Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I love the direction Leica is going with the Q. It's a gorgeous camera with what appears to be a great 28mm Summilux.

Quick question for you Leica aficionados: I was under the impression "Summilux" referred to a f/1.4 lens, but this is f/1.7, so is "Summilux" anything faster than f/2 but slower than a Noctilux?

Anyway, looks like a really slick minimalistic camera, if you're a 28mm shooter. I find 28 a little wide, and 50 a little tight (for a fixed lens), a 35mm Q would be my dream machine.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love the direction Leica is going with the Q. It's a gorgeous camera with what appears to be a great 28mm Summilux.

Quick question for you Leica aficionados: I was under the impression "Summilux" referred to a f/1.4 lens, but this is f/1.7, so is "Summilux" anything faster than f/2 but slower than a Noctilux?

Anyway, looks like a really slick minimalistic camera, if you're a 28mm shooter. I find 28 a little wide, and 50 a little tight (for a fixed lens), a 35mm Q would be my dream machine.

Hm. Well, I had assumed that the Summilux designation describes a lens with an aperture of 1.4, whereas the Summicron is used to describe a lens with a maximum aperture of 2.0.

Each of the two Summilux lenses that I have - the 35mm and the 50mm - & I just checked them both to confirm this - have a maximum aperture of 1.4.

I hadn't realised that the Leica Q's fixed 28 mm 'Summmilux' was a 1.7.

Indeed, only earlier this year, Leica had released a 'true' 28mm Summilux, for the M range, with an aperture of 1.4, a lens which had a number of Leica aficionados drooling openly, as, prior to that the 28mm could only be opened up to 2.0 with the Summicron. Knowing that a 'true' Summilux 28mm lens is now available, I had assumed that some tweaked version of this was the lens they decided to furnish the Q with.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Sidenote is this the same sensor as the M240?

No, according to Leica:

"No, it's neither a Sony sensor (like in the X range) nor a CMOSIS/STMicro sensor (like in the M). For the moment, we'd rather keep the information to ourselves, but we can say that the Q's sensor has been exclusively developed for us by our industrial partner, so it won't be found in any other manufacturers' products. [...] And no, there's no low-pass filter."

http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/meet-designers-behind-leica-q-typ-116-a2231.html

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Do you have any good samples to check out? I haven't done extensive research on the Q yet but what I was seeing wasn't blowing me away. I thought the IQ looked below the RX1 but as you guys stated it depends on the source.

Sidenote is this the same sensor as the M240?
There's a few ways to approach this. For carefully chosen shots which show what the camera is capable of, Leica's site, Q Sample Gallery. For shots from normal users (at least normal for Leica), Flickr's Leica Q group. Also LeicaRumors.com and see reviews by people who use cameras to take pictures rather than publish reviews to get traffic and hope you click on a Buy link.

Leica has a look to their files. As good as they may be, you may not like them. If you use and like Classic Chrome (OOC, not Adobe's attempt at it) on your X100T, you should get along very well with Leica. Way better shadow detail as well. If you prefer Provia, Astia or Velvia, the Leica will have less pop.

Different sensor. Less magenta issues than either the M9 or 240.

Tomorrow I will go, I will look, I will touch, I will play. My guess is 50% of the buys are emotional. Will see how well I hold up when faced with an utterly gorgeous piece of gear with the wrong focal for me. Wife, another photographer, is no help, she's going to a boutique right down the street. Quite capable of spending 2 Q's by the time she's out of that place.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
There's a few ways to approach this. For carefully chosen shots which show what the camera is capable of, Leica's site, Q Sample Gallery. For shots from normal users (at least normal for Leica), Flickr's Leica Q group. Also LeicaRumors.com and see reviews by people who use cameras to take pictures rather than publish reviews to get traffic and hope you click on a Buy link.

Leica has a look to their files. As good as they may be, you may not like them. If you use and like Classic Chrome (OOC, not Adobe's attempt at it) on your X100T, you should get along very well with Leica. Way better shadow detail as well. If you prefer Provia, Astia or Velvia, the Leica will have less pop.

Tomorrow I will go, I will look, I will touch, I will play. My guess is 50% of the buys are emotional. Will see how well I hold up when faced with an utterly gorgeous piece of gear with the wrong focal for me. Wife, another photographer, is no help, she's going to a boutique right down the street. Quite capable of spending 2 Q's by the time she's out of that place.

Dont do it. If you go there, you have mentally accepted you are buying at least 1. Once you touch it, you better have the inner strength of a bhuddist monk to resist that bad boy.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'm laughing at this post; it is actually very funny and more than a little bit true.

Yeah you know what I am talking about!

