Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp101

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2016

Lenovo recently launched a new ad for its Yoga 900S 2-in-1 notebook, mocking the "iGuy" stereotype of an Apple fan in comparing the device to the MacBook. The ad shows off the Yoga's reversible hinge, high-resolution touchscreen, and multiple ports, with the supposed Apple fan seeking in vain to show how the MacBook is better and more innovative than Lenovo's notebook.

Amusingly, the ad even makes reference to MacRumors as the "iGuy" plays with the Yoga reversible hinge:Starting at $1099, the Yoga 900S features Skylake Core m processors, a 12.5-inch touch display with up to 2560x1440 resolution, and up to 10.5 hours of battery life in a device measuring 12.8 mm thick and weighing 2.2 pounds. On the connectivity front, the Yoga 900S includes one USB Type-A 3.0 port, one USB Type-C 3.0 port, and one USB Type-A 2.0 port that serves dual duty as the power connector.

(Thanks, killawat!)

Article Link: Lenovo Ad Pokes Fun at Apple Fans, MacRumors Gets a Mention

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
If he's such an "Apple Guy" where's his Mac Pro and/or IIsi or Yosemite or Quicksilver or G5 PowerMac? Seriously a Classic is what he's sporting for a desktop? The Classic should be displayed like a museum collection.

Reactions: Goatllama

bp101

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2016
Swing and a miss for me. I have a Yoga 900 and a 5 year old MBP. The yoga has crashed and had way more issues in 2 months than my MBP has had in 5 years. I'm sure it's mostly Windows related issues but still - no comparison. I use the Yoga for work and my Mac for everything else. Couldn't care less about touch screen or folding into a tablet. My screen on the Yoga is a filthy mess after about 5 minutes of use.

tampageek

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2015
Florida, USA
At least they are running commercials. I haven't seen an ad for a Mac in a very long time. One would think that if a company wants to sell products they would advertise them.

tampageek

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2015
Florida, USA
Wouldn't it make sense to run an ad campaign after a potentially major update this year?
Yes. But that still doesn't explain the past few years. I see Windows commercials all the time even if there's nothing particularly new and exciting about it. They keep the name out there.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Rule 1: If you are going to parody a "Mac guy" don't have him look like a young Bill Gates.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
2 things

Being a member of macrumors since 08 I think it's cool they got a mention on a mainstream ad

I'm not going to hate on the laptop cause I really don't care which is better, I just buy what I like.... however I'm no marketing major but mentioning how great the competition is in an ad cannot be a good thing can it?

shuka.margolin

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009

Lenovo recently launched a new ad for its Yoga 900S 2-in-1 notebook, mocking the "iGuy" stereotype of an Apple fan in comparing the device to the MacBook. The ad shows off the Yoga's reversible hinge, high-resolution touchscreen, and multiple ports, with the supposed Apple fan seeking in vain to show how the MacBook is better and more innovative than Lenovo's notebook.

Amusingly, the ad even makes reference to MacRumors as the "iGuy" plays with the Yoga reversible hinge:Starting at $1099, the Yoga 900S features Skylake Core m processors, a 12.5-inch touch display with up to 2560x1440 resolution, and up to 10.5 hours of battery life in a device measuring 12.8 mm thick and weighing 2.2 pounds. On the connectivity front, the Yoga 900S includes one USB Type-A 3.0 port, one USB Type-C 3.0 port, and one USB Type-A 2.0 port that serves dual duty as the power connector.

(Thanks, killawat!)

Article Link: Lenovo Ad Pokes Fun at Apple Fans, MacRumors Gets a Mention
[doublepost=1468296275][/doublepost]The only problem is that it does not run MacOS

Reactions: now i see it

00sjsl

Contributor
Jul 23, 2011
Hampshire, UK
They've obviously never visited MacRumors if they think it's full of Apple fan boys. There's more Apple hate here than on a Lenovo forum.
But strangly not on this thread. All the comments so far are presenting OSX as if its some how obviously better than Windows and with out its share of annoying features (some copied from MS, eg flat style & lack of window borders).

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
But strangly not on this thread. All the comments so far are presenting OSX as if its some how obviously better than Windows and with out its share of annoying features (some copied from MS, eg flat style & lack of window borders).

For the last year I have experienced far less issue with Windows 10 than OS X, still needing to run a full release behind current, as "it just doesn't work" Have no idea where Apple is going with the Mac, equally as sales indicate it`s the wrong direction...

As for the Ad light hearted fun, nothing more, nothing less...

Q-6

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I don't understand why so many MR readers are so adamantly against Windows. I think Windows is absolutely terrific. Arguably I am more productive when I use Windows. And this is coming from a Mac user. Granted, my Windows machine(s) are not $300 ones from Walmart. Honest discussion--would somebody explain to me the hate?
This isn't really the thread for it (though to be honest, there isn't one), but I'll give you one opinion.

I'm not a zealot, and I know my way around both platforms. I have a side job as the system administrator for a small business with around a dozen managed Windows workstations and a couple of in-house Windows servers, including an AD domain and Exchange server. One of the things I do at my day job is manage a mixed office (part of a much larger managed University network) consisting of around 16 Macs and a dozen Windows boxes, several laptops split across platforms, and a Mac server. Doing friends-family-occasional-recommendation tech support I've worked with nearly every Mac and Windows iteration since the '90s.

I spend a good half of my waking hours, minimum, in front of a computer. My hobbies are almost entirely on a computer as well.

Point being, I have at least some idea what I'm talking about, and I care how much I can get done with a computer.

And the reality is, you can get work done with anything. Some OSes are generally better or more efficient for some tasks than others, but they're all just tools. Sometimes I recommend Windows to a user, if there are certain applications that they need and are better on Windows, sometimes I recommend Macs.

But to me, when I come home at the end of the day, I'd rather use MacOS.

Biggest reasons: I much prefer the registry- and DLL-free drag-and-drop software packaging concept. I vastly prefer the Application-centric UI model to Windows' document-centric one, which I have thought was a mistake from day one and have never been comfortable with. I use and love some niche indie software that's Mac-only. I prefer Pages to Word. It's more resistant to malware. I use and like the app-based services and integration with iOS, rather than having to rely on a web UI for email, calendaring, lists, etc, and being stuck with Google for all of the above.

Other reasons: The hardware is very attractive and reliable. The OS is at least as stable in my use. I like the aesthetic better. I prefer the MacOS's design language. I think the use of Fitt's Law-premium screen edge real estate is measurably more efficient. I prefer the Unix underpinning and CLI to Windows' CLI, and am much more familiar with the syntax and scripting languages. I greatly prefer the App Store-based OS update mechanism to Windows Update. I like the transparent, centralized App Store application update system.

At work, I spend measurably less time keeping Macs running (although things are far more reliable with Win7 than previous versions), field fewer questions about mysterious problems, and fixing things generally takes less time.

And I'm extremely fond of how much easier it is to reinstall, upgrade, or migrate an OSX installation, apps, and users without app reinstallation, or data or user migration hassles. It takes me 1/10th the time to swap out a computer at work if it's a Mac, it's usually almost transparent to the user, and I benefit from that at home, too.

An aside, while Win10 fixes a lot, 8 is an unmitigated disaster and user interface nightmare, combining the worst of a tablet and mouse UI in the most awkward way I could imagine, and making hi-DPI use particularly awkward on small high-res screens--it's telling that my University's IT department decided to skip it entirely, and it has rendered our Surface Pro nearly unusable.

So there's my reasons, anyway.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
If you don't like macos buy a windows machine. If you can't decide buy a mac, specs wise they are same cost and you can run parallels or bootcamp to get yourself windows software too.

I personally can't stand the hidpi scaling on Windows and the only program I use Windows for is being ported to macos shortly.

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
Not sure it's a valid comparison.
I believe those that purchased the MacBook 12" knows what they are getting and what they need.
I have a MacBook 12" myself for on-the-go and never needed ports, I got dropbox, iCloud, Slack, email..etc. for transferring files.

I can tell you three things I don't need, Windows, flip screen, and touch screen. I found touch screens to be extremely power drains on laptops especially on high res screens. I'm not sure who use touch screen enough to give up battery life. Sometimes, more features does not mean it's better.

Bought the Surface Pro 2, don't like it, and bought the Pro 3 to try it again, still don't like it. Stability is just not there with Windows. I can not shut off my Macbook and let it sleep and it can retains battery for weeks. Not windows, it either ran out of juice or it freezes when it wake from sleep.

Seriously Lenovo, even Dell have balls to put Ubuntu Linux on their XPS 13" Developer Edition which IMO are the best Linux compatible portable laptops in the market now, where are your balls Lenovo?
I remember when IBM Thinkpad T40 series used to be the top of the line and super compatible with Linux. Lenovo is destroying IBM's accomplishments and their laptops are no longer the best for open source and linux, shame on you Lenovo. I've thought about getting a T460s for Linux, but the build quality is just not there vs the Macs, and there seems to be driver issues for linux. So Lenovo, until you can bring yourself up to standard, then you are nothing but another laptop with a nice keyboard and a nipple in the middle.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
It may well make people think 'oh in that case I will just wait for the next MacBook!' - nice move Lenovo

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Strange, I'm running a 27-inch 4k display at a Windows 10 desktop PC, scaling set to 150 %, and it's just wonderful. The only horrible thing is software not being developed properly for this Windows scaling, and indeed this might be more complicated than on the Mac platform. Anyway even most Open Source developers have made it by now.

But you know who has NOT made it? Apple. iTunes on Windows still looks blurry on a high-res display.

I'm someone who has elected to use Windows over Mac, but I hate high DPI scaling in the Windows world. It might be ok-ish in single monitor setups, but in dual monitor setups with different per-monitor scaling settings, it's dreadful.

For 12.5-13" laptops like the advertised Yoga, I'd much rather have a 1600x900 display so I can run everything at 100% scaling. The fact that the Yoga only comes in 2560 X 1440 would be a deal breaker for me.
[doublepost=1468312500][/doublepost]
I can tell you three things I don't need, Windows, flip screen, and touch screen. I found touch screens to be extremely power drains on laptops especially on high res screens. I'm not sure who use touch screen enough to give up battery life. Sometimes, more features does not mean it's better.

I'm not bothered about touch per se, but I find being able to write on the screen of my 2-in-1 very helpful.

Obviously depends on workflow, but for me I'd rather rather have this capability built into my main work laptop so I can quickly use anytime, rather than ensure I have a companion device like an iPad Pro with me for this.

Last edited:

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
It still Windows vs OS X (as well as hardware) and secondly, what's the point with a high res screen on a Windows laptop with the truly awful DPI scaling? That's what sets the Retina display apart.

Windows 10 handles any resolution like a charm. Don't give Apple community a bad name.
[doublepost=1468315601][/doublepost]
Swing and a miss for me. I have a Yoga 900 and a 5 year old MBP. The yoga has crashed and had way more issues in 2 months than my MBP has had in 5 years. I'm sure it's mostly Windows related issues but still - no comparison. I use the Yoga for work and my Mac for everything else. Couldn't care less about touch screen or folding into a tablet. My screen on the Yoga is a filthy mess after about 5 minutes of use.
So your Lenovo Yoga is a more useful machine? Apple is for fun only?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.