Lenses for Canon Digital Rebel EOS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by summero, Apr 3, 2007.

1. summero macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Hey people! Can anyone recommend me some good lenses for my camera? Are there any good fisheye lenses for a Canon Digital Rebel EOS? Thanks in advance :)
  2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I'd recommend looking at some of these links:

and then looking through some of the many lens recommendations threads that have already been posted, and then start again with more specific questions.
  3. esco macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Not sure about fish eye lenses, but when I started off with my digital rebel xt, i had a 17-85 f4.0-5.6 IS and it did wonders. Might wanna check out the Tamron 28-75 as well, heard it does pretty well on rebels.
  4. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    On a 1.6 body like the Rebel, Canon's 15mm fisheye isn't going to have much of a fisheye effect at all. You have to have a full frame camera to get the true fisheye effect.
  5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    If you want a fisheye get the Nikon 10.5mm It works as a fisheye even on a crop body like the D50. Cheaper to buy the Nikon Body + lens than a digital Canon fisheye setup as you'd need a Canon full frame body and a not-cheap canon lens.

Other options: (1) Buy a manual focus film body and a manual fisheye lens. There is no need for AF with a fisheye as the DOF is from like 2 inches to infinity. If you are buying used film SLRs and want a fisheye, look at Nikon. They made a lot of fisheyes. Nikon invented the fisheye lens for 35mm cameras (2) Use Photoshop. Take a panoramma, say a 3x3 matrix stitch then together and then apply a strong flens distortion filter.
  6. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2006
    Stuck beween a rock and a hard place
  7. eyun macrumors newbie

Apr 17, 2007
    Or you could buy the Sigma 10-20mm for about $500. Canon makes a 10-22mm for about $750, I believe.
  8. beavo451 macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2006
    Those aren't fisheyes.
  9. sjl macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Both of which are extreme wide angle, but not fisheyes. They are fine lenses if you want an extreme wide angle view, but if you want a fisheye, they are not the lens to get.

Sigma makes an 8mm fisheye which may be a useful option. I don't know, having not looked at this in detail.
  10. seenew macrumors 68000

Dec 1, 2005
    No, but I had the 10-22, and it was a spectacular lens for a 1.6 crop body. Had to sell it for a FF equivalent, though, for my Elan. :( Got the 17-40 f4L, though! :D