We have all done it...."I'll just go have a look, check it out. No harm no foul." Hour later....

"No honey, I will sell my old camera. It is worth a couple hundred less than this new one. So only really cost a few hundred [thousand] more."

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah you know what I am talking about!

We have all done it...."I'll just go have a look, check it out. No harm no foul." Hour later....

"No honey, I will sell my old camera. It is worth a couple hundred less than this new one. So only really cost a few hundred [thousand] more."

Yes, I do know. Actually, I know that story - draws deep breath - very, very well.

The old "I'll go and have a look to check it out" is fatal with Leica. Fatal.

Reactions: kenoh

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Dont do it. If you go there, you have mentally accepted you are buying at least 1. Once you touch it, you better have the inner strength of a bhuddist monk to resist that bad boy.
I have 2 choices. Go with wife to her favorite boutique and potentially watch 2 Q's walk out of the store in bags in my hands. Or tempt my fate at the camera store. I don't want a fixed 28, I don't want a fixed 28, just practicing.

There's also the possibility he will tell me the same thing he did the last time I wanted to spend stupid money. Answered "what should I do" by pointing to the X100T that was hanging on my shoulder.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014

I was able to see some proper samples. IQ is excellent on the Q. I did notice the camerastoretv review stated the jpegs from the Leica Q are awful so I might have saw them instead.

Very cool camera from the looks of it. Way out of my price range and even if I was looking to spend that money I'd probably have a hard time doing it with a possible RX2 coming down the pipe.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I have 2 choices. Go with wife to her favorite boutique and potentially watch 2 Q's walk out of the store in bags in my hands. Or tempt my fate at the camera store. I don't want a fixed 28, I don't want a fixed 28, just practicing.

There's also the possibility he will tell me the same thing he did the last time I wanted to spend stupid money. Answered "what should I do" by pointing to the X100T that was hanging on my shoulder.

They wont have one in stock so there wont be any walking out with two. :)

I played with one for an hour, poured over prints made at A3 size and agonised over the 28mm focal length.

It is a seriously nice camera. Hell I even caught myself convincing myself I could BECOME a street photographer! I dont like street photography per se! Not because I dont like it more I just cant do it right.

It is a strangely hypnotic thing but the truth is, they arent in stock anywhere, I really like my A7 and there are Sony upgrades a plenty on the horizon that I think are a "better" fit for me right now.

So be sure to let us know how you get on with yours. :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
They wont have one in stock so there wont be any walking out with two. :)

I played with one for an hour, poured over prints made at A3 size and agonised over the 28mm focal length.

It is a seriously nice camera. Hell I even caught myself convincing myself I could BECOME a street photographer! I dont like street photography per se! Not because I dont like it more I just cant do it right.

It is a strangely hypnotic thing but the truth is, they arent in stock anywhere, I really like my A7 and there are Sony upgrades a plenty on the horizon that I think are a "better" fit for me right now.

So be sure to let us know how you get on with yours. :)

Well, I am a big fan of the concept of deferred gratification………

Even if I wanted one, I certainly wouldn't buy it just yet. For one thing, I am quite happy with my M6; for another, given the direction of Leica's evolution in recent years, the 'T' and the 'Q' are by no means the last offerings we shall see from this splendid manufacturer

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Well, I am a big fan of the concept of deferred gratification………

Even if I wanted one, I certainly wouldn't buy it just yet. For one thing, I am quite happy with my M6; for another, given the direction of Leica's evolution in recent years, the 'T' and the 'Q' are by no means the last offerings we shall see from this splendid manufacturer

Oh god yes, I am saving now because I know when the Next Gen M comes out I am toast... I might as well start a Christmas Savings club with my local dealer now to soften the financial impact when the time comes to lay down some plastic and take home a new light box.

I would get an M6 and go for the purist experience but I will spend the cost of a New M in film processing within a couple months!! my keeper rates are real low as in all honestly, I suck at this camera lark!

Keep shooting guys.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh god yes, I am saving now because I know when the Next Gen M comes out I am toast... I might as well start a Christmas Savings club with my local dealer now to soften the financial impact when the time comes to lay down some plastic and take home a new light box.

I would get an M6 and go for the purist experience but I will spend the cost of a New M in film processing within a couple months!! my keeper rates are real low as in all honestly, I suck at this camera lark!

Keep shooting guys.

Yes, um.

I can see where you are coming from to a certain extent.

However, precisely because I still shoot with film, I got a M camera in order to master - and build up a collection of - M lenses, while mulling over the eventual possibility of switching to digital.

The M8 and its immediate successors haven't yet managed to bowl me over, although I don't doubt that somewhere in its future, Leica will have produced a digital camera that will astound me (and seduce me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.