donate your M glass to someone south of the border......... ;)

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Neither am I but I still use it ..... Life's too short for gear guilt.

I beg to differ. I disagree with the former but heartily agree with the latter. We do however have to reconcile it in our head beyond the kid like defence of "I want one!"... or do we :)

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yeah but you can never have enough lenses and Leica's are the pinnacle really aren't they.

I refuse to comment based on my not wanting to be an enabler for your GAS. :)

But they are really nice.. so... speaking of lika-de-leica.... are we getting a Q given availability of funds yes? All agreed say aye

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Leica —
Enjoy.
This beautiful Leica ad just won at the Cannes Lions festival.

Personally I'll buy the just announced Sony RX100 IV (M4) when it hits the shelves during july. I would love a Q had I had the money. But hey, with the RX100 IV ( http://bit.ly/1CFdRgo ) – if I can't take great photos, it is not the cameras fault.
And omg, that 1000fps super-slowmotion...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just spotted this thread, and am surprised that I hadn't even spotted that a new Leica model had come out.

Agree about the T and the X, but - at first glance the Q does seem to be a lovely camera.

A few words about the glass; yes, very pricey, but - once you have them firstly, you will have them forever, and secondly, if you ever do need to sell them, Lecia glass holds its value and you should be able to recoup the outlay or something very close to it, which is not something that can be said for other lenses.

Reactions: Meister
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.