Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
I think i need a regular lens for my camera right now I have a Canon Zoom Lens EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 and it is terrible for taking close shots. Any suggestions would be great.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
What is your budget?

EDIT: You know, I went looking thats a really old camera for an EOS body. You might consider upgrading to something slightly newer, otherwise great new advances in autofocus and exposure will not be possible. A good all around lens would be something like Canon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM mkII for around $180. But when you say taking close shots you don't mean macro like shots do you?

dylan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Thanks for your reply. I really have no idea what I need I just need to be able to take pictures at a moderate distance and some jewellery shots. Nothing too serious. The lens that's on there is just way too bulky.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
dylan said:
Thanks for your reply. I really have no idea what I need I just need to be able to take pictures at a moderate distance and some jewellery shots. Nothing too serious. The lens that's on there is just way too bulky.

I have a EOS RT, same family as the 620, 630, great camera, still use it for IR Film. I have a 50/2.5 macro, very sharp and compact, the 100 is nice too but fairly large. By the way all of my lenses work and focus great with RT, things like predivtive auto focus are of course greatly improved on the newer cameras.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
dylan said:
...I just need to be able to take pictures at a moderate distance and some jewellery shots. .

How large is the subject? will the subject fill the frame? If you are talking about filling the frame with a diamond ring that's serius macro work.

If the subject is smalle then about 2 inches tall that cncider a "real" macro lens. Using one that is 100mm would give you some working distance but a 60mm would do fine too. Also thing about lighting. How you light the shoot is the single most important thing.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I still need a budget. Are you wanting to take pictures of small things really close, or you just mean being able to focus on slightly closer stuff than your 75-300mm will get? Are you looking for a zoom or a prime?

dylan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Budget is tight. We just need some good images for a jewelry site. The pieces are 2-3 inches. I am thinking about selling it and getting a good digital.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
dylan said:
Budget is tight. We just need some good images for a jewelry site. The pieces are 2-3 inches. I am thinking about selling it and getting a good digital.
Selling it to get a good digital, but budget is "tight"?.

Well being as how small they really are your best bet is a macro lens. Cheap one would be the Sigma 50mm f2.8 DG macro. Really nice lens, on ebay you should find them for probably less than $200.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
dylan said:

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish as a long term goal, you may find a digital P&S as an affordable option till you cross over to a DSLR.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Just hearing the word macro was a great help... thats how much i know about this stuff :p Right now I have 2 sub $300 digitals I could sell as well that would let me get a Canon Powershot SD500 Would I be able to get good enough close-ups with something like that?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
dylan said:
Just hearing the word macro was a great help... thats how much i know about this stuff :p Right now I have 2 sub $300 digitals I could sell as well that would let me get a Canon Powershot SD500 Would I be able to get good enough close-ups with something like that?

I don't know about the Canons, but one feature the Nikon Coolpix line is especially known for is their ability to do macro photography very well. If you know anyone who has a CP 995, for instance, that camera is stellar in doing macros. Maybe you could borrow one....

Don't forget, you'll also need to consider how you're going to light the subjects to show them to their best advantage. Lowel makes a device called the "Ego," which is a small freestanding set of special lights behind a diffuser. There is also a white cardboard reflector which comes with this and it helps to add extra, softer light on the opposite side. Or, of course, you could take advantage of the best lighting of all -- the sun -- and set up your shot in the sun.

Good luck!

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
dcrsource.com always does a bit of macro on their reviews. Canon cameras like the S2 pro shoot really good macro shots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.