Leopard’s blurry Preview

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 10, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Photos
    Link: Leopard’s blurry Preview
    Description:: A side by side comparison of a 2,959 x 2,115 photo I took seen in both Leopard’s Preview (left) and Tiger’s Preview (right). Both are approximately half size, scaled using Preview’s “Zoom to Fit” command. If you click the above image, you will see that Tiger’s Preview shows a decidedly clearer picture than Leopard’s.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors regular

~David

You think they could have used a more vibrant picture for the example... Cause I don't notice any difference.

3. macrumors G3

clevin

i wonder why?

PS. Leopard's UI is just too dark...!!! more so when I look at it more...

4. macrumors regular

~David

They don't even have the windows set to the same size. The Leopard window is larger, so obviously it's going to be stretched more, and therefore, more blurry.

5. macrumors 603

shadowfax

This was my first thought. how retarded.

I have noticed in Tiger that Preview does really funny things when you hit cmd-option-0 (I think that's what it is--just click on "original size")--it often doesn't show the right original size for me.

6. macrumors 6502a

Interesting. It's definitely more blurry in Leopard. And for those concerned about the sizes being different, the follow up article addresses that. Still more blurry in Leopard.

I like it darker. It puts a greater focus on the actual content of a window, especially if I'm viewing an image or video.

7. macrumors regular

gotta be a fake... the leopard preview window still has the tiger traffic light buttons (too dark). Maybe they used a beta.

8. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As they say in the second article, look at making sure Preferences==>Images==>Respect image and screen dpi for scale

is checked.

9. macrumors regular

BOOMBA

10. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Looks like it's a problem with the algorithm Preview 4 uses as QuickLook shows it as clearly as Preview 3.0.9 (Tiger).

11. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

It's weird that Apple does such a good job building on frameworks in some areas and not in others. Why would they use different algorithms for this? Why would they use different DVD playback functions for DVD Player and Front Row? These seem like good applications of frameworks...

12. macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah - This is bothersome for those of us working with images professionally...

Sure we have have Lightroom, Photoshop, iPhoto, but Preview is easy and intergraded into many workflows. I hope this is corrected in 10.5.1.