Leno being shown the door, again?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Mar 20, 2013.

1. macrumors Core

MacNut

It appears that NBC is grooming Jimmy Fallon to take over for Jay Leno by 2014 and move The Tonight Show back to NYC. Of course Leno could throw another hissy fit and get the show back.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/b...new-york-with-fallon.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

2. macrumors P6

Peace

I read that. LOL

Will the big chin guy ever just retire.

3. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Kimmel's ratings are up, Letterman is set to retire in a few years. NBC will fall behind in the younger audience. Lets say it's Kimmel and Fallon going after the younger crowd, where does Ferguson fit in.

4. macrumors P6

Peace

Ferguson will probably keep his time slot. He does other stuff too. Movies. Don't think he would be too worried. If you ever watch Ferguson you'd know he tries his best to upset the CBS applecart.

I'm ticked off that he has retired the rabbit. I used to love those puppets.

But Leno ? I have no love for him at all. I wish he were gone.

5. macrumors G5

jav6454

6. macrumors G5

yg17

I kinda figured Ferguson would replace Letterman. But I'm not sure if Ferguson could get away with some of the raunchier humor he does at the earlier time slot. I'd like to see Ferguson replace Letterman, but only if he doesn't have to tone it down, because he's great. The only late night guy I watch with any regularity.

Leno has never been funny. Never will be. Take him off the air for good this time.

7. macrumors 65816

designs216

Well, he had a pretty good run and even managed to make a comeback once. I don't think most of us would feel too sorry for him if this were the end of the line. Were I in his shoes, I'd go quietly into retirement and relish my millions.

8. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

CBS owns the Ed Sullivan Theatre, would they move Ferguson to NY to take over for Dave? I think Craig is the best of the late night hosts. But as said, can his humor translate to 11:30.

9. macrumors P6

Peace

They could.

But what about Lady Mary ? Lord Mathew has died in an auto accident but he was able to save the Abbey.

:D

10. macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

good he stinks ever since the conan conflict i haven't a minute of that big chinned punk

11. macrumors 68000

This won't work - again - unless NBC commits to Fallon for the long term.

He is going to flop at the beginning just like Conan. His style and humor is just so quirky and different from Leno's 'every day man/woman' sort of humor, that it's not going to be received well. In some ways he's a little less odd than Conan, and in others he's even goofier.

I think Fallon could make it work in the long term, but as we saw with Conan, are the executives willing to wait out an immediate plummet in the ratings for a potential long term success?

12. Guest

eric/

I never really saw the appeal in Jay Leno myself.

13. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Ironically, Leno hosts the only show on NBC that consistently wins its time slot week after week.

I think NBC executives are just pissed off because he won't quit bashing the network.

“For the first time in history NBC is going to finish fifth in the ratings period,” Mr. Leno said. “We are behind the Spanish-language network Univision — or as we call it here in Los Angeles: Cinco de Ratings.” He added a series of rapid-fire jokes about how bad off NBC is including: “It’s so bad, ‘The Biggest Loser’ isn’t just a TV show anymore; it’s our new motto.” And: “It’s so bad, NBC called Manti Te’o and asked him to bring in some imaginary viewers.”

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...-and-leno-said-to-have-clashed-over-jokes/?hp

14. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Kimmel is creeping up on Jay and NBC knows it. Just as Letterman won't be there forever at some point Leno has to call it quits. I think the brass at Comcast want to see Leno gone. He might be in the lead for now, (still not sure how that is possible as he sucks.) But the younger crowd doesn't care for Leno and that is the market NBC wants.

15. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Who says?

Look, I don't care for Leno either. But, according to the NYT, he is consistently winning the 18 to 49 age group every week.

"So far, Mr. Leno has continued to win consistently in almost every rating category, including among viewers between the ages of 18 and 49, the chief target for late-night advertisers. Mr. Kimmel won his first week against Mr. Leno in that category, but Mr. Leno has won every week since."

16. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

He is not leading by a huge margin though.

17. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Winning is winning. You don't push out your only show host that's winning their time slot --- especially if you are in a sorry state like NBC.

18. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

NBC “Tonight,” 3.5 million viewers

CBS “Late Show,” 3.1 million viewers

ABC “Kimmel,” 2.7 million viewers**

12:35-1:05 a.m. ET

ABC “Nightline,” 1.6 million viewers**

12:35-1:35 a.m. ET

NBC “Late Night,” 1.7 million viewers

CBS “Late Late Show,” 1.5 million viewers

1:35-2:05 a.m. ET

NBC “Last Call,” 0.9 million viewers

** Since January 8.

19. macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

20. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I can't see Fox spending money for Leno who is at the end of his career.

The reason Fox didn't go after Conan was because the locals want the syndication money they get after late news.

NBC won't be kicking Leno out, they are just not going to renew his contract in 2014.

21. macrumors newbie

The 18 to 49 age group? So, essentially everyone who watches TV at 11:30 at night? Don't let them fool you, that age bracket is specifically designed to not mean anything. The TV-watching habits of 18-year-olds and 49-year-olds are completely different, and they have no business being lumped into one grouping.

22. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The ratings system as a whole is a joke and worthless. The system is outdated and doesn't give accurate numbers.

23. macrumors 68040

Agreed. As more and more people drop cable and go with streaming, the system fails a little more. The younger generation doesn't care when a program airs, they will stream it whenever they're ready.

24. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And the fact that he's winning with such a weak NBC lineup is pretty amazing. I don't really care for him but Comcast may be jumping the gun here.

And it's not NBC that wants the younger viewers, it's what the advertisers pay for.

25. macrumors 601

jaw04005

The article was pointing out he was winning all of those demographics. Nielsen breaks them out accordingly into individual groups.