Leipzig Wii video

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://uk.media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vid_1657122.html

This is nice to see, good, free high quality footage of the Wii.

It made me want BWii too. The controls look perfect for the game and I'm very impressed with how much better than the first game it looks. And Mario Smash Football 2 (or whatever it's called) looks brilliant.

Though it's mad that these visuals are being produced on E3 Wii's. IIRC the systems have been pumped up somewhat.
    But going back to Smash Football 2... Anyone notice the huge 3D audience? I didn't know the Wii could do that... there is a lot of 3D going on there, all without noticeably jaggy polygons so there must be a lot of them. Is this part of the power of the Wii, a much improved Cube processor that can blit 3D objects?

bit of a Duck Hunt style game at the end too ;)

Very impressed with Red Steel too. well, sorta. The graphics are a mixed bag. the sprites look incredible and sort of '2d' in their great detail and sharp lighting, and all the lighting effects are very well done. But (and I find this with most games) the scenery and blending looks a little off.

2. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Smash Football? Is that what they call Strikers in Europe? :D
    I'll always thing of the oblong pigskin ball when I hear football.
    Unless it's pronounced by someone with a hispanic accent, like "futbol".

3. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Oh I want my Wii now! :p This waiting is killing me

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Battalian Wars 2 looks good

Mario Strikers looks lovely surprisingly. Did the GC version look anyway near as good???

Red Steel failed to impress me, looks like Maken X for the dreamcast :confused: Also why couldnt they animate the mouths / faces of the enemys - especially when they are talking to you?
    Sensitivity/Aiming which has been an issue throughout the many many previews of this game still seems ???

He also did comment that he would have loved to see it in HD....

6. pizzach macrumors member

pizzach

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that! I believe it's the first time I've noticed a 3d audience in a game. What a massive waste of polygons. :p :D

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oblong pigskin ? We call that a rugby ball.

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

hey if theres no slowdown!... which there isn't the slightest bit of, and these are old Wii kits. I keep getting the feeling Nintendo has something up it's sleeve, especially for the polygon pushing power (PPP!... ?).

9. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I watched this video last night and I have to say that mario strikers and bw2 look pretty cool. I can't wait for this system! But, I didn't feel wowed by Red Steel. It seems like a game that is just trying to implement the wii-mote for the first person shooter, kind of like a test subject. I don't think it will be until metroid prime 3 until it is perfected. Oh well, I'll try it when it comes out anyway.

10. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Great video; although I had to FF through it some. He seemed like an honest reviewer and he grumbled quite a bit about the Red Steel targeting. Why would Nintendo hold back the AAA first party titles at that show? It seems like Zelda and Metroid (at least) would have perfect controls that would show the system off better.

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Both games will be launch titles :)

12. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Looked pretty cool

I dug the Wii sports, Mario Strikers, and whatever that Duckhunt looking game was at the end.

I still can't wait to get my hands on this system.

13. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

8-10 feet away is too close?

I have a 20" TV... looking at that from more than six feet away looks like you're looking at a Palm screen it's so small...

14. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

A guy in the Manchester B&O shop once said the TV should be about the same size as your fist 6" from your face. Or something. oh and stereo speakers need to be 6' apart for optimal quality.

but yea my TV is 20" and I'll probably be 4-6' away from it. Bedroom and all. I don't think it's the actual size that matters though, as the Wii controller picks up where its pointing at the screen as well. i suppose screen size and distance are both relative in this case.

15. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

That was a really cool video, thanks. I'm not really too excited about that first battle game, but the others seem quite fun to play. I think for mario strikers though it would be a fun game to play, but boring to own, like it would get old really quickly, it seems like that with a lot of those types of games, also including the duckhuntish type. That orchestra type game looks like it could have great potential, especially if you can play virtual drums or something...

Red Steel looks great though, a little better than i expected :) .

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The football game was impressive but thats about it....That red steel looks so dull and boring...looks like they cut and paste the characters in there.

Bless

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

What do you mean by that?

18. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Ppsh! Quit infesting these forums with your Eurotrash ways! Play some Madden and learn the REAL football!..you know the one where you use your hands!

[​IMG]

Graww!!! Look at all that armor! Ready to take down a legion of your best "rugby" players!

19. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Have you ever seen modest mouse video that made the band looked like paper in a 3D world....thats what I meant....they look flat....not the paper mario flat but its like the game siren for the PS2...they used this style for the human faces that looked crazy.

Bless

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! it's to keep the 3 brain-cells inside every jocks head from spilling out...

They need to see some real rugby ears.. for the meaning in hardness. :D

I know what you mean. When they strafed?? WTF was that!! No motion or animation of physically moving, added to the lack of facial expression when they are supposed to be taunting you too..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: to be honest - i thought it looked poo !!!

22. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea they did look strange, like there was a fixed light hovering around. but add in the high contrast colours and overly bright coronas and bloom - I just think it's part of a comic-book style art direction. Like viewtiful Joe or 13 but to a much lesser extent.

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Exactly, armour. Rugby players are REAL men. They don't need it.

24. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Yup they are. :cool:

25. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

I agree. All the baddies had jagged white outlines around them.

Stikers looked promising